• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Help Choosing Modulation For Worship

What Modulation Effect Should I Add To My Worship Pedalboard?

• Chorus / Vibrato

Votes: 15 48.4%
  • Octave

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • Tremolo

Votes: 9 29.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 12.9%

• Total voters

ry-guy

Get a Boss MD200/500. Light chorus, vibrato, tremolo can be great on rhythm chords or swells. It has the Overtone which can get some great octavey Organ tones, fun for leads or pad swells. Filter or wah tones for staccato funky parts.
Different genres obviously even within P&W, but since a lot is EDM based, a dynacomp deluxe is what i would get for those funky clean rhythm parts.

yeatzee

So I have some extra coin to add some modulation to my board and wanted to reach out to you guys to see what would be best. Overdrives, delays and reverbs are covered perfectly.

I only play church / worship style music. On my own I’ll play other styles for fun like blues, rock, etc.

Should I go w/ octave, chorus/vibrato, tremolo, or maybe even a compressor?
I’ve generally felt a compressor for worship and my style was more used for boosting the front end of an amp for sweetening / livening up the tone.
I also feel I don’t see any main worship boards with tremolo - even though I like the effect quite a bit.

Any advice is great appreciated! Thank you!

(I created an “other” option in the poll for other things I’m considering too… like a compressor maybe or even a univibe type effect or envelope filter. If you choose other, please specify in the comments. Thanks!)
Most fun / unique would be a harmonic trem. I particularly love the Supro harmonic trem. It's very unique, it will change the tone and it took a bit to really get a feel for it but I use it all of the time now. I don't set the depth very high so it's more subtle volume changes but has that lovely wavy sound and the supro specifically also adds some gain. If you want vibe, that's got it in spades.

Otherwise I'm a big fan of vibrato (VB2) and the chorus (CE2). They're both a little "effect-y" at times for me so I don't use them as much as the harmonic trem, but still good additions to any board.

crazymahler

Gold Supporting Member
I've used all of those effects and then some. I would humbly encourage you to find/use whatever you think makes a beautiful sound to your ears, and not necessarily what you think should be used for "worship style music" or what you see on other "worship pedalboards."
IMHO there's no such thing as "best <piece of gear> for worship."
Any pedal/amp/guitar can be used for that genre (or any other), so long as you think it works for the song and sounds good!

Abandoned

Tweed Tube Tone Purist
I've used all of those effects and then some. I would humbly encourage you to find/use whatever you think makes a beautiful sound to your ears, and not necessarily what you think should be used for "worship style music" or what you see on other "worship pedalboards."
IMHO there's no such thing as "best <piece of gear> for worship."
Any pedal/amp/guitar can be used for that genre (or any other), so long as you think it works for the song and sounds good!
Great advice! Yeah I’m okay with it being an effect that I just enjoy using.
The Q-tron, univibe or harmonic tremolo would be this for me.

tobereleased

though I like the effect quite a bit.
This alone was enough to make me vote trem.

I personally like using trem, chorus and vibrato at different times in the church context, but it’s almost never “this is the effect used in the recording so I will also use it for this part” - it’s generally “this modulation sound suits the sound I have chosen to use for this song.”

John Mark Painter

Gold Supporting Member
You won’t find a board without a compressor (I’ve worked with a bunch of those artists).
Chorus/Modulated delay woujd be efficient

Here is some of Stuff G’s gear

BlueHeaven

I use the harmonic trem in my HX Stomp XL at church all the time. Like a phaser and trem together. A little softer and less swampy than regular trem with just enough phaser to be interesting. Love it!

He_Ma

I'd say vibrato (WalrusAudio Julia or Boss VB-2) or tremolo of your choice would be the one to get more common P&W tones, but if you church doesn't aim to sound like a record it's totally up to you. Phaser and univibe can be cool too.

Here's little clip showing vibrato in P&W style track. This is helix vibrato model which is based on VB-2:

And ofc octave and compressor are mainstays in many boards. I like compressor more with single coil guitars and I use compressor more for the subtle compression/feel/balancing my tone, than to make my sound drastically different (squishier compression).

Trending Topics

Top Bottom