HELP! Ditto X2 or Boss RC-30

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Davy Danger, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Davy Danger

Davy Danger Member

I'm a beginner/intermediate guitar player who has been wanting a looper for a while. I actually want the Ditto X2. The reason: from all the research I've done, and all the YouTube videos I've watched, it is superior in sound quality - SPECIFICALLY WHEN PLAYING ELECTRIC GUITAR WITH DISTORTION. I see there are hardly any videos posted that show the RC-30 in use with electrical sounds. Simplicity is nice, but I prefer sound quality. But the RC-30 seems to have a lot of features. Yet, I've read that the sound with distorted guitar is bad, and can get worse with layers upon layers of looping. Can anyone fill me in?

2. kiki_90291

kiki_90291 Member

I never had any issues with the sound quality on the RC-30 - I did wind up selling mine, but more because I wasn't using it much. Very easy to use, but lots of deep capabilities if you want to dive into it.

3. mrmxyzptlk

mrmxyzptlk Member

Are you talking about using amp distortion, or pedal distortion?

If you mean the former, this will compromise the sound of any looper, not just the RC-30. Everything you record - the initial loop and all overdubs - will be distorted, quickly resulting in a muddy mess.

If you mean the latter, you still probably shouldn't use distortion on every overdub, particularly if you're creating a dense loop with numerous overdubs. As with any recording, your best bet is to vary the sound of your guitar from overdub to overdub, rather than using the same effects and eq on every part, and to be conscious of creating a varied sonic landscape with a combination of clean and distorted sounds.

4. Social Exodus

Social Exodus Lone Wolf

I have both the original Ditto and the RC-30 and I'd recommend the RC-30 even though the Ditto is more pristine in sound quality. It's not THAT much better to be fair, and it's sort of picking nits really. But, the RC-30 has two tracks plus at least rudimentary rhythm capabilities. It also has some effects, but they are weak to be sure. If you take to loop building, you will want two tracks and that is no ****. Why? Because you can do entire songs with them. Check this video out - May not your style of music (or mine for that matter) but it clearly demonstrates the additional power of and extra, freely switchable track:

5. to_be_released

to_be_released Member

I've been very happy with my RC30. I've not noticed any significant drop in sound quality.

Adding too many layers with any looper will eventually turn the sound to mush, not because of limitations of the individual looper, but because of the physics constraints of overlaying multiple sounds. This is more problematic with distorted tones, because they take up more frequency space than clean tones. The same issue arises in the recording studio (although careful equalisation can help with this), and in live situations with several instruments.

I've actually found this "flaw" with loopers to be a very useful learning tool, helping me to learn to find gaps in the frequency spectrum, and how to stop different parts from drowning each other out by varying pick up positions, effects, and what I'm playing.

Personally, what sold me on the RC30 was having a mic input with phantom power. This means that I can also loop my purely acoustic instruments via a decent condenser.

I think most people who think that the RC30 sounds worse than other loopers do so because they read that it only operates at 44.1 kHz 16 bit samples, and upon seeing that these numbers are lower than on the competitors products, they decide that they can hear it sounding worse. The sampling rate is way above what's needed for guitar (most guitar amp speakers max out at around 5kHz), and 16 bits is enough for about 90 dB of dynamic range, which is way more than you'll ever need for guitar.

Still, those who aren't particularly learned in sampling theory will likely just assume that bigger numbers are better, and be comforted by the specs of competitors.