• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Help finding the right SG

Krausewitz

Hey guys, I'm looking for an SG with these attributes:

- Thick neck

- Big Guard

- Maestro

- HBs and trap inlays

- Preferably in cherry/red

Basically this:

15658_Gibson_used_robby_Krieger_SG_121110453_a.jpg

What are my options? So far the only SGs I've sound that tick every box are vintage...and some of them are pretty pricey.

65DuoSonic

That's a hard one. The first one to come to mind was that Robby Kreiger "Inspired By" SG that came out a few years back, but I'm not exactly sure about the neck size. It has the other features though. It's basically a late-60s SG with a neck modeled after one of his SG Specials. There are not a lot around, of course, because it was a limited deal. Some were VOS models, and some were aged jobs to look exactly like his. The former were reasonably priced a while back on ebay, but now I never see them. The aged ones are crazy expensive, like you could buy a vintage one expensive. I'd really like to get a hold of the VOS version. Anyways , good luck.

Here's a little blurb about it on some website:
http://www.guitar-bass.net/reviews/gibson-robby-krieger-sg-vos/

thiscalltoarms

more gadgets than Batman.
Platinum Supporting Member
Well, most of the right vintage SGs that I've played don't have a thick neck by most SG comparisons. Not toothpick thin, but closer to the slim carve than the 90-2000s chunky round SG carve, so even vintage you'll be having a problem. Out of curiosity, why the Maestro? It wasn't a great sounding bright in my experience, and they didn't sell well so there aren't that many of them out there...

conanb

If they didn't sell well shouldn't they be around? I'm also looking for one. The OP has basically read my mind. Thing is, I'm actually looking for that Robbie Krieger version. There's one on ebay right now for $4k. That's never gonna happen so i'm trying to find a cheaper alternative but basically the same guitar.

Krausewitz

Honestly, I want the Mestro purely for aesthetics....I think it looks awesome.

There was a Robby Krieger SG at Music Zoo at some point that was 'only' $1,400 or so. The problem is I think they have really skinny necks (0.800 at the 1st to about 0.900 at the 12th I read somewhere...I tend to prefer 0.900-ish around the 1st and 1.000 around the 12th, so quite a big difference!).

conanb

+1 on the Maestro. I'm a sucker for detail like that. Once I fall in love with how it looks I'll go the extra $$ to get it. But I'm not touching $4k.

Figaro

Silver Supporting Member
I've seen some of the SGs with SG on the truss rod cover that have fatter necks, but some have thinner necks so you just have to try them. But I don't think they have binding on the neck. Just add the tailpiece after you get it.

thiscalltoarms

Get a 98-2012 SG Standard and then add the Vibrola tailpiece. The vibrola isn't cheap, but you should be able to find a mid-2000s SG standard with a fat neck for around 1k, maybe a bit less. Then add the Vibrola. shouldn't be more than 2k, but you'll have to find a Gibson Maestro, which is going to be a little bit of a challenge.

A 2000s SG Standard checks all the boxes except Maestro...

JRC4558Dude

Get a 98-2012 SG Standard and then add the Vibrola tailpiece. The vibrola isn't cheap, but you should be able to find a mid-2000s SG standard with a fat neck for around 1k, maybe a bit less. Then add the Vibrola. shouldn't be more than 2k, but you'll have to find a Gibson Maestro, which is going to be a little bit of a challenge.

A 2000s SG Standard checks all the boxes except Maestro...

Not cheap, but easy enough to find:

http://www.crazyparts.de/ueberuns/vibrolas-aged/maestro-vibrolas-new/index.php

Krausewitz

Oof. 600 quid for an SG (which is pretty cheap, actually), plus another 200 for a vibrola, perhaps another 200 to get it fitted. At 1,000 GBP I wouldn't be terribly far off what some vintage SGs go for in the States! I'd prefer to find one that just comes with one. That way if I don't like it, I can just sell the guitar and try something else. Otherwise I'd risk losing a boatload of money on it, and no matter what happens the guitar will have unwanted holes (either from the removed Maestro, or from the original stop-bar). :(

Thanks for the help and suggestions thus far, though! :)

EDIT: Apparently Vibramate was supposed to release a Maestro-compatable version...it was announced YEARS ago, still no progress. Bummer. That'd be perfect!

thiscalltoarms

Oof. 600 quid for an SG (which is pretty cheap, actually), plus another 200 for a vibrola, perhaps another 200 to get it fitted. At 1,000 GBP I wouldn't be terribly far off what some vintage SGs go for in the States! I'd prefer to find one that just comes with one. That way if I don't like it, I can just sell the guitar and try something else. Otherwise I'd risk losing a boatload of money on it, and no matter what happens the guitar will have unwanted holes (either from the removed Maestro, or from the original stop-bar). :(

Thanks for the help and suggestions thus far, though! :)

EDIT: Apparently Vibramate was supposed to release a Maestro-compatable version...it was announced YEARS ago, still no progress. Bummer. That'd be perfect!

