Help choosing a delay

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by starkd12, Jan 17, 2015.

1. starkd12

starkd12 Member

Im on the market for a new delay pedal. I play at my church, hence a lot of Hillsong/U2/ambient stuff, but I also play some blues, rock, country, whatever I'm feeling that particular day. I've had a vox delaylab on my board for a while (it was my first delay pedal) and while the functionality was great, there's a certain weight to the tone that it's lacking. (Does that even make sense?)

I've been considering an eventide timefactor with the three button aux switch to help with presets, etc, but I've also considered getting a Strymon el capistan and running it with something like a DD7. I have a carbon copy that's great for adding to ambient stuff or solos, but I need a little more functionality than what it offers. I'd love to get a timeline, but I'm still in high school and financially I couldn't justify spending $500 for a delay pedal. :(

Thoughts? Suggestions?

2. Justin Hitchborn

Justin Hitchborn Supporting Member

I think the Line 6 DL4 is being sold at really cheap prices right now. Most of the artists you are listening to use one.

3. jordane93

jordane93 Member

How about a used Nova Repeater or Nova Delay. They can be found for around $150 and both can do a lot and are relatively small.

4. Coldacre

Coldacre Supporting Member

DL4 will get you the tones that you desire. great looper too.

5. Paulstarr

Paulstarr Member

6. kenoflife

kenoflife Supporting Member

If you don't need tap tempo or stereo I'd highly recommend combining a Montavillian delay w/ a Dispatch Master - used less than $300 total. Its not the Edge set up but great for ambience and a range of styles. With these my Strymon El Cap sits in a box.
    check out justnick on "perfect pedal pairings": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64b-piG0fDc

Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
  7. Bleakstreak

Bleakstreak Member

I love delay. All of them. I only have an El Cap and Echo Park at the moment. Currently playing Guitar > El Cap > Amp. Aside from a real tape delay I am kinda gassing for an Alter Ego. My buddy just got one. They are pretty cheap right now. The big (DL4 like) one is on sale at $179 most places now. Sounds good in person. Has a 2290 patch that might get you some Edge sounds? It has a midi clock in on it, maybe not your game but, I think it might be a very useful tool at $179.

8. Stratburst70

Stratburst70 Member

I really like the Boss DD20. Very easy to use, very durable (can't say that about the DL4) and gets lots of great tones. That'll give you easy access to your dotted 8th note sounds, plus it has 4 slots for presets.

9. starkd12

starkd12 Member

Ultimately I probably need the tap tempo. I've never been a fan of how the DL4 sounds, but maybe I'm just too picky. I've always liked really warm sounding delays, and from messing around with the timefactor they sound pretty good. The main reason I'm not a fan of the TC nova or the DD20 is because I use a lot of presets, our church has worship nights fairly often where we play 6-10 songs, and I don't really have time to fiddle with any knobs (quick transitions) so even with the presets I'd have to be able to scroll through banks pretty quickly. My thought process was with the timefactor I could scroll through everything fairly easily, or Id get the El cap with a favorite switch, and then put a tap tempo on the DD7 (or something comparable). I've looked at just about every multi-delay on the market (as far as I'm aware) and I'm thinking these might be my best options

10. SteveO

SteveO Member

I absolutely love my Timefactor. You can also use an expression pedal to control any parameter, which gives you all kinds of crazy potential.

11. dankmyers

dankmyers Member

another vote for DD-20 here. I also play a lot of church stuff but also different genres with buddies, and I can't imagine not having one on the board. It sounds great and is very versatile & quick to make changes to suit your need. Can't go wrong.

12. Justin Hitchborn

Justin Hitchborn Supporting Member

Did you try using the analog or tape modes on the DL4? I've always thought they did a great job.