1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Help: Engl SE With No Sound

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by gibson5413, Dec 8, 2005.

1. gibson5413

gibson5413 Member

I just bought the Engl SE this past week. Plugged it in today to give it the first test drive and no sound. Actually, if I crank the channel and master volumes on any channel there is a very low volume sound. As soon as I push the tube driver button (feature that is part of the preamp section) the sound cuts off all together. Any thoughts or suggestions? Does that sound like a preamp tube issue or a power amp tube issue? I have tried different cables and guitars and nothing has worked. By the way, it is the EL34 version. Thanks in advance!

2. drjenkins

drjenkins Supporting Member

Sounds like the power tubes to me, or a popped resistor. Had a similar problem with my Savage, and found out there were two resistors that had been fried on the board. So replaced those and put new Power Tubes in it and it fired right up. Hope that helps.

dave

3. Swarty

Swarty Member

I'd start with a known good preamp tube and swap it into each position. Is it a new amp? If so, and the preamp tube swap doesn't fix it, ship it back.

4. gibson5413

gibson5413 Member

So it could be a power tube? One of the power tubes doesn't look like the other three. Thanks for the input. I will possibly give it a try. How much are new resistors?

5. gibson5413

gibson5413 Member

I did the preamp tube switch with no resolution. No it is not new, the amp is 5 months old.

6. drjenkins

drjenkins Supporting Member

No problem, I had to pay a grand total of $2.75 for the resistors I needed:D

dave

7. gibson5413

gibson5413 Member

I tried plugging directly into the return of the FX Loop 1 and I got sound. This FX Loop bypasses the preamp altogether. Am I correct in assuming that it is a preamp tube issue?

8. rockon1

rockon1 Member

A pre amp issue. Whether or not its a pre amp "tube" problem will only be known when you replace the tubes.

9. gibson5413

gibson5413 Member

I appreciate the help! I just ordered some JJ ECC83S's today. I should have them by Monday and will report back. Looking forward to giving this thing a good test drive and write a quick review.