Help Finding a Non Metal Mesa

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by protest, Feb 23, 2015.

1. protest

protest Member

I'm thinking of potentially picking up a Mesa as I am currently Boogie-less. I'm a metal player, but I'm not looking for a metal amp because I've found one that is perfect for me. That means I'm looking for an amp in unfamiliar territory, and so I'm coming to you guys for help with steering me in the right direction. I want something capable of 4 general tones, clean, blues, rock rhythm and lead. I also have no problem with needing to use an OD to help the amp get the lead tone as I'll probably use one anyway.

When I first thought about going this route I wanted to go with a TA-30, but when I got to try one out it seemed a bit muffled. I was at a little guitar store so volume may have been the issue. I think it may need to be an amp that needs to be turned up to get anything from it. Which brings me to another point. This is primarily going to be at home amp that I mess around with and record with for fun, as it's not what I mainly play. That means it needs to be usable at a decent volume, not bedroom at 2 am volume, more like doesn't need to shake the house to sound good volume a la my old Roadster. I prefer a good master volume with a nice taper to power scaling. I always seem to like the tone of amps at full power the best, but a muilt-watt amp is fine as long as it has a decent volume taper.

The amps I'm currently looking at are:

Express 5:50+
    Lone Star
    TA-30 (despite bad initial experience)
    Electra Dyne
    Stiletto

I'm going to go used, and try to trade my ESP for the amp or for most of the amp. That means it would have to be in the $800-$1000 range, so new would be out of the question. Age is a concern though, I don't want to go too old and have to start replacing components. I'd also prefer a head to a combo for space reasons.

TL;DR What Mesa amp would you get for everything short of metal?

2. LPMojoGL

LPMojoGL Music Room Superstar Supporting Member

If you can find one, check out a .50 Caliber Plus. It can be set for anything between clean and metal. I liked setting it somewhere around AC/DC breakup, backing off guitar volume for cleans, hitting with an od for more. I like the Royal Atlantic and Electra Dyne for most things short of metal. The 25 watters are cool for clean to mean sounds with a non-metal sort of breakup, especially when you get the el84s cooking.

3. Lef T

Lef T Member

I picked the 5.50 Express combo.
    I play blues,rock,R&B.
    I've never been a Mesa player,but needed something that would play
    clean or be able to get some breaking up gain.
    I've had this amp for a month now and it makes me smile.
    Great for playing at home,but enough muscle to play out.
    It's compact and light enough that it's not difficult to lug around.
    Try one out.
    That's the only way you're going to know.

4. Gas Hed

Gas Hed Member

If you're willing to go big iron and Stilleto is on your list, I'd pick one of those up. You'll get some nice british tones out of it.

5. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

Man, I really prefer an old Mark-series head over all those.

6. Guild_S-100

Guild_S-100 Member

I was on a similar quest 2 years ago.
    I only had the KTre for all of mu high gain needs back then, and I want an amp that can do anything in between. One thing I try to avoid is to have same type of gear all the time.
    I ended up with Royal Atlantic.
    Although when I feel lazy I try to pull off some heavy music from RA-100 too. And I think it covers em well

7. protest

protest Member

Thanks for the input guys, seems like a lot of varying opinions lol.

As far as an old Mark goes, I've owned a Mark IV and that to me that was a metal amp with a great clean channel. I did not like R2 for really anything other than a slightly dirty clean. The Lead channel could handle a lot of different tones though.

At this point I think I'm leaning towards one of the Electra Dyne, Stiletto, or Express+. How do the clean tones on the ED and Stiletto compare to the Lone Star style cleans that Boogie has put into their other amps like the Express, Rectos, etc?

8. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

Stilleto Deuce Stage 2 would be my pick, followed by a Mark 2C+

9. protest

protest Member

I think that's a bit over budget lol.

10. ClassicLP

ClassicLP Member

The express plus fits the bill. The 25 & 50 are both great. They cover all the ground you mentioned. They are still loud on the 5 watt setting. As you know, 5 watts with a 1x12 can be very loud when the amp opens up. I passed on TA because I prefer a mid control.

11. Captain Sco

Captain Sco Member

Electra Dynes are nice and versatile.

12. Parazyd

Parazyd Member

Go with the Express, I've played it and it's the thing you're looking for.

13. rummy

rummy Member

I use the Mark IV and I'm far far away from metal. :)
    With that said, the Electra Dyne is a great non-metal amp.

14. duderanimous

duderanimous Monsterpiece Fuzz - Fuzz Master Extraordinaire Silver Supporting Member

Ok, so you have your metal amp covered, and are looking for a non-metal amp. So define what "metal" is to you. It is a very broad term in general, so more specifics from you can help with suggestions on a non-metal amp.

I have a Stiletto ACE that can cover clean & pretty to (my opinion of) melt your face off, all with a British flavor

15. dilznik

dilznik Member

16. Toowoombaus

Toowoombaus Silver Supporting Member

Electra Dynes sound pretty cool. I like the old Mark iic.

But just don't buy a Lonestar Classic, it has a great clean channel but the dirty channel is over compressed and anemic. Thank God I sold mine quickly!

17. SteveO

SteveO Member

Any of them will work for non-metal applications. Those gain knobs go down just as easily as they go up.

Scooter likes this.
  18. winterblu

winterblu Supporting Member

The Rectoverb 25 works for me, I play very little Metal but the modern gain channel works well for it if I need it.

19. plexirocker 68

plexirocker 68 Member

Try a Dc-3, they can be had for $600 or so and will cover the tones you are seeking.
    One of Boogies best amps that are a bit 'under the radar'

plexi

20. Al Rose

Al Rose Silver Supporting Member

My vote is for the Express + as well. I've got a 5:25+ that is great. I also have a DC2 and use it quite a bit, but the 5:25+ just has more flexibility. The 5:50+ has a bit better cleans because of the 6L6 power section.

Al