Help Choosing a Police /David Gilmour / Hammock Style Flanger

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Overdriver18, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Overdriver18

Overdriver18 Member

I know that Andy Summers used the Electric Mistress, and the Deluxe EM is always recommended in these flange threads. I also like a lot of Hammock's Music, which utilizes the Fulltone Choralflange for a lot of tones and movement. I unfortunately am not willing to pay the money to get a used Choralflange, and the Deluxe EM box is far too big (as is the case with the Hartman Flanger, which is also too expensive).

For the most part, i want an enhancing effect, not a jet plane woosh.

Please help me with some recommendations as to an appropriate flanger for my uses.

Edit: I've heard a bit about the TC Electronic Vortex...but a lot of conflicting accounts; I like TC's delays, and i like the price, would this get the tone i am interested in, or is there a more preferable flanger?

2. 55hz

55hz Member

Gray MXR 4-knob does way more than Jet Plane swoosh....

This is more leslie...but you can see it does way more than Unchained/Barracuda.

http://youtu.be/KVkU8pqayKI

3. Goldwing

Goldwing Member

The expensive path.. Hartman flanger . BUt you could try the Jacques MeisterSinger or the Boss HF-2. Also, I think that the NovaModulator could get near the tone of the Electric Mistress.

4. Overdriver18

Overdriver18 Member

Do you have any experience with the MXR 2-Knob?

5. meterman

meterman Member

I've got a vintage Deluxe and non-Deluxe Electric Mistress right now, and have had a Hartman in the past.

For similar tones in a smaller cheaper format believe it or not I am using a Boss HF-2 High Band Flanger. All analog, and unlike the standard Boss BF-2 which does all the jet airplane stuff, the HF-2 flanges an octave up, giving a more airy and ethereal tone like the Mistress, without all the midrangey wa-wa-wa type stuff. Beaufiful sounding pedal and there is a mod for it (from Fromel, $20 for the kit and $50 installed) that makes it even better. I got mine for $80, and so did a friend just last week. Prices have crept up to $120 on some though, probably due to TGP :D

BTW I'm going to install the Fromel mod in my friend's pedal as soon as the kit arrives. Mine sounded substantially better than his so I think mine has already been modded but I'm not sure. Best sounding Boss pedal I've played by far though....

6. DGTCrazy

DGTCrazy Moderator de Emporio Staff Member

7. DrGonzo

DrGonzo Gold Supporting Member

I think you'd be happy with the Hartman based upon what you are looking for in a Flanger. It is big and expensive, but worth it to me.

8. 55hz

55hz Member

Unfortunately, I don't. I grabbed this by sheer luck and chance...and good will. It can be subtle. I guess it's all in the one you get, vintage-wise.

9. Overdriver18

Overdriver18 Member

And this might be what i end up with. I'd certainly prefer to not spend that much money, though.

From what i've heard, the 2 knob is more jet-plane, so i'll check more into the 4 knob in the meantime. Thanks.

10. NachoMan77

NachoMan77 Member

Hello Paul, do you remember me? Bought your TopHat Club Deluxe a couple of years ago. It seems our paths have crossed again..sort of :)

Today I just bought a MIT HF-2 which is on it's way to Frommel for the mods. I was gasing for a Hartman, as I'm also chasing the Summers/Gilmour flange sound, but the size and price steered me over to the HF-2 after reading your comments and everyone elses on the HF-2 thread. For $95 shipped (after mods) I feel it's a nice score.

It would be great, since you had a Hartman, if you could post your HF-2 settings (knobs and trim pots) to get the Andy sound. This will be my first flanger ever, so I need a well known starting point.

N.

11. Soothsayer

Soothsayer (Paul) Supporting Member

^^^HF-2! Its a killer little flanger.

12. meterman

meterman Member

hey Nachoman, of course how is the amp treating you?

Wow $95 shipped after mods is a killer price!

I can't really comment on the Hartman, sorry. I got one used and it didn't sound very good, I suspect somebody had screwed up the trimpots, no way to know but based on others' comments I doubt it was representative of how the pedal is supposed to sound. I would have sent it in for a tuneup but it was still too big for the board I was putting together.

The HF2 I got at the same time and was really impressed. I've never been a big flanger fan, until I got the vintage Mistress. The HF2 has that vibe, not to say it sounds the same or is as good b/c nothing touches the vintage Mistress (that has drawbacks of its own) but it's subtle and musical and beautiful sounding IMHO, like the Mistress. Lots of sounds available from slow deep flange to chorusy with the rate up to almost Leslie-like with the resonance up. For Andy Summers you want a faster more chorusy sound, not too deep and rate probably around 2:00-3:00. For Gilmour do a slow deep sweep with a bit of resonance, hit it with a fuzz and follow it with some nice delay and you'll be smiling :D With the resonance cranked up it can get very trippy sounding but in general it's fairly subtle and "natural" sounding for a flanger, which I think is why I like it. This pedal sounds great clean and with distortion and doesn't cover up your sound like some flangers do when hit with dirt. I was at a show once and there was a long guitar solo where all I heard was the flanger sweep, this is not that pedal! I think it's b/c the flanged frequencies are an octave up and "out of the way" of the main signal.

Another good option is the Maxon FL-9, the newer version of the Ibanez FL-9 which is a beautiful sounding but noisy flanger, the Maxon is quieter

13. Theroyalconsort

Theroyalconsort Member

If footprint is an issue you could try the Neo Mistress - Cheap, small and the youtube footage seems pretty impressive for a pedal at that price point.

14. zosozep7

zosozep7 Gold Supporting Member

I picked up my Hartman for $170 in the emporium. Its totally the best flanger ive played. The filter is to die for too. I actually like the filter option better than the flanger itself and it really nails Gilmours tone. The only problem is real estate. It takes up alot but not enough for me to take it off.

15. ChorusCrackpot

ChorusCrackpot Member

nice demo. I should compare it to my Deluxe Electric Mistress.

16. JRBain

JRBain Member

Either the Hartman or the HF-2 will do it. The BF-2 is really nice also.

17. dr.tdw

dr.tdw Member

Can the Strymon Orbit Flanger get into the Electric Mistress zone? Seems pretty versatile.

18. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

There is also the new E-H Stereo Polychorus...

Looks cool.

19. mike361

mike361 Member

The new digitech I stomp pedal has a mistress flanger that can be loaded in. I just got the pedal yesterday so I have not tried it yet. So far I have tried the delay and od it comes with and both seem very good. A big suprise was the od, very good sounding. I actually bought it for the mistress and rat clone. Going to try it today.