Help Choose Metal Pedal

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Douge, May 22, 2006.

1. Douge

Douge Member

I have all kinds of low to mid gain pedals. I need a really good High Gain Pedal that can do Old Metal to New Metal. With not too much noise! Which of these Pedals will do it???

DNA Analogic GR-2 Gain Fxxker II
    Damage Control Demonizer
    G2D Morpheus
    Subdecay Blackstar
    Keeley Modded Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
    Cmatmods MT-2 Metal Zone
    Monte Allum Modded Boss MT-2 Metal Zone

Thanks For Your Suggestions!!

2. carltonh

carltonh Member

Probably all of them, + the MI Audio Tube Zone and Crunchbox would be excellent.

3. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

For the record, the CMATMODS and Monte Allum mods for the MT-2 are one and the same. Chad just does the mods for you, while Monte sends 'em to you.

Also, check out Indyguitarists Brad mod for the MT-2. It's beautiful:
    http://www.indyguitarist.com/soundclips/mt2_Brad_1.mp3

Also, a Tonebone Hot British with an EQ after it (with scooped mids) gives the best metal sound I've ever heard

4. DocRock

DocRock Supporting Member

That sounded really good.

5. gulliver

gulliver Member

I had the Tube Zone, to me it had more of a fusion tone, too compressed and processed sounding for metal IMHO.

I just picked up an MXR Dime pedal, the solid colored one rather than the camo one. I'm still messing with it, but I really like the non-dime tone (with the switch and yellow light off). It's in the ball park of my DIY keeley modded DS-1, but not as big sounding ... more mid and high focus. It seems to have more useable high gain than the DS-1. I also have an H&K tube factor for high gain and like the Dime better for faster playing, although the H&K is very special.

You can find the Dime new for $70 with power supply.

6. DocRock

I'm in the same boat as you, Douge. I'm not playing Slayer, but I am trying to find that perfect "in your face" pedal. I use a Klon Centaur for all of my "classic" needs, but I've been trying to find the perfect pedal for great crunch with string-to-string definition, as well as singing, sustaining, over-the-top leads, ala Joe Satriani, Randy Rhoads, Reb Beach, Nuno Bettencourt, George Lynch, etc.

So far I've tried:

Fulltone OCD (v.1)
    MI Audio Crunch Box (v.1)
    HBE Big D
    HBE Power Screamer
    Keeley DS-1 Ultra/SEM

Of all of those, I liked the Crunch Box best. However, I felt that it was a bit too dark in the EQ and a bit too noisy overall. I have not heard the new version of the Crunch Box. Anybody who's got one is welcome to chime in!!!

What ended up kicking the Crunch Box off my board was a DNA Analogic GainFxxker II. That thing kicks major ass. I'm now in the process of seeing what can trump the GF2. I got the Keeley DS-1 after the GF2, but the Keeley didn't measure up. Not even close. I have heard good things about the discontinued Zoom analog pedals. They are hard to find. For heavier, detuned stuff, people rave about the Tri-Metal TM-01. That one is easier to find than the other one, the Hyper Lead HL-01. I'm told that that one is the ****. I managed to snag one on Ebay last week, and it should be coming today. Perhaps that will trump the now-undefeated GainFxxker. I'll post a follow-up.

I've heard that some others worth trying are:

Subdecay Blackstar
    GGG BSIAB II
    ToneBone Hot British
    Barber Direct Drive
    EMMA ReezaFRATzitz
    T-Rex Mudhoney
    V-Stack

Anybody else have any thoughts they'd like to share? I'm not trying to hijack the thread, I just feel that some of us are after the same thing, so this information could be useful to everybody.

Best,

Doc :dude

7. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Doc, nothing says in your face like the Tonebone Hot Brit, although it is finnicky with amps. It doesn't like being stacked either!

However, it's no one trick pony and it's hard to get a bad sound outta it

8. DocRock

Well, I am using what's basically a JTM45 Plexi. Do you think the Hot British would like that? Or would it be too "Marshall-on-top-of-Marshall?"

9. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Sadly, my knowledge of amps is not that extensive. I do know the Hot Brit does not sound optimal going into an amp that's not spot-free clean, so your only problem in my opinion would be if it would be redundant if you can get that sound outta your amp.

10. Stormin

Stormin Supporting Member

I find it's so hard to go wrong with the MT-2 Metal Zone, especially given the price. I can get all of the Rectifier type sounds I need as well the '80s Hot Rod Marshall stuff. I think the parmetric mid is what seals the deal. You can basically emphasize what frequencies see the mid gain.

Did I mention incredible versatility for the price?

...Stormin!

11. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I hate to respond to every post on this thread, but I agree with stormin. While not the greatest hi-gain pedal ever made, I found the MT-2 (dialed in meticulously) was actually quite a useable pedal.

Marshall's answer to the MT-2, the jackhammer, is a great pedal. I tried one out at the store, and then bought one a few months later, and I liked it both times! Heck, I liked it even more than my modded DS-1! Don't ask me why I sold it instead.....

12. gulliver

gulliver Member

The Metal Zone supposed to be a lot like the MXR Dime. A friend of mine swears by his through his old marshall. We're going to have to compare sometime.

13. Alex Law

Alex Law Member

+1

I remember when you were going to order one - I'm glad you ended up liking it!

Finding a pedal that's exactly the sound you have in your head for metal is a bit tricky; a pedal is, after all, just a pedal. That said, the DNA Analogic GainFxxker II is really very good... I've not found anything in the same league yet.

14. DocRock

Cool Alex, thanks for remembering!!! Yeah, I'm very pleased with the GF2. I think that, in a lot of ways, DNA Analogic or Godlyke or whomever writes their ad copy is actually doing themselves a disservice by marketing that pedal as being "only" for really heavy "nu-metal." I keep that Fxxk knob at about 9:00, with the drive maxed, the Cut knob at about 2:00-3:00, and set level to taste--and it's a "wicked sensation!!!" That pedal can do a lot of stuff besides the new stuff. I got loads of 80's Marshall tones out of it using those settings.

Thanks for all the tips you gave me back before "the big crash!"

Cheers,

Doc :BEER

15. Alex Law

Alex Law Member

You're welcome!!! I agree completely about the ad copy - if they were marketed differently, I think they'd sell a LOT more as soon as the word got out about what these things can do. But, being called the "GainFxxker", and at $240, who would try one other than tone-daredevils like us? :D

I owe DT thanks for turning me on to the thing, really... Made it easier to take the risk.

Anyway, groovy. :BEER

16. DocRock

My Zoom Hyper Lead HL-01 arrived in the mail today. That's the GF2's next challenger. We'll see what happens. For $98.00 shipped on Ebay, I may just keep it either way. Man, those are getting really hard to find!!! I, probably like many other TGP'ers, initially dismissed the Zoom, well, because it's Zoom. But I've heard so many great things about these briefly-made analog pedals, that I just had to try one out. We'll see what happens.....

Best,

Doc :)

17. DocRock

Well, the Zoom kicked major ass. Reminded me of a Metal Zone, the way the controls interacted. I think I liked it better than what I remember of the Metal Zone. Actually, I felt that the midrange was far more flexible in the Zoom than in the GainFxxker. That being said, I like the overall tonality of the GF better. I don't really do a lot of "scooped" mids in my style of playing anyway, so the GF still suits my needs better. Look for the Zoom in the emporium!!!

Best,

Doc :dude

18. PFCG

PFCG Member

I think the fulltone OCD in high power mode with the gain cranked is an awsome metal pedal! i love mine, and it really works with your amp. Id check one out

19. DocRock

Do you have the old OCD or the newer version?

20. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

If you can find one, try the (all analog) Zoom Tri-Metal.

I've owned the Gain Fxxker, Keeley Mod Metal Zone, Metal Zone and others. Nothing but nothing gets that metal THING like this pedal from Zoom.

I call it my "stupid" pedal; because it is so cool it's stupid! :messedup