Help finding '70's SG-style large block ToM bridges?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by vibroverbus, May 5, 2008.

1. vibroverbus

vibroverbus Member

So in the 70's Gibson went to a heavy block-style bridge rather than the classic tune-o-matic on the SG line - looked just like this:

[​IMG]

Are these repro'd anywhere? Is there a special name for them? I need one for a restoration, and have another guitar that it might be useful for as well due to the large intonation adjustment range and the fact that it drops right onto regular ToM mounting posts.

(And yes I know the original ones were crap... the metal was the cheapest pot-metal junk that Gibson ever put on a guitar... I'm sure if anybody is repro-ing them now they'll be twice as good as the ones made in the 70's. Every single vintage one that's ever seen the light of day has the screw heads torn up and the saddle slots chewed up just from regular use.)

Edit: I did find some ref that this was a Schaller bridge..? Doesn't seem to help in finding them though...

2. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

3. vibroverbus

vibroverbus Member

hmmm... thanks. unfort (at least from the pic) that looks just as cheap or worse than the factory one, i was hoping someone's making improved versions. the price is 'spensive as well!

i'm def still looking I think...

4. LZ_69

LZ_69 Member

I've seen nos ones on Ebay in the past.

Here's a used Schaller one for sale... it looks good other then some chrome pitting on a couple saddles. bridge

Just looking at a couple more for sale on the bay I noticed that some were made in Japan as well. I bet they were the crappy ones you were talking about since I cant really see Schaller making junk.

Here's one of the Japaneses bridges bridge2

5. vibroverbus

vibroverbus Member

Hey thanks for that last link - a good tip from that second one is he calls it a 'harmonica' bridge, which might be good for doing searches. I need gold plate but the eBay idea and trying for that term is really helpful.

Actually I think they were OEM from Schaller and they did definitely suck, at least back in the day. The plating was paper thin and pitted really easily, and as said the metal was junk. The only good part is that those era Gibson's now look real 'relic' because the plating wore so easily. I used to be bummed about it back in the early 90's, but now that we have "Relics" it makes me twice as cool when I play that axe.
    :cool: