HELP - Dr Z Blowing Fuses!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by bmorelli, Apr 26, 2008.

1. bmorelli

bmorelli Member

So, three weeks ago I powered up my Dr Z MAZ Jr 212 (non-reverb) and blew the 1/2 amp fuse. I replaced the fuse and changed out the power tubes. I played the amp again for about 20 mins, put it on standby and when I turned it back on it blew the 1/2 amp fuse again.

At this point I ordered a new rectifier and just installed it today, but upon power up the amp immediately blew the 2 amp fuse. I'm not sure what to do, and any advice is appreciated! thanks!

2. iggs

iggs Member

Contact Dr. Z. He's quick to reply and will help you out if he can over e-mail.
    Also, post on the Dr. Z forum ... lot's of quick help over there (Myles is quick to reply to any technical issues).

http://drzamplifiers.proboards41.com/

3. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry

I hope you are not running a Sovtek rec tube. It is pretty well documented that these are problematical in the Dr.Z amp..... or in any amps if you ask me. Mine did the same thing until I changed it out.

Rather than stress the amp out anymore, you should probably call the Dr. and see what his opinion is. :confused:

4. bmorelli

bmorelli Member

thanks guys, i emailed the good doc, and posted on the z forum. i actually changed the stock recto from the sovtek to a jj.

5. bmorelli

bmorelli Member

one issue solved, another appears...

so i had the recto installed the wrong way - DOH! I put it back in the proper way and I'm able to get sound from my guitar through the amp, but the amp now has a "woosh" or "ocean" kind of sound when either the volume or master is up even a little bit on the amp - this happens when the guitar volume is up or down. I hope I didn't hurt anything when the recto was in the wrong way! Thoughts???

6. mbratch

mbratch Member

In a different thread I asked people what their favorite new production GZ34 was and I got two replies. Both said "Sovtek". :messedup

7. mbratch

mbratch Member

If you don't mind my asking, how did you get the rectifier in the wrong way? Did the key break off?

8. bmorelli

bmorelli Member

no, the key didn't break, it just kinda went in? i'd never changed a recto before (obviously) and i thought it would go in like a power tube.

9. tele_jas

tele_jas Member

My amp tech told me that JJ's are some of the best rectifier tubes, but to "be careful with JJ rectifier tubes, they can go in wrong"!

Sure enough, I could put mine in in more than one position....... the correct way was easier to slide in, but the other ways still went in pretty easy.

So yeah, I can see how this will happen.

10. bmorelli

bmorelli Member

according to myles, tube guru, in the z forum, "you may have taken out the choke resistor when the rectifier was inserted improperly."

so, not sure what i'm going to do now? anyone know a good amp tech in tampa?

11. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Contact Nikcha on the PPBB he lives down there and can shoot you to a good Tech. He is a TGP member also.

12. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry

I've had two short and take out fuses so far. There is a thread somewhere on the Dr. Z forum about Sovtek Rec tubes and date codes because the Dr. was having so many probs come back to him. :confused: He switched to JJs.

That is easy to do.... I was in a room that wasn't lit well and I couldn't see the notch. I thought I felt the tube drop into the notch, so I pressed it in.... but it was in wrong like what you did. Hope you get it sorted out.

13. bmorelli

bmorelli Member

thanks, it's getting there. i changed out the pre-amp section, but i've noticed that i'm picking up a radio station, lol. this happened to someone else on the dr z forum, and doc suggested getting a ferrite choke from radio shack. i guess that's where i'm at now too :)

14. bilbal

bilbal Member

15. bmorelli

bmorelli Member

i just installed a brand new jj recto three days ago, and i don't doubt the merits of a nos rectifier i'm thinking the issue lies elsewhere.

16. GregoryL

GregoryL Supporting Member

Ted Weber makes a solid-state rectifier replacement, which is a good solution also. You'll find a number of owners on the Dr. Z forum use them as well.

17. bmorelli

bmorelli Member

yeah, i've thought about that too, but i'm a "tube guy" at heart - even with their flaws!