Help finding a new DAW

cocobolo

I am through with PT. It constantly crashes...can't import audio now. Plug-ins won't load. The only way to get it going again is to reinstall it. This is on both a Mac and Win. I have also used Ableton Live alot...much more stable. Might be my ignorance but after repeated use and messing with it I feel the guitar tracks are a little harsh and not as clear as recording through PT.

So, what DAW should I try next? I need it to work well with UAD Apollo and plug ins. Hopefully it won't crash and sounds great when recording and mastering. Thanks!

DAW workflow is so personal, so I can only offer my opinion but I like Reaper. Been using it for 3 years on Mac and it is exceedingly stable. My plugin count is not high but installation is super light (<10mb) and CPU usage is pretty low. Have not tried it with the Apollo or any UAD products. I like that you can customize the GUI for whatever look and feel you like (there are dozens of amazing user-designed GUI's available for free on the Reaper site). You could even get a ProTools look if you like. You can also cuatomize your hot keys, so if you are used to the ProTools shortcuts you could setup Reaper to respond to those.

My only knock is I don't like the piano roll MIDI functionality. It's too easy to draw in overlapping notes and it's hard to navigate if you've got notes spanning a wide range. But I don't use a ton of MIDI so I can deal.

Anyway Reaper has a 60 day trial period with an honor system to pay for it after so you can try it unencumbered.

I am through with PT. It constantly crashes...can't import audio now. Plug-ins won't load. The only way to get it going again is to reinstall it. This is on both a Mac and Win. I have also used Ableton Live alot...much more stable. Might be my ignorance but after repeated use and messing with it I feel the guitar tracks are a little harsh and not as clear as recording through PT.

So, what DAW should I try next? I need it to work well with UAD Apollo and plug ins. Hopefully it won't crash and sounds great when recording and mastering. Thanks!
What kind of computer and specs ?

Rockinrob86

Silver Supporting Member
I use reaper with a uad system (2 apollos and a quad satellite) on a 2012 Mbp and it has never failed me - ever. Super stable and solid, and I love the workflow in reaper. I typically run things very "old school". Lots of live in the room recording, until recently no midi (got a cool set of mellotron samples I incorporated into one song). I love my set up and think it's perfect for me

Have any of you noticed different audio quality between DAWs?
No, but I have noticed a difference between audio drivers. I used to use Ableton and Reason on a PC with ASIO4ALL drivers and I much preferred running them on Mac with the CoreAudio drivers.

It's been a while since I've used them, but Ableton and Reason seemed to be easier to clip the master (again, probably the drivers) which could result in perceived audio quality difference.

Rockinrob86

Silver Supporting Member
A macbook air has a slower processor - that will be your problem with any DAW. Although reaper runs the lightest, so that is a plus

I have a 2.5 GHZ processor in my MBP, which isn't state of the art or anything, but significantly faster than the 1.6GHZ (guessing based on a quick google search) you have

cocobolo

What version of PT are you having issues with?

It's been a while since I've used them, but Ableton and Reason seemed to be easier to clip the master (again, probably the drivers) which could result in perceived audio quality difference.
Great info. Thanks. I definitely have noticed it is easier to clip on ableton. End up either lowering the preamp which reduces fullness or try to eq/compress/limit to fit the hotter signal in the mix. Now I'm wondering if I need to go back to using the pc. Been using the mac becuse of the thunderbolt on the ua and its just easier to use.

Think LOGICally.
I guess this one works best with Macs then? Does it work well with ua plugins? Any problems clipping?

I know I can just download the demos and get to work...thanks all for the help. Its good to have a general idea of what other people have experienced.

GtrWiz

I guess this one works best with Macs then? Does it work well with ua plugins? Any problems clipping?
I've been running Logic with the Apollo Twin and use the UA plugs without issue for about a year now. Logic also rarely freezes and when it does it's almost always a CPU issue.
It was a tough transition and I'm just now feeling comfortable with it. Main thing for me was learning new terminology for things I've been doing for 16 years on PT. My ADD didn't dig the change, but I'm happier and happier the more I use it.

cocobolo

Yeah I get that there may be user error involved or a system problem. But I'm done trying to troubleshoot it. Just not worth the headache or time for me. I mean Ableton never crashes on either computer. I'll keep using Ableton, but thought I would try a new DAW to see if I could get better results.

Rockinrob86

Silver Supporting Member
What do you record, and how do you do it? Each of these programs has a devoted user base because they are all best for certain user types.

cocobolo

Guitar, electric and acoustic. Jazz and rock. sm57 close and a e906 close or as a room mic. Throw in some bass and samples for rhythms. Messed with some keys and synths too. But the main idea is to put ideas down and demo my amps. I've seen how Ableton is good for the electronic/sampling genre. Is there a program aimed for the guitarist?

Trending Topics