help - creating head out of combo!!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by tbone666, Aug 25, 2008.

1. tbone666

tbone666 Supporting Member

ok - so i've got a fender dual professional that was badly damaged in shipping - just the box though, not the chassis or anything in it.

anyway - i measured out the chassis, and as i guessed, it was the same dimensions as the fender twin reverb head sold by mojotone. i like the flexibility and weight of the head/cab instead of combo, so i went ahead and ordered one. it's in transit, so hopefully i can have it up and running by a gig this weekend.

QUESTION - has anyone done this, and what am i in for? when i think about it it seems like an easy thing to switch around, but is there anything that anyone out here would warn against? i feel like i didn't put a lot of thought into it as i just really wanted a working amp sooner than later. I can (pre)drill and mount just fine, and yes, there is room for the tank. what else???? what am i overlooking?????

thanks.

-T

2. Swarty

Swarty Member

You're not overlooking anything. The Dual Professional to me is the best Twin Reverb they've ever done... or the Twin Reverb that should have been. Enjoy!

3. GearHeadFred

GearHeadFred Member

I did this with a Super Reverb... I have one tip for you... Make sure you mount the reverb pan with the OUTPUT side as far as possible from the power transformer. The transducer can pickup hum from the PT. Thi doesn't matter in a combo because of the large distance between the PT and the pan.

I agree - head/cab is a much better setup. Good luck and post results.

4. tbone666

Thank you - i'll post some before and after pics after it's done.

5. tbone666

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now to save the dough for the cab.

6. TweeDLX

TweeDLX Member

Hey! I saw apost at Mercury Magnetics where they were looking for people with Dual Pro's. Might want to drop them a line if you're interested.

Mike

7. oxydon

oxydon Member

Are you sure you want to go with an open back (and front!) cabinet like that?

8. tbone666

No i don't want to. I'm just saving the dough for the cabinet currently. It's just the head that's complete. Kind of like before and after photo's.

Dig?

:JAM