HELP! Drilling speaker mount holes on the speaker frame?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by imguitardan, Feb 15, 2012.

1. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

I have a pair of 70's Celestion G12H30s (that were damaged during shipping and re-coned by Orange Co. Speakers (one 55 and one 75hz cone)). The speakers only have four holes on the frame for mounting to the baffle but I want to use them in an old Valco amp that has 8 mounting screws on the baffle (per speaker). CAN I DRILL THE HOLES ON THE SPEAKER FRAME WITHOUT RUINING THE FRAME? Has any one done this? Do I need to have it professionally done?
    Thanks

2. zenitB

zenitB Supporting Member

You could try drilling the old Celestions but my solution would be to remove four mounting studs from the baffle board. Some are easily removed by pushing on the stud and pulling it through 'under' the grille cloth. Save them for later and you won't hurt the value of the amp.

3. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

It's pretty easy to drill more holes in the speaker frame. You just need a drill and the right sizetal bit. Measure twice drill once. :)

4. Tonesmiths

Tonesmiths Member

Funny you should ask. I just installed a 4 hole speaker on a '64 FDR that had 8 bolts. I ended up cutting off every other bolt on the baffle with a Dremel carbide disk. It came out much cleaner than I could ever imagine drilling a speaker frame would. Besides, if 4 bolts weren't sufficient, all of the boutique speaker builders would be making them with 8.

5. solitaire

solitaire Senior Member

Depending on the gasket material used for your speakers drilling holes can be a bit adventerous actually. You're likely to have to cut the gasket out out where the drill is supposed to go or it easily will get tangled up in the drill. If the bolts are not easily removable then cutting the bolts or drilling holes... really a choice between two bad things.

6. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

Dude. Cut the bolts. don't F with the speaker frame.

7. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

go with this!

8. picnic

picnic Supporting Member

ditto dat

9. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

On a '66 Valco?

10. Mark Robinson

Mark Robinson Member

If the Valco amp cab is collectable, make or purchase a replacement cabinet. It's not difficult to improve on the original. Leon Chalnick does it all the time, it's the way to go.

From what I've seen, those department store type amps are usually placed in cabinets for which "Cabinet" is a generous characterization, more like a masonite suitcase thing that's first cousin to a carboard box only smells worse.

If you plan to drill the speaker, at least use a drill press and clamps so that you don't have a stupid disaster moment, culminating in an un-authorized visit of a hand held drill bit, into the speaker cone!

11. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

The gasket appears to be a heavy duty type cardboard or fiber board.

12. jazzguitar

jazzguitar Supporting Member

When I tried a V30 in my '66 DR I bolted the new speaker to the old one and used the old speakers holes as a template for where to drill. It worked like a charm and I didn't have to modify my amp. Just be sure to tape up the speakers so you don't get metal shards somewhere they shouldn't be.

13. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

Nice technique. Maybe I'll give that a shot. Thanks!