• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Help finding the right SG

conanb

What's a good price n a good condition early 2000's SG Standard? I'm thinking of going the customizing route.

I recently sold a clean 2003 with hard case for $750, which I think was a good deal for the buyer. I see lots of them for $800.

conanb

Thanks. There seems to be a couple locally for that price. Might take the plunge. Played a couple in the shop today. Some beautiful guitars. Wasn't impressed by the maestros tho. They felt stiff and inaccurate compared to the bigsbys I'm used to.

Sconnie

Wasn't impressed by the maestros tho. They felt stiff and inaccurate compared to the bigsbys I'm used to.
I have never owned one with a maestro, only played a few with one. The spring design isnt very good on the maestros, bigsbys certainly have a better design. Bigsby or maestro equipped SGs are going to struggle with sustain and tuning stability, but as always a good setup and stretched-in strings will effectively resolve those issues. Good luck with your search as well, SGs are great guitars, ultimate bad-assery

thiscalltoarms

more gadgets than Batman.
Platinum Supporting Member
Thanks. There seems to be a couple locally for that price. Might take the plunge. Played a couple in the shop today. Some beautiful guitars. Wasn't impressed by the maestros tho. They felt stiff and inaccurate compared to the bigsbys I'm used to.
If you can do a bigsby, you should get one over the maestro. Don't hold tune well, don't work smoothly. If the look is that valuable to the OP (which he says it is!) than by all means knock yourself out for the aesthetic element, but you'd be better with a Bigsby if you want a functional vibrato, or a tuneomatic and stop tail if you want the more classic SG tone...

I don't have a maestro anymore, and I'd be unlikely to own another one. They just don't sound as good to me- consistently...

Krausewitz

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. A lot to think about! I found a stunning '65 Standard, fat neck, converted to big guard (to cover the routing for a third pickup). It's outside of my price range at $4k, but oh so tempting....

Guess, I'll just have to wait...or settle for a more recent standard (which I'm sure would be more than adequate).

Thanks again!

gibsonES330

There's nothing wrong with Maestro's - just have to make sure your nut is cut properly and that its slots (as well as your bridge's saddles) are lubed.

I had an SG with Maestro not long ago - I really liked the action and feel of it. Currently I have an SG with Bigsby B5 and Vibramate + spoiler, which is also great, but I think I actually prefer the Maestro, which allowed me to do better divebombs (not like a Floyd Rose, mind you, but deeper dips than the B5 - even with the larger spring that I added to it).

conanb

So I picked up a 2007 SG Standard locally for a great price. Thinking about whether to add one of the tremelos mentioned or not. This one plays and sounds fantastic so I'm not sure I want to mess with it, and like I said before, I love the look of the maestro but really didn't like the feel of the two I played in the shop. Maybe they were badly set up. I've love bigsby on other guitars but I do think the SG looks better with the maestro. Anyway, I might just leave it as is.

Nice looking SG. Now, here's some setup advice. Leave the bridge pickup adjusted high, but with the pole-piece screws down flat. Then lower the neck pickup until it's nearly flush with the pickguard, and raise the pole-piece screws so that a couple of threads show on each screw. This will balance the pickup output fairly close, and give you great tone in the middle position. It also reduces the muddiness in the neck pickup. And finally, top-wrap the strings over the tail-piece, to reduce the string break angle over the bridge. It will feel slinkier when bending. And don't let anyone tell you that Gibson 490/498 pickups need replaced in an SG. Those are great pickups in an SG, as long as they are properly adjusted. Have fun with your new guitar. SGs are awesome.

conanb

Wow, thanks man. I will get stuck into those mods tonight. Yeah, I'm loving the feel of it. Won't get to hear it properly until I get my amp back from the rehearsal room later. Cant wait to give it a proper test drive. The guy I bought it from had a Marshall half stack so I got to hear it before I bought it but only played it to test everything.

conanb

Followed itstooloudMike 's advice and this guitar sounds fantastic now. Such a beautiful sound. I am very much enjoying the honeymoon, long may it last
:rockin

Trending Topics

Top Bottom