help...disconnected speaker wires.

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by el duderino, Jul 5, 2008.

1. el duderino

el duderino Member

i was recentley givin an old alamo paragon amp and want to check it out. the problem is someone un-soldered the speaker wires from the terminal on the back of the speaker. both of the wires are white with a red stripe. how do i figure out which one is positive/negative? can i hurt the amp if i get it backwards? dumb questions i know, but thanks for the help

2. hasserl

hasserl Member

No, you won't hurt the amp either way. There has been a lot of discussion over whether the speaker will work BETTER hooked up one way vs the other, but for certain it won't hurt the amp. What will hurt the amp is trying to play it without a speaker connected at all.

This must be a combo amp, huh? I've got a Paragon Bass amp, but it's a head/cab. Great sounding amp, its waiting for me to recap it and install a three prong cord and put it to use!!

3. el duderino

el duderino Member

thanks for the help... yes the paragon is a combo with a 15" jensen speaker.. i've ordered new tubes and i'll see what work it needs from there. don't seem to see much on these amps on the web... i'm pretty stoked, hopefully it is full of the Rawk.

4. hasserl

hasserl Member

It has a pretty unique sound, but very tasty IMO, one of the nicest amps I've heard. But it is really in need of some TLC at this point. I'm hoping I still find it a lovely after I get it back into shape. BTW, mine has a C15N Jensen in the cabinet. Oh, and it came with Amperex Bugle Boy 12AX7's in the preamp! :cool:

5. JS335

JS335 Member

el duderino,

I don't mean to hijack your thread but I think you got your answer. Reading this got me thinking. I've got a 79 Princeton Reverb that has the original speaker in it. I don't like the sound of the original speaker so I disconnected that and have been using the speaker out jact to go to a 1x12 cab that has a nice eminence speaker in it. Am I doing any harm playing the amp with the speaker disconnected or is it ok because I've got an extension speaker cab hooked up?

6. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

As long as you have a load on the transformers there shouldn't be an issue. Just make sure you are using the correct impedance.

dk