HELP! Deciding between Free the Tone Tri Avatar Chorus and Strymon Deco

Kyle Byquist

ALRIGHT alright alriiiiight so I made a bit of money over spring break, and I'm having a hell of a time deciding between the FTT Chorus and the Strymon Deco.
I've watched tons of video demos but at this point it's a coin toss. I don't have the money or board real estate for both pedals, but I wanna see if anyone has any pros/cons for either of the two??

MUCH APPRECIATED thx guys

dachshund

Personally Im just amazed by the range of sounds the Deco can produce based on the official video. Haven't played either but if the Deco really sounds as advertised with a convincingly natural overdrive sound on tap too that would be my choice. Seems pretty sweet overall

Kyle Byquist

Thanks!
I think I'm gonna try both of them and see which one convinces me to stay... For the time being I think I can cover OD/slapback delay with the pedals I already have. But I already have two Strymon pedals and LOVE them... Decisions, decisions...

Chandyland

Well what kind of sound are you after? If you're looking for the old '80s Tri-Chorus sound (approximately) in a pedal format, then the Tri-Avatar. If that's not the sound you want, then probably the Deco.

What about these two pedals in particular do you like? They're both very different from each other.

Kyle Byquist

Alright I'll try my best, they're both really incredible and do pretty unique things.
The Tri-Avatar is super versatile, and obviously sounds amazing (as does all FTT stuff). I basically never turn it off, the pedal allows 4 presets which makes it super easy to switch from very mellow and subtle to super deep and chorus-wetness. Still finding new sounds every day, there's tons of depth in sound in there.

The Deco is almost entirely different from the Tri-Avatar; it's obviously emulating an old tape deck, which means the "chorus" sound has a much different flavor than the Tri - Avatar. It sounds more like a fast and shallow flange rather than a typical chorus pedal might sound. The flange sound is AMAZING, and sounds just massive with overdrive. Also provides some nice swirl on clean tones. The tape slapback is a super useful feature, and gives a really great double tracking sound when you introduce the "wobble" control to it.

I'm really really glad I have both, because they compliment each other really really well. If I had to get just one, I'd go with the Tri-Avatar because of how much it adds to my clean tone, and just sounds amazing

shack

Neunaber is the best CE-1 sound this side of the Retro Sonic or a real CE-1

Last edited:
Alright I'll try my best, they're both really incredible and do pretty unique things.
The Tri-Avatar is super versatile, and obviously sounds amazing (as does all FTT stuff). I basically never turn it off, the pedal allows 4 presets which makes it super easy to switch from very mellow and subtle to super deep and chorus-wetness. Still finding new sounds every day, there's tons of depth in sound in there.

The Deco is almost entirely different from the Tri-Avatar; it's obviously emulating an old tape deck, which means the "chorus" sound has a much different flavor than the Tri - Avatar. It sounds more like a fast and shallow flange rather than a typical chorus pedal might sound. The flange sound is AMAZING, and sounds just massive with overdrive. Also provides some nice swirl on clean tones. The tape slapback is a super useful feature, and gives a really great double tracking sound when you introduce the "wobble" control to it.

I'm really really glad I have both, because they compliment each other really really well. If I had to get just one, I'd go with the Tri-Avatar because of how much it adds to my clean tone, and just sounds amazing
I knew you would pick the Tri Avatar Multi Dimentional Chorus. Its a Whole Different Animal vs. traditional Chorus Pedals. ( don't get me wrong ) I Love the Strymon stuff, but that Chorus Pedal is Ridiculous.

Trending Topics