Help figure out if these pedals are buffered?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by glogulus, Jul 27, 2006.

1. glogulus

glogulus Silver Supporting Member

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out if the following pedals have buffers:

Lovepedal Karl
    Lovepedal Eternity
    Analogman TS9
    Mcfuzz Hot
    Megavibe
    CC2
    Proanalog Supahquack

I'm pretty sure the following have buffers:
    Teese pic wah
    KLON
    Keeley compressor

Any help appreciated!

2. loofery

loofery Member

3. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I'm pretty sure all of those are true bypass pedals.

4. gitpicker

gitpicker Member

I have yet to run across a Lovepedal that is not TB, and I have had 9 of them (and more to come hopefully!)

Also, the Teese Picture Wah is TB.

5. duende

duende Member

TS9 modded by Analogman? If it still uses the original ibanez switching mechanism, then it's not TB

6. glogulus

Is true bypass the same as having a buffer?

What I am trying to do is order my pedals so that pedals that do not like buffers go first and then put the buffer pedals after. Does that make sense? Does it even matter with the few pedals I have? I'm more concerned with the fuzz stuff being after the buffered stuff. Am I just making a big deal about the whole buffer thing for no reason?

7. duende

duende Member

Cool enough... Some fuzzes sound horrible after buffers, some are fine. Truly though over-all it's really a subjective thing. For instance I like the way some of my OD's sound after my Klon, but hate the way others sound after it.

Also... believe it or not... I found that buffers can effect the way some pedals sound if they're directly placed after it as well. So on my board I have to place a another pedal between them.

Experiement and find what works best for your rig.

8. glogulus

Thanks, I guess I will just have to move stuff around to see how things pan out.

9. bduguay

bduguay Member

There's a quick and easy way to determine if your pedal is true bypass. Set up the pedal you want to test and put it in bypass mode. Now remove the power source for the pedal (battery or AC adaptor).
    If you're still hearing your guitar, as if it were plugged straight into the amp, the pedal is true bypass.
    B.

10. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I used to think that too, but it isn't really true. A pedal can still have circuitry "hanging off" of the one side when powered and not be TB, and this test would lead one to think it was TB.

There is some info on the net, where they go into detail about this. It has to do with TB being when you lift ALL connections, isolating the straight through connection from input to output. Some pedals only disconnect one side, and have circuitry still hanging off it which affects sound.

11. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

Except for the Klon and TS-9, all pedals mentioned look to be true bypass - I'm not 100% on the Proanalog, McFuzz and Megavibe, simply because I haven't seen them in person. But I'd assume they are TB too. This means that they have no buffers in the bypass line, or [which is actually worse] Dunlop/MXR-style mechanical bypass systems that only switches the output side. So keep the two buffered pedals as they are - they will help the signal when all pedals are switched off.

/Andreas

12. K Randall

K Randall Member

Yes The megavibe that i make like all my pedals are true bypass-hope this helps!:RoCkIn