Help choosing pickup for tele (Low tuning)

Katzenjammer

After doing a lot of research, I'm more confused now than I thought I'd be.

The thing is, I play in an open Drop B tuning on my tele, but I'm not looking for a metal pickup, as I've found there are plenty of. I play a lot of open chords as well as single note riffs, so I need something that is articulate and defined, without sounding to modern. I rely a lot on feed backing as well, in the vein of Adam Jones, so I need something that can achieve this, without me having to stand smack up against my rig. In other words, I need output, but not too much, as I've found that just makes things muddy (I have a Quarter Pounder in my tele now, that I'm not too happy with), and it has to be wax potted.

Here are the options I've narrowed it down to:

- A take on the Broadcaster. Could be a Bareknuckle Flat50, a Seymour Duncan Broadcaster lead or a The Creamery Broadcaster
- Bareknuckle Piledriver (A little too hot, I think, but who knows)

Any other options I've missed?

I live in europe, so I wanna keep it domestic, as I cannot justify adding almost 50% to the cost of an imported pup.

JonnyQ

Skipping non-domestic brands, and beyond what you listed, I would consider tracking down some vintage PUPs. Late 60's tele pups sound articulate with lower turnings.

What gauge strings do you use, I'd imagine 12's or higher?

Dubious

I run all my axes tuned to drop c. Ive got a pine parts tele

GFS makes a tele bridge pickup with pole pieces from pbass pickups

its phat and articulate and cheap!

Katzenjammer

Skipping non-domestic brands, and beyond what you listed, I would consider tracking down some vintage PUPs. Late 60's tele pups sound articulate with lower turnings.

What gauge strings do you use, I'd imagine 12's or higher?
Yes. I use DR DDT 12-60.

Are they "tight" sounding, though?

Katzenjammer

I run all my axes tuned to drop c. Ive got a pine parts tele

GFS makes a tele bridge pickup with pole pieces from pbass pickups

its phat and articulate and cheap!
I don't want it to be fat, though. That's the main problem I'm having with the Quarter Pounder. I'm thinking it'd be better with a less bassy pickup and more mids/chime.

fendergeek

Silver Supporting Member
I've been through lots of Tele bridge pups and found the SD Jerry Donahue worked
out best.

PosterBoy

I love the BK piledrivers, they are hot, but really versatile, and they are great on open chords, they add a fatness but are still articulate

Monotremata

Im tuned down to C# and mine sounds plenty fine with the stock 'vintage' pickup in my Classic 60s.. Its not 'fat' like a humbucker but its pretty ballsy with my AC15 and Boss HM-2.. Nice thick cutting mids, my palm mutes are nice and bright, and you can still hear all the notes I play when chording. Sounds like its right up your alley and Im pretty sure theyre really cheap..
When I got the 60s I was worried about losing my heavy tone and was ready to order a Quarter Pounder or GFS Fatbody to put in it, but after spending a few hours with it, I decided to leave it stock. What it came with was perfect.
The Fatbody BTW is the GFS pickup mentioned above with the PBass pole pieces. Its just GFS's copy of the Quarter Pounder, just like the Puncher is their copy of the Cool/Hot Rail.. Theres also an overwound 10K Fatbody as well but thats probably even further from what you want..

Bonus points to Fender, that thing was already tuned to C# right out of the box for me so I could jump into some Sabbath riffs right away haha.

Trending Topics