As someone who has a owned a few dozen SGs and never met an SG he didn't like, I think your odds of finding a fat neck vintage SG with a vibrola for that cheap ( 1000 quid or roughly $1500 usd by current exchange rates) would be completely impossible. You'd be lucky to find the guitar in question between 4-10k depending on year and condition in the USA. Norlin SGs have thin necks with a tiny nut, so you'd be looking at an early 60s SG (62-64 most likely, and the neck carves were highly variable at the time so you'd have to play befor you bought..).

Good luck man, tough bill to fill...

Last

How are the necks on those Precision Guitar Kits.

Hell, if you can't find one. Why not build one? [emoji6]

gibsonES330

What about buying one of the recent Maestro-equipped USA models with the small pickguard, then have a custom batwing pickguard built?

I had a custom pickguard built for my "50's Tribute SG" and it only cost me about $35 shipped.

Krausewitz

As someone who has a owned a few dozen SGs and never met an SG he didn't like, I think your odds of finding a fat neck vintage SG with a vibrola for that cheap ( 1000 quid or roughly $1500 usd by current exchange rates) would be completely impossible. You'd be lucky to find the guitar in question between 4-10k depending on year and condition in the USA. Norlin SGs have thin necks with a tiny nut, so you'd be looking at an early 60s SG (62-64 most likely, and the neck carves were highly variable at the time so you'd have to play befor you bought..).

Good luck man, tough bill to fill...

Thanks man. I'm happy to spend more than $1,500, just not on a second-hand modern SG standard. If I did go vintage it'd be a '67-'72, which should be cheaper than, say, a '64. They seem to go for around $2,000 - $3,000. Plenty have fat necks, but as you say they do have skinny nuts. Either way, finding a good player isn't easy.

Thanks for your help again!

AdmiralB

The only reasonably recent "production" SGs I've seen with necks that might be called 'thick' are the run of reissues GC commissioned...what, about ten years ago? I think they called them '62s?

Other than that, the Made2Measure program offers (or maybe offered, I hear it's gone now) this as an option...I had a '61 SG/LP made with an R9 neck (came out a little on the fat side of 'R9').

Krausewitz

The only reasonably recent "production" SGs I've seen with necks that might be called 'thick' are the run of reissues GC commissioned...what, about ten years ago? I think they called them '62s?

Other than that, the Made2Measure program offers (or maybe offered, I hear it's gone now) this as an option...I had a '61 SG/LP made with an R9 neck (came out a little on the fat side of 'R9').

I've never heard of Made2Measure....can you elaborate?

Sconnie

The SG standard is exactly what you're looking for, despite it being sans maestro... I know this is very important to you but you can get every single other attribute you mentioned from a standard. They are great guitars, and if a custom shop $4k guitar is out of the question you might not end up with a brand new guitar. The mid 2000s SG standards are sweet (mine is an 05), and you could easily buy the tailpiece and install it yourself. That tailpiece is going to be your biggest hurdle, I love the look of them too but its hard to find just the right guitar with one

I really like the early 2000s SG Standards a lot, and they can be bought for $800 all the time. An alternative to the Maestro, that looks as cool and works better, is to use a B7 Bigsby mounted with a Vibramate. This is the Bigsby made to fit a Les Paul Standard, with the endpin mount. It will fit on an SG Standard, if you flip the endpin mount plate and use a small shim between the plate and the guitar body. It's pretty easy to do. You just need to drive the hinge-pin out of the bigsby, flip the end plate, and then put the hinge-pin back in. Once mounted, the B7 looks extremely cool, and stays in tune way better than a Maestro would. You can get a B7 for about $150, and then just get the Vibramate. You use the same Vibramate as for a Les Paul. I actually took the B7 off of my R8 and remounted it onto my SG Standard.

The B7 and Vibramate won't work however on a '61 Reissue. Because of the different neck joint, the distance from the tailpiece studs to the endpin edge of the guitar body is longer on the '61 Reissue, and won't allow the B7 to fit. I sold my 2003 SG Standard (kept the B7) and bought a '61 SG Reissue. Thought I would put the B7 on the '61 RI, but no luck.

If you google "Bigsby B7 on an SG Standard", you will find pics. Neither Bigsby or Vibramate will tell you this will work, but it does. And it makes for a very cool and different looking SG.

AdmiralB

I've never heard of Made2Measure....can you elaborate?

http://www.themusiczoo.com/blog/2014/custom-shop-made-2-measure-your-gibson-your-way/

It is (or maybe, was) a program where you could customize any of several of the Historic guitars with the neck profile, finish, pickups, hardware, etc. of your choice.

I had a '61 SG/LP done in wine red with a '50s neck and an underwound 'E-bucker' neck pickup; normally, since that's not a standard color and definitely not a standard neck, it would have been pushed into true 'custom build' pricing, but under this program it was the same price as an off-the-rack '61.

They didn't market the program; I only heard about it through that TMZ blog post, and I think Sweetwater had a few LPs they ordered on spec. I don't know if all Historic dealers took part, but I know several did as I shopped pricing around.

Johnny2013

he's wants bat wing guard, the recent 61s are sweet but small guard

Trending Topics

Top Bottom