• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Help: changed tubes and now no sound??

Praetorian

Hi everyone

Short version is my amp was working fine 2 days ago until my 5 year old decided to remove the tubes from my Modified Fender Blues Jr and play bouncies with them. Blew a EL84 power tube and a pre amp 12Ax7. I replaced these and they all glow nicely but only a feint sounds comes out of the amp when I plug my Les Paul straight in. Cleaned contacts and re-seated all tubes plus swapped out all tubes with other working ones from another amp, same result. Help, any ideas or is it off to my expensive tech?:bonk

cheers

Prae

Definitely check the speaker and connections. Having raised four 5 year olds at one time or another; in my experience if they've had time to take something out, they've also had time to put something in, or to "modify" something that wouldn't come out. Check for "extra" parts - the amp may be even more modded now, and see if any contacts, jacks, or wiring (trannies) etc. has/have been bent, loosened, or disconnected.
Then, take a breath and be glad you have a 5 year old. They turn into 15 year olds far too quickly.

WaltC

Is there an extension speaker jack on a Blues Jr, I forget? If so, is your speaker plugged into it or the actual speaker jack? I've done this (at a gig in the dark of course) and got a scare for a short while, so maybe it's happened to you.

Praetorian

Definitely check the speaker and connections. Having raised four 5 year olds at one time or another; in my experience if they've had time to take something out, they've also had time to put something in, or to "modify" something that wouldn't come out. Check for "extra" parts - the amp may be even more modded now, and see if any contacts, jacks, or wiring (trannies) etc. has/have been bent, loosened, or disconnected.
Then, take a breath and be glad you have a 5 year old. They turn into 15 year olds far too quickly.
Thanks guys, I have already done this and the speaker connection is all good. ????

Praetorian

Is there an extension speaker jack on a Blues Jr, I forget? If so, is your speaker plugged into it or the actual speaker jack? I've done this (at a gig in the dark of course) and got a scare for a short while, so maybe it's happened to you.
Yes and Yes :)

cap47

The 5 year old could have flexed a socket too much and cracked a connection or bent a pin connection out of place. Check for contact issues between pins and sockets. Check solder for dull finish or cracks. It is not logical to assume the 5 year old gently removed them pulling in the logical direction!

Praetorian

The 5 year old could have flexed a socket too much and cracked a connection or bent a pin connection out of place. Check for contact issues between pins and sockets. Check solder for dull finish or cracks. It is not logical to assume the 5 year old gently removed them pulling in the logical direction!
Thanks Charlie. Sounds a bit out of my league, off to the tech, damn it. Guy charges like $80 just to look at it.:jo

Peteyvee

Premium Platinum Member
Are you also 100% positive that all the tube pins are in the right positions and the sockets are tight? And look for that half eaten sandwich. It's probably in there somewhere... ;)

Praetorian

Are you sure the tubes are in the right sockets?
:huh Yes, I'm basic but not that dumb. Tubes in correct place and are firm. Have used newish tubes in known working condition in each slot. Off to the tech today. My bet is cracked solder joints at socket base.

cheers

:bonk

Praetorian

:huh Yes, I'm basic but not that dumb. Tubes in correct place and are firm. Have used newish tubes in known working condition in each slot. Off to the tech today. My bet is cracked solder joints at socket base.

cheers

:bonk
Yep, tech confirmed. 2 socket solder joints cracked from jiggleing the socket. $88 not too bad so I'm happy to be rockin again.:dude

Trending Topics