HELP!!!! Comcast has got me by the b@lls!!

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by runningman, Mar 17, 2017.

1. runningman

runningman Member

Yes, it is less. $5 less. Cable + HBO is worth $5.

2. MustardCap

MustardCap Member

We pay about $75/month just for high speed internet at probably 1/2 your speed. You must be in a large metro area or on the E. Coast because it is way more expensive here. Try Century Link if you are not Metro and then realize sticker shock.

3. Neer

Neer Supporting Member

Tell them that you want to cancel HBO and cable because you are going to go all streaming.

4. Dave Shoop

Dave Shoop Member

I've been thinking about this for years. With so many connected thru social networks why can't a grass roots campaign be started to leverage against these ridiculous monthly fees. I don't mind paying but this is way out of control in my opinion. If we could get half of cable users to tell their providers they are willing to pay $50.00 a month for the services they are receiving and no more. If they refuse 50 % of cable users will cancel at a specific date.
    I am concerned a hit man may be sent out after me for suggesting this but someone's got to do it. I need glasses and a big nose for Ziggy.

Time to grass roots people. Who's got great organizing skills ? It's long over do.

5. 335guy

335guy Member

Well that completely sucks. So if you have cable TV, HBO, and internet, Comcast wants $100 ( which isn't all that bad compared to what many have to pay ). But if you drop down to internet only, you have to pay $95? That's pretty frikin' insane on Comcast's part. Go to the billing forum and PM Comcast Zach.

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Billing/bd-p/AccMngt_Bill

BTW, I have internet only from Comcast. No cable or satellite. However, AT&T is also available here, so I do get to use the threat of leaving Comcast as leverage. I did this last yr when my internet went up $35. I PM'ed Comcast Zach on the billing forum and discussed my situation. And that I'd leave Comcast for AT&T if somehing couldn't be done. He found me another promotion that lowered my bill back to what it had been.

You don't have that leverage unfortunately but it's still worth it to PM a Comcast Admin of the forum and discuss it. Lord knows we can't do anything about Comcast's rates except bitch.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  6. Teleplayer

Teleplayer New Mods On The Block Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I've got great skills. You want the phone number of my agent?

7. runningman

runningman Member

I checked, and Centurylink is not available where I live. But they had a referring link to movearoo.com, which tells you which providers are available by zip code.

Verizon DSL has 15Mbps for $35. We had Verizon 10 years ago, and it sucked ass, but maybe it's better now. I'm not sure 15Mbps is enough, though.

8. Dave Shoop

Dave Shoop Member

Be a part of the cause not a part of the problem. ;)

9. runningman

runningman Member

never mind. I checked Verizon's site, and it's $40 for up to 3Mbps. no thanks.

10. Teleplayer

Teleplayer New Mods On The Block Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I hear you, brother. The whole cable Schtick is horrible.

11. firebird1999us

firebird1999us Member

My mom tried Hughes net and immediately canceled it! Lol

12. runningman

runningman Member

it's an interesting point. define 'necessity'.

cars aren't a necessity if you don't mind walking and/or taking the bus. and waking up at 3am to get to work by 9am.

Refrigeration isn't a necessity if you don't mind buying meal-size portions every single day.

Heat isn't a necessity if you bundle up in plenty of layers.

Indoor plumbing isn't a necessity, if you dig a well and don't mind shitting in a hole in your yard.

The internet is the backbone of our modern economy. It IS a necessity of modern life. Every other modern economy in the world has fast, affordable broadband because they had the foresight to see it coming. Because our leaders are both myopic and bought and paid for, they sold us out to the cable providers, just as they sold us out to the insurance industry on healthcare.

This all could have been prevented, but I believe a day of reckoning is at hand.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
    JWDubois likes this.
  13. Dave Shoop

Dave Shoop Member

and it's like an addiction. Can't live with it , can't live without it. The peoples gotta fight back.

14. El Caballo

El Caballo Retired bar hopping musician

+1000!! I made the switch a few months ago. All the TV I want for $25 a month.

Dave Shoop likes this.
  15. MoPho

MoPho Pho Shizzle

There may be other wireless options out there where an enterprising chap is beaming a wireless radio signal from a nearby water tower or similar structure. Google is your friend. My parents used 4G and a Cradlepoint router/AP for a couple of years until competitive broadband providers moved into their subdivision.

16. VCuomo

VCuomo Member

That's who I've got now - $145/mo for Internet (Basic+, no HBO/TMC/...), cable, and phone.

17. mattball826

mattball826 Member

CABLE LIVES MATTER !

18. 9520575

9520575 Member

I just pay for the Internet connect. Just 86 the TV package. $100 for basic is not worth it IMHO, at least.

I pay $5.99 a month for CBS access, on the Internet so I can watch jeopardy and local news. PBS is free online... not much else worth watching.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  19. Tom CT

Tom CT Old Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Did they take you out for dinner first? :huh

20. DetSlicker

DetSlicker Member

Don't threaten to switch, just tell them I can't afford that so I need to cancel my service. They'll tell you there's nothing they can do for 5 minutes then put you through to the cancellation dept who will keep you at the same price. I've done it about 3 times now.

Killcrop likes this.