Help dating a silverface Deluxe reverb

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by homerayvaughan, Feb 26, 2006.

1. homerayvaughan

homerayvaughan Member

Here's the info I have:
    Chassis code is A33279 - from what I have ready this would date it to 1971.
    Transformers - could not read the power trans (black), but the other 3 all started with 606 (doing this from memory):
    606 09 xx output trans (1969?)
    606 01 xx reverb (1971?)
    606 08 xx choke (1968?)
    The shop selling the amp claims it is stamped 72 inside. The cab looks to be from 75-79. There's no "swoosh" under the Fender logo, and the faceplate was replaced with a pull boost faceplate. He said it was not a pull boost model, just the faceplate was replaced. The speaker was replaced also.

Seems like it (well the chassis anyway) could be a '71-72, but would 3 different date codes be a common occurence in a silverface? Maybe a transformer or 2 were replaced?

Also as a side note, if I wanted to blackface this amp, would the power transformer need to be replaced to accept a GZ34 rectifier, and would it be worth it tone wise?
    Thanks

2. brad347

brad347 Member

the GZ-34 is a drop in replacement. All of the 3 common rectifiers are interchangeable in SOME amps TO A DEGREE.

In the Fender amps you can most definitely just drop a 5AR4/GZ-34 rectifier in and RE-BIAS your power tubes.

First 2 things I would do: replace the crappy rabbit-turd looking "chocolate drop" capacitors with high quality (orange drop) replacements, and modify the bias from a balance-bias pot to a true fixed-bias adjustment.

3. Reeek

Reeek Member

Check out the date code on the pots too. Remember that some components may have been replaced. For stock parts that have not been replaced, the latest year stamped on the trannies or pots should be the year of the amp.

Good luck.

http://www.ampwares.com/ffg/

4. homerayvaughan

homerayvaughan Member

What would indicate a date from a code on a pot?

5. flicker180

flicker180 Member

see, from the title of this thread i was going to suggest dating the SR by using candles, roses, a retro cable, and maybe a relic strat....

then i read the thread and discovered...i was WAAAAY off...

somedays, you just need to laugh at yourself.

dave

6. Reeek

Reeek Member

Look for a four digit code out of all the other numbers on the back of the pots. I just looked at my 1969 Bassman head and the codes are like 6820, 6834 and the bias pot is 6748.

So the pots in my 69 head are 68's and a 67 for the bias pot. My trannies are dated 68 and 69 so since 69 is the latest year, that would indicate my head is a 1969.

Good luck

7. Dave C

Dave C Gold Supporting Member

The 2nd pair of numbers in the 4 number code indicate the week of manufacture......6820 indicates 20th week of 68. Sometimes there will be a 3 digit code , last 2 digits still indicate the week and first digit is the year .....you'll have to guess the decade or determine from other factors (BF,SF.....etc)
    Dave C