Help: Drilled tap tempo jack 1/4" too high

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jaytiz25, Feb 6, 2015.

1. jaytiz25

jaytiz25 Member

While adding a tap tempo/preset mod jack (1/4" TRS) to my TC Nova Modulator, I ended up underestimating the amount of room the jack would need below the upper board. The good news is everything works. The bad news is that I need to move the jack down about 1/4" in order to fit the top PCB to fit correctly in the enclosure. I know that I'll have to extend the jack opening down a bit farther, but I was wondering if there's a type of thin, oblong washer that I could use behind the jack nut to make sure the excess penetration is covered up (mostly for dust, but also for aesthetics). Pics tonight for additional detail. Thanks.

2. Snare227

Snare227 Vendor

I would say you could go to Lowes or the Home Depot and browse around the hardware department and find a blank plate you could drill to be appropriate, or at least some sort of material you could use to fabricate one with a rotary tool.

3. tremolo3

tremolo3 Member

Or try to fit a 1/8" jack and use a big washer to fill the empty space surrounding the hole.

4. jaytiz25

jaytiz25 Member

Thanks for the input guys. Right now, a piece of the ole electrical tape is sufficing. I think I'll look into Snare's suggestion about a plate. I may end up bartering some professional welding with a friend. We'll see. Good news - I did NOT make the same mistake on the Nova Delay. Measure twice cut once...

5. cacibi

cacibi Member

6. jaytiz25

jaytiz25 Member

That Sugru stuff looks crucial. Ended up picking up some J-B Weld SteelStik today. Seems to fit the bill. I'll post pics of the patch and the whole setup tonight. Thanks again guys!

7. jaytiz25

jaytiz25 Member

8. Snare227

Snare227 Vendor

That should keep the dust, beer, and sweat out of there. Good job.

9. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

Heyco hole plugs. They have a 3/8" plug which would be the correct size to cover a 1/4" jack drilled opening.