Help choosing the right interface?

Econ

Silver Supporting Member
I’m currently setting up my first home music studio and need help selecting the right interface to allow my to do the things I’m looking for. Right now I have a pair of ADAM audio A7x monitors, a Mac Studio, a Roland digital piano and an Axe FX guitar modeler. What I want to do is to be able to have all these equipment hook to the interface, so I can play backing tracks, record my guitar, play piano and have all sounds come out of my ADAM monitors. I want to get a UA Apollo interface, but don’t know which model I should get (I’m unclear as to how many audio inputs and outputs the interface should have). Anyway, recommendations you can provide will be much appreciated.

Blix

Wannabe Shredder
Silver Supporting Member
You can do all that with your Axe-FX used as an interface already :)

Radar

I’m currently setting up my first home music studio and need help selecting the right interface to allow my to do the things I’m looking for. Right now I have a pair of ADAM audio A7x monitors, a Mac Studio, a Roland digital piano and an Axe FX guitar modeler. What I want to do is to be able to have all these equipment hook to the interface, so I can play backing tracks, record my guitar, play piano and have all sounds come out of my ADAM monitors. I want to get a UA Apollo interface, but don’t know which model I should get (I’m unclear as to how many audio inputs and outputs the interface should have). Anyway, recommendations you can provide will be much appreciated.
I would start small and expand as you realize your need for more. I started off with a 4 input interface but downgraded to 2 inputs after a year. If you're eyeing UA as a brand, then I would recommend the Volt series. One of the 2 input ones should be a great start.

tribedescribe

Most people buy UA interfaces to use their effects in the studio. If you are not using UA effects then I would look at other interfaces because thats a big part of their cost. For features it seams you only need a 4 input interface with 2 lr outputs and headphones. Things to think about when buying an interface is input/outputs, latency, drivers, sound quality and workflow. Workflow is a big one because not all interfaces offer hands on control or built inn digital mixers with effects. A Rme babyface pro fs would work well for you and offer lots of flexibility. The audient id44 and ANTELOPE AUDIO ZEN Q SYNERGY CORE looks cool and would also fit the bill.

Whats your budget?

claudel

I'm pleased with my Volt 276. It has 2 channels plus DIN MIDI. It has worked mostly flawlessly, has great build quality, sounds amazing, and latency is unnoticeable to me running @ 96Khz into iPad.

I had no need or expectations to be able to run UA plugins or any of the bundled software so there was no disappointments there.

If one wants to run the UA plugins, then Apollo... Otherwise no.

I probably would have been happy with a one channel interface as I rarely/never use both at the same time.

It's a good idea to realistically evaluate needs before mashing the plastic.

Why buy more channels than one will be using?

eclecto-acoustic

Serial tree-hugger
Also chiming in asking for the budget. To me, the value proposition of the UA interfaces isn't there unless software is part of the plan. It's a nice ecosystem, but it ain't cheap.

That aside, if all you need is stereo line inputs for your piano (AxeFX can handle guitar duty), don't bother with expensive stuff. A Scarlett 2i2 is perfect for this.

Stokely

If I was to buy right now it would probably come down to the Audient id14 (or 44) and the MOTU m4. Both seem to have good specs including low latency.

That said, my Behringer umc404hd still works fine. The specs aren't as good but simply but if it ain't broken...the one thing I do wonder is whether another interface or headphone amp would provide more clarity for mixing (I do a lot on headphones). It's the kind of thing that would be hard to tell until you actually compared.

Econ

Silver Supporting Member
Most people buy UA interfaces to use their effects in the studio. If you are not using UA effects then I would look at other interfaces because thats a big part of their cost. For features it seams you only need a 4 input interface with 2 lr outputs and headphones. Things to think about when buying an interface is input/outputs, latency, drivers, sound quality and workflow. Workflow is a big one because not all interfaces offer hands on control or built inn digital mixers with effects. A Rme babyface pro fs would work well for you and offer lots of flexibility. The audient id44 and ANTELOPE AUDIO ZEN Q SYNERGY CORE looks cool and would also fit the bill.

Whats your budget?
Budget is about $1500

ozraves

Silver Supporting Member
I have an Apogee Element 88, which is an 8 channel Thunderbolt interface. I like an eight channel interface as I can leave a lot plugged in such as my two keyboards, my Kemper, a mic and my bass DI. Given your budget of $1,500, you should also consider the MOTU units with eight channels.

The MOTU M4 that has been suggested is a good "get your feet wet" interface as it has two mic preamps and two additional line level channels to get you four channels in.

DownByLaw

Silver Supporting Member
I'm an outlier, but I am very enthusiastic about Antelope interfaces (Discrete 8 in my case). Great plugins and performance with a UI that is easy
to understand. They have interfaces to fit every budget.

Patrick

Econ

Silver Supporting Member
I’ve been doing some reading and evaluating the suggestions offered. I think I’ll probably used the Axe Fx and get also a stereo line mixer.

SciFlyer

Gold Supporting Member
You may want to look at things that have at least 4 inputs. Check out the Focusrite Scarlett 18i8.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom