• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Help* Fender CS NgD issues! Did someone Van Halen this thing?

mattier

so I just bought my first Fender Custom shop. ‘60s relic fiesta red with roasted maple. Pretty much a dream guitar, big deal to me. I took a chance bought it used from GC, the seller was the companies #1 Rep. Four corners Virginia, super GREAT GUY NAMES Benjamin Hanna....
anyway I was setting it last night and I went to try the whammy bar and it just would not go In. Almost looked like it didn’t fit the hole. It is an American bar, double threaded. Also all the case candy looked untouched, springs in unopened paper container, ashtray bridge guard, COA, ect.....so decided to break the trem down and get a better look. Nothing loose. I have a bunch of different American trem bars I found one that I could get in, was super tight after one turn and felt like it was grinding. So I didn’t force it. I did my research and what I found was the counter sink hole on the trem block can sometime cause the bar to strip the first thread or put major pressure on the first few threads in the trem block. options look like either retap the block or get a new one.
My concern is does swapping that block devalue the guitar? Should I be concerned that The previous owner van halen’d the **** of the trem? Should I just get a Callahan and move on? Anyone else ever have this issue? Is it a sign of heavy abuse or use?
the rep said he knows the previous owner and she takes care of her guitars....that being said would he really know?
any and all input I appreciate, thanks!

Last edited:

yeatzee

My brand new CS strat's trem arm was a super tight fit and didn't seem right at all. I thought it was broken or messed up as well but I installed it and uninstalled it several times and it loosened up works perfect now. Also mine needs to go in at a bit of an angle, straight on it won't thread.

mattier

Thanks guys, I had decided after writing this postto do exactly that. I think I was just put off about spending 3700...just to have to buy a new trem block ASAP....I think I’ll get a Callaham.

Carlo

Platinum Supporting Member
I was in that GC and played that Strat a few weeks ago. There was also a black roasted one next to it that they said was everyone's favorite, but when I played the red one I told them THAT was the Strat. It was better than the black one!
I didn't plug it in or try the trem (Vibrato bar), but just playing it unplugged it felt great and was very resonant.
I was there to try a 30th Anniversary Clapton Strat which I liked but it had fret sprout and a bit too much neck relief so it had to be set up before I go back to see it again.
You got a good one! It is worth it to sort out the trem block and you can't go wrong with Callaham.
Congrats on your new guitar!

JPIndustrie

also there is a spring that goes into the hole , may have fallen out a long time ago and that affects how well the arm screws in

natmiss

Silver Supporting Member
If it's A vintage type strat it probably has the old style arm. There's A little spring in the trem block. They fall out frequently. If that's what it is I'm sure GC will send you one.

mattier

also there is a spring that goes into the hole , may have fallen out a long time ago and that affects how well the arm screws in
It had the spring , but those are more for taking the slack,out of the arm from what I’ve heard, I did try it and it didn’t do squat. I can put my 60’s classic player trem in with two fingersl tp even get the trem in I had to completely break it down to just saddles left....then it went one turn while grinding, and metal shavings were on the thread. From what I’ve leaned it’s the counter sink hole on top of the fender trem block that causes extreme focused stress at the first thread. causing either stripping or arm breakage.
my tech new the what was up before I even finished the initial conversation with him. It’s been this way since day one, but trem blocks were made,of better metal and this is happening more now that we have these cheaper metal alloys.
callahm site explains it very well. With cross cut diagrams And how they fixed the issue.
the answer I got was maybe they’d get me a new arm, ...I replied that I was 95% it’s not the arm. I have the reasoning and links and advice from others. I used another American Arm same deal. A gently used 3,700 Stratocaster from2019 Should function. If it doesn’t make it right, learn about the Issue. Or even pretend to give a ****. I’m obviously not a noob, I have years of experience With all sorts,of guitar, making setting up ect. It’s princaple, I paid you what is a lot’s money , ask your manager is he’d spend 30$ on a fended block to fix it. Case closed. Thanks loyal,customer, come again! When they say if you have any questions or problems , they should mean it.
im going to buy. Callahan but still think it would be nice if they acted like, they cared. its lie, getting a 4x4 that actually only has front wheel drive....oh well,..here’s a new tire

and

Last edited:

mattier

Does it? is it by giving a little counter force? I had heard that a little, but the taking slop out more....but good to know. I will try again. Also someone else mention a super tight fit on there CS, maybe it’s a virgin trem arm? who Knows! Thanks so much for your input everyone. I greatly appreciate it and love learning and hearing new options.

mattier

I was in that GC and played that Strat a few weeks ago. There was also a black roasted one next to it that they said was everyone's favorite, but when I played the red one I told them THAT was the Strat. It was better than the black one!
I didn't plug it in or try the trem (Vibrato bar), but just playing it unplugged it felt great and was very resonant.
I was there to try a 30th Anniversary Clapton Strat which I liked but it had fret sprout and a bit too much neck relief so it had to be set up before I go back to see it again.
You got a good one! It is worth it to sort out the trem block and you can't go wrong with Callaham.
Congrats on your new guitar!
Shut up man! You were at the four corners one with the black and red beauties! Did you meat Benj? ahahaha that’s insane I inquired about the black one as well and he did say it playEd a little better, But with no real reasoning or examples, I just made sure the neck , truss rod and frets were good and all parts original. also I love relic feista, and the the 12” radius and medium jumbo frets are perfect as I played years on Ibanez 12”. The Roasted quarter sawn maple neck, so articulate and responsive....maybe my perfect guitar!
It’s so resonate, its filled with bells. tap tone and strum and listen through the body it’s on another level. The Rancho Pablano pups are amazing as well. So glad you tried it snd liked it.
I was never going to return it, unless it was a counterfeit, it was more about a hard working guy, spending hard earned money on a dream guitar and almsot just wanted a reaction that said I see that this could be upsetting, how can we fix this. More so that than the money for replacement. Although not being offered the minimal funicular help to fix this issue instantly soured what was an amazing experience up to that point.
It was guitars out the door , not my problem. While I was buying it it was all chummy. So maybe we can get an arm, maybe we’ll send it you go jam into the wonky hole again. Call me in month or not when The same **** happens. this was from the #1 seller of all guitars in every guitar center. Huge bonuses, some from me buying that 4K guitar...soured me on GC and a bit on a guy who I though was actually helping me out for more than just a bonus. Im not a fussy Guy, but functionality and cosmetic tic are two different worlds. I’m a hand tool wood worker by trade and functionality is key.
sorry for the long winds. dont be to hard on me guys;) ahah maybe a little

Last edited:

mattier

Shut up man! You were at the four corners one with the black and red...ahahaha that’s insane! I talked to him about the black one as well. I went red as I loved relic feista, also the 12” radius and medium jumbo frets. Roasted quarters maple neck.maybe my perfect dresm guitar! the tech again who was amazing Benj, said The black one played better, but I still have to ouch on. That’s amazing man! It’s so resonate, when you tap tone and strum and listen through the body it’s on another level. The Rancho Pablano pups are amazing as well. So glad you tried her!
so I just bought my first Fender Custom shop. ‘60s relic fiesta red with roasted maple. Pretty much a dream guitar, big deal to me. I took a chance bought it used from GC, the seller was the companies #1 Rep. Four corners Virginia, super GREAT GUY NAMES Benjamin Hanna....
anyway I was setting it last night and I went to try the whammy bar and it just would not go In. Almost looked like it didn’t fit the hole. It is an American bar, double threaded. Also all the case candy looked untouched, springs in unopened paper container, ashtray bridge guard, COA, ect.....so decided to break the trem down and get a better look. Nothing loose. I have a bunch of different American trem bars I found one that I could get in, was super tight after one turn and felt like it was grinding. So I didn’t force it. I did my research and what I found was the counter sink hole on the trem block can sometime cause the bar to strip the first thread or put major pressure on the first few threads in the trem block. options look like either retap the block or get a new one.
My concern is does swapping that block devalue the guitar? Should I be concerned that The previous owner van halen’d the **** of the trem? Should I just get a Callahan and move on? Anyone else ever have this issue? Is it a sign of heavy abuse or use?
the rep said he knows the previous owner and she takes care of her guitars....that being said would he really know?
They actually gave me $150 refund for a new block and the extra money was for install.....that was super classy and i am 100% satisfied!

dcburn

Silver Supporting Member
Cant use a tap and clean the first couple of threads out? Cheaper than a new block and quicker...

Trending Topics

Top Bottom