Help choosing rehearsal amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by rastaman, Jan 2, 2006.

1. rastaman

rastaman Member

I'm a Marshall man through and through, allright, I know I lost some of you with that but I have to be honest. The band I just joined rehearses in a VERY small room, don't need but 10-15 watts of tube power at most. So I need a low powered tube amp for rehearsals and possibly for very small gigs. Been studying Princeton Reverb, Hot Rod Deluxe, Blues Junior, plus I've been waiting for a Marshall Studio 15 to pop up on Ebay. Any other suggestions or opinions? I'd love to just find and get the Marshall but these other amps got me intrigued.

2. ScottR

ScottR Member

Check out the Randall RM 20. It's low watt and you can use whatever preamp you can imagine in it. There are 17 (I think) different preamp modules available right now and I think like 8-10 more after NAMM

3. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Hey, if you're a Marshall guy, an 18w would be perfect. Cheapest way is to buy a Pro Jr. and get one of the 18w forum guys to mod it to 18w specs-cost you about another $150 or so.

4. gregory70

gregory70 Supporting Member

What's this? I haven't heard of it. Can it be done to a Blues Jr. as well? I would be very interested as I am looking for a lightweight, plexi-like combo, but lack the green to get what I really want.

5. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

Get an attenuator and rehearse with your regular amp. Most attenuators sound quite good up to -8dB and that would knock a 100W amp down to the 15 watt range.

6. bob-i

bob-i Member

If you're a Marshall man and are looking for a low powered head, I have just what you're looking for. It's based on the Marshall preamp, but I added cascaded channels, instead of bridging. It's about 12 watts through a single EL-34. Orignally I had planned a "pull to boost" function but removed it as this amp has plenty of gain.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://www.patmedia.net/bob-ingram/SE%20EL-34/Jam.mp3
    http://www.patmedia.net/bob-ingram/SE%20EL-34/Clip.mp3

Tubes...

2 - JJ ECC83C (12AX7)
    1 - Chinese EL-34
    1 - Sovtec 5U4

Power - approx 12 watts

Controls - Boost - volume - treble - middle - bass

Output 4 -8 or 16 ohms switchable.

If you're interested PM me.

7. jreardon

jreardon Member

I would go with the Blues Junior for a practice amp. I often gig with mine and have never found it to be boxy. Superb little amp.

8. rastaman

rastaman Member

Thanks, I'm studying that option right now.:AOK

9. sws1

sws1 Member

Run to Guitar Center and pick up a Crate (yes Crate) Palomino V32. 30 watt EL84 class A, 1x12. Clean and drive channel, each with mid boost. Not very heavy. Not overly loud. Similar to Blues Jr but thicker, and multiple channels. Read the reviews. It's a killer amp for $599.

10. rastaman

rastaman Member

The problem is i use a 2061X and Artist3023 into 2- 2/10 cabinet with a ToneBone AB box as my gig rig. A combo amp is all that will fit into this space, theres 6 of us in a 10X10 room :NUTS . I brought the dual head setup w/ an attenuator and a Les Paul and got the gig :D . I'm thinking the 18 watt would be the ticket but I just dropped a bundle on a home theater and furniture upgrade so I'm looking for a small 10 to 15 watt tube amp for rehearsal.

11. gregory70

gregory70 Supporting Member

Would you mind letting me know what you find out? You can pm me or email direct at gbarker1@niu.edu. Thanks.

12. rastaman

rastaman Member

Wouldn't mind at all. :BEER

13. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

TopHat Club Deluxe works for me.....can be dialed in for very Marshally sounds.

14. bug0711

bug0711 Supporting Member

Orange 15 watter or a Vox AC-15 might be an option. A Pro Junior with a Soldano GTO / Tonebone pedal would be a good little rig as well.

I knew a guy that used a JTM30 combo in that same scenario, and loved it.

Best of luck in your quest!

:BEER

15. rastaman

rastaman Member

Thanks, those are great ideas as well:RoCkIn

16. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

Same here, great amp.

17. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

You can get a VOX Valvetronix AD15VT/30VT used that would be dirt cheap, and get you those sounds very nicely. Very versatile, whisper quiet, and the best modeling sounds out there for the price.

Won't break your back either.

EP

18. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

That amp Bob has looks like a good deal. The Innards look good to me. It might fit right into an 18 watt cab. You could even find one used around here or the Bay.

Also the Orange AD 15/12 is an excellent little grab and go all tube amp that has an awsome sound. I had one that I got rid of and shouldnt have. BTW I think Vintage 30 Speakers are the absolute way to go in an open back Combo. Grenbacks dont do well in an open back. The Bass just kinda farts out. Thats why the Vintage 30 was developed to sound like a Greenback in a closed back cab.

The little Siverface Priceton Reverbs or Princetons are a great little Amp with the right speaker in em and a good set of tubes.

Bottom Line is the choices are endless but ya cant get there for nothing. If I had some spare change I'd spot you the difference ya need to get there but I'm kinda tapped out right now.

Those Studio Monitors, Senheiser E609 and Sennheiser Headphones set me back some change. But Hopefully I'm set for a little while in the studio. Its not the best in the world but it will do the do. Now I just needd a Hot Plate so I can give you yours back. Though I might could tell ya if you want it come get it. :D Sorry guys inside joke.

19. rastaman

rastaman Member

If I made your money I'd have an 18 watt HW and AB it w/ my 2061X :D ;) :p . Thanks for the advice guys, I'll have to decide the rest on my own.

20. slipbeer

slipbeer Supporting Member

Fargen Miniplex ought to get you where you want to go.