Help figuring out chord progressions

Low Watts

There're only a few chords but they have been giving me a hard time for the last 30min :).
Any help is more than welcome :

PS : if you know other artists in that lo-fi hip-hop jazz genre feel free to share

Thank you

spacevato

It's in the key of E. The keyboard at the beginning plays some fancier chords, but basically it is just this:

Amaj7 G#7 | Emaj7 D#7

spacevato

The easiest way (for me) to play chords and melody similar to the keys part in the intro is like this:

XX7674 XX6574 | XX664X XX564X

Difficult to sneak in the sharpened fifth in there.

Jeff Stocks

I think @spacevato is closest. The 1st chord has an F# and a G# in it and the 3rd chord has a C# in it. You could think of it as Amaj13 - G#7 - Emaj13 - D#7.

The first and third chord 'feel' more like minor inversion to me, however. Like an F#min and a C#min, but that's just how it feels to my ear holes.

frdagaa

Gold Supporting Member
I think @spacevato is closest. The 1st chord has an F# and a G# in it and the 3rd chord has a C# in it. You could think of it as Amaj13 - G#7 - Emaj13 - D#7.

The first and third chord 'feel' more like minor inversion to me, however. Like an F#min and a C#min, but that's just how it feels to my ear holes.
Yeah that was my first guess when I was just listening.

JonR

1. Amaj13. Or A6 - Amaj7, because it has F# on top first, then the G#.

2. G#7+ = G# - B# - E - F#, adds G# on top at the end

3. E6 - Emaj7. (Again Emaj13 altogether if you like.)

4. D#7+ = D# - G - B - C# (sorry for the wrong enharmonics, I'm avoiding double sharps). Adds D# on top at the end.

IOW, the 3rd and 4th chords are simply the first two a 4th below.

This is all confirmed with Transcribe software, btw. (Definitely D#7+ for last chord. ;))

spacevato

If we concentrate on the part where you hear the bass and drums clearly, do you agree that the bass notes are:

E D# | B Bb ?

If so, we have second inversions all the way. (Which is the case with for instance Girl From Ipanema and makes the chords rather ambiguous.)

Last edited:

JonR

When the bass comes in (after its one-bar pickup phrase), it's |A - G# - |E - D# - |.
Again, confirmed with Transcribe (raising the octave to be sure).

spacevato

When the bass comes in (after its one-bar pickup phrase), it's |A - G# - |E - D# - |.
Again, confirmed with Transcribe (raising the octave to be sure).
Thanks. I played it on an unplugged electric on 4th and 5th strings, and it didn't sound right to my ears :)

Low Watts

This is all confirmed with Transcribe software, btw. (Definitely D#7+ for last chord. ;))
Thanks, I was sure there was no D# in there :), in fact my ears still need a bit convincing but it might just be I need to find the right voicing.

JonR

Thanks, I was sure there was no D# in there :), in fact my ears still need a bit convincing but it might just be I need to find the right voicing.
It's the bottom note. On guitar, x-6-5-4-2-x (and then 4th fret 2nd string for the last melody note). Or x-6-5-6-0-x for less of a finger-twister.

guitarjazz

Gold Supporting Member
1. Amaj13. Or A6 - Amaj7, because it has F# on top first, then the G#.

2. G#7+ = G# - B# - E - F#, adds G# on top at the end

3. E6 - Emaj7. (Again Emaj13 altogether if you like.)

4. D#7+ = D# - G - B - C# (sorry for the wrong enharmonics, I'm avoiding double sharps). Adds D# on top at the end.

IOW, the 3rd and 4th chords are simply the first two a 4th below.

Thank you Radar.

frdagaa

Gold Supporting Member
It’s funny - at first hearing, I groked it as a heavily altered ii V I VI which fits with @Jeff Stocks comment about the first and third chord feeling minor (allowing iii to sub for I). But the IVmaj7 III7#5 is a fair common sound in and of its own so of course it doesn’t need to function as a 2 5 1 6. My question is — would anyone/does anyone use these chords as a 2 5 1 6 reharm?