Help:Epi Elitist Lp or Gibson SG?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by satinsixstring, Dec 8, 2005.

1. satinsixstring

satinsixstring Member

Hi guys,

Posted this on the Birds and Moons forum, hoping I can get more opinions here:

Not to open up a can of worms here, but I was wondering if you guys could help me out on my next guit-box purchase.

I started out looking at Fender Jazzmasters and such, but after a few good days in the local guitar shops, I have narrowed my search down to 2 different guitars (neither of them anything close to a Jazzmaster).

Anyway, I am looking at an Gibson SG standard, and an Epi Elitist LP.

I know the Gibby is Nitro and the Epi is poly, but that dosen't really bother me either way. What I am really asking here is what do you guys think between the two guitars? They both have similar prices, so I really just want to know which one you guys like better (of course, I will spend some more time playing before I just go out and spend a grand).

Anybody had both? Which did you like better?

Also, any other suggestions for nice humbucker guitars for about a grand? (It's for a Weezer cover band).

2. Brudr

Brudr Member

Both are pretty well constructed guitars. The Gibson will hold its value better. The SG will have a fatter neck and bigger frets than the Epi. The Epi will weigh 1-1.5 lbs more than the SG. For a good $1000 humbucker axe, I would look for used Hamer Studios (or Monaco Elites), Les Paul Studios, TCM Polaris, Heritage H150 etc...

3. Calloway

Calloway Supporting Member

I definately like Standard SG's over Les Paul Studios, I've never been a fan of the Studios, but then again I'm a bit biased, I just love SG's. I haven't had a chance to check out the Epi Elitists, I hear good things. However for a Weezer type gig, I think an SG would certainly do the trick, they have the cut for that kind of saturation as well as the look. If I could afford it right now I definately would pick up another SG myself, I've had two in the past but still haven't found "the one".

4. 59burst

59burst Gold Supporting Member

Regardless of which you choose, make sure you try the SG with a strap. Sometimes they are neck heavy. Some people find this problematic, and it's something that you might want to know prior to purchase.

5. satinsixstring

satinsixstring Member

Thanks for the help guy, and please keep the responses coming.

I am kind of leaning towards the SG, but really only becasue of the Headstock.

Presently I own a 2004 SG Classic that I love the feel and look of, but I just do not like the p-90's. I can't even explain why, except that I always find myself trying to "tweak" the guitar or amp to get the sound I want, something I never did with my previous Gibsons or Epiphones (I've had a Faded V as well as Epi LP's and Explorers).

I played a standard last week, and LOVED the sound (and hated the big gap between the frets and the binding on the first 4 frets), but have heard some really good things about the epi's, and am really still open for suggestions.

As for the LP studio's, I will continue to try em out, but the few that I have played all seemed kinda heavy (even for an LP) and did do it for me.

I also have not tried the Hamers and will certainly be looking for some to play with soon.

6. 59burst

59burst Gold Supporting Member

Well, P90s in general don't drive the front of amps as hard as humbuckers. I always feel like I'm working harder with P90s. But I love them when the amp is pushed - they are very responsive and go from clean to barking with just a change in pick attack. I've had a few vintage SGs with P90s and they got the best electric blues and jazz tones I've had. They didn't work for me when I got into harder rock - I went all humbucker - so I unfortunately sold them.

BTW for about a grand, can't you pick up a used PRS EG or CE or whatever they called the bolt-on model with humbuckers? Those are great!

7. corgiears

corgiears Member

The Epi Elite series gets great reviews, and I'm sure they are fine guitars but...... god I love my SG Standard. LPs are great, and it's hard to not have one around, but overall I just have fallen for the weight, neck shape, upper fret access and overall sound of the SG. Granted, mine has WCR Crossroads in it, but it was a darn fine guitar before they went in as well....

8. DavidE

DavidE Member

I think the Epi LP Elitist is on sale for $699 at Musicians Friend.

9. MoRawk

MoRawk Member

I just received my $699 Epi LP Elitist from Musician's Friend last week and I have to say that I am extremely happy with the purchase. I could not find any flaws on the guitar at all. The attention to detail is remarkable and the bookmatched top is really perfectly bookmatched which I wasn't really expecting. It really does look like a Gibson LP Standard with a different headstock. Of course the finishes are different, but the poly finish on the Epi is put on thin and doesn't make the guitar look like plastic.

The reason I chose the Epi Elitist was because for the same price as a new Gibson LP Studio, I could drop in a set of WCR's and RS kit and have a superior sounding guitar. I didn't really care about resell value because in my opinion, Gibson LP Studios resell value isn't that hot either. I'm also one who hates to part with any guitar. Sentimental value is attached to every guitar.

10. retrospex

retrospex Member

I got an EPI ELITIST HoneyBurst 2 weeks ago and have gigged it 7 shows so far and 2 comin' this weekend. You can't get a better guitar for under $700 as MF has them for now. The SG is a good guitar too.

11. satinsixstring

satinsixstring Member

I think what I will end up doing is going for the LP. I mean worse ditch scenario I will simply return it to MF.

My question is, if MF will sell the standard at 700 bucks, can I get a price cut on the premium one? I will easily settle for the plain-top, but I'd love to have the flame if I can get if for just a little more (500 bucks just ain't worth the AA top).

12. GuitslingerTim

GuitslingerTim Member

I picked up a honeyburst Epi Elitist LP a few weeks ago and its a very nice guitar. It took a couple of weeks of fine adjustments to get it up to snuff, but that's typical of most guitars.

The pickups have a very vintage vibe to them, but are good for classic rock. If you want a heavier sound new pickups will be in order.

If you want an Elitist LP standard you better hurry, the honeybursts and vintagebursts are gone, and there will be no more. Cherryburst and Ebony are the only remaining colors.

13. satinsixstring

satinsixstring Member

Tim

I will be purchasing one VERY soon, probably within the next 3 days, but I will first make an effort to get the plus version at a similar price range.

14. GuitslingerTim

GuitslingerTim Member

Here are some pics of my honeyburst Elitist LP:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. satinsixstring

satinsixstring Member

Oh man, Tim.

THANK YOU!

That plain top look so sweet it hurts!

Tell me, hows the case for this thing? Does it lock?

16. GuitslingerTim

GuitslingerTim Member

The case is top-notch. It's heavy-duty, shaped like the guitar, has plush purple lining, has gold latches/hinges, and comes with lock and keys.

17. retrospex

retrospex Member

And with an alligator type hyde too.

18. Shemp

Shemp Member

The current Gibson P90s suck imho. If you like how your SG plays, but not how it sounds try a set of Lollars, SKs or Wolfetones in it. A good P90 guitar is tough to beat for rock or blues.

19. satinsixstring

satinsixstring Member

This just in: The MF LP's are all sold out!

So, I have an excellent Gibby dealer about an hour or so away from me, so I guess I will be going down there and picking out a Firebird Studio, Explorer, or SG standard.

20. Kaiser

Kaiser Member

SG all the way, love the feel, look and tone !!