Help choosing speakers, alnico vs ceramic

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by shibby, Jul 3, 2008.

1. shibby

shibby Member

Hi,

I'm looking to upgrade the 6" speaker in my vox DA5 to an 8". the two speakers i'm looking at are the Weber sig ceramic and alnico. however I can't decide which of the 2 are best for me. what are the tonal differences btw these 2 speakers? thanks

2. wildschwein

wildschwein Member

Generally speaking, ceramics usually have a tighter bass response and alnicos are a bit looser and warmer sounding.

3. shibby

shibby Member

are most speakers ceramic?

4. wildschwein

wildschwein Member

Yeah; I think ceramic speakers are now more common - as they are cheaper to produce. Aluminium, Cobalt and Nickel, which make up the Alnico alloy, are expensive. But, you'll see that when you compare prices between Alnico and ceramic speakers.

5. biggreen

biggreen Member

There actually isn't a price difference between the 8" weber ceramics and alnicos. From the research I did before my upgrade, it seems that Alnicos have a natural compression that is lacking in ceramics, which would give them that warmer sound. The vox has a ceramic in it already, so if you want more of the same type of tone but fuller and louder go with the ceramic. If you want to try something diferent and more vintage sounding try the Alnico, they are only $35 speakers after all. I can guarantee both will sound better.