Help for a MIDI moron

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by exodus, Aug 1, 2018.

1. exodus

exodus Member

On pedals with MIDI connections, what is the real world application for it? (read the title, I really don't know anything about MIDI and have never used it).

For example, I'm looking to buy the Ventris Dual Reverb. It has MIDI jacks. What is the practical application wherein someone would want and use these MIDI jacks?

2. c7sus

c7sus Member

Program changes, parameter changes, etc via a MIDI controller rather than physically twisting knobs on the pedal. Syncing the delay time to MIDI clock (if the pedal recognizes MIDI clock and the controller creates or syncs to clock). You set up patches in the controller and save them as presets.

exodus likes this.
  3. exodus

exodus Member

So, when I see videos of pros on stage with just a big foot button controller and all their pedals off to the side in a rack, that is where this whole thing is employed?

Robleishman likes this.
  4. Flip362

Flip362 Member

The Ventris can support 128 On board presets using midi versus just 8 using only the Ventris itself. Imagine pressing one button and going from a simple hall reverb to a dual engine reverse and edome ambient preset. With another press of a button you go back to the simple Hall preset. That is what would be considered a program change. It is the simplest and easiest MIdI assignment to program and the most frequently used.

Continuous control or CC is controlling a parameter. Maybe you want to adjust the reverb mix or length on the fly. Perhaps bounce back and forth between 2 settings with an expression pedal. You can do that too. Usually anything is midi mapable especially on Source Audio pedals. You can get a lot from the face of the pedal, but when using a midi controller? You can do just about anything!

Edit: you can also send instructions to 16 individual devices (or more). 16 available midi channels so that if you have multiple devices, it is sort of like an ID. I only want to do something with the Ventris? Send this data on channel 1 only. Send something else at the same time to a different pedal? Easy. Using channels you can send multiple instructions to different devices using the same expression pedal or switches!

FbIsNotE likes this.
  5. Black_Label

Black_Label Member

MIDI allows you to change a preset (via a program change message) within the pedal so you can recall different settings on the fly.

MIDI also allows you to change any parameter on the fly (if the pedal is set up for that) so you can, for instance, use an expression pedal or another pedal to turn one of the knobs for you (via a continuous control message).

MIDI is 40 years old and pretty basic but can still do a whole lot.

6. rumbletone

rumbletone Silver Supporting Member

I use midi in guitar rigs for changing presets (hit one button and all devices change) and for real time control of parameters - for example, expression control of LFO, levels, delay time, w/d mix, etc

7. c7sus

c7sus Member

Yes. And some controllers are kinda hybrids that can re-arrange the order of your non-MIDI pedals via programmable loops and control your MIDI-enabled pedals too. Switching possibilities are pretty intense these days.

Check out the Boss MIDI loop control pedals. A lot of power in a small package. That kind of programmability used to cost thousands from vendors like CAE.

8. nnnnnn

nnnnnn Member

That's one possible use. But a lot of guitarists use MIDI even though they have all pedals on a single board at their feet on stage.

Let's say your board includes the Ventris reverb you mentioned, and some other programmable effects with MIDI jacks such as a Boss DD-500 delay, a Strymon Mobius modulation pedal, and a Source Audio EQ. Connect the pedals with MIDI and you can make it so a single press of one footswitch tells all four of those devices to change preset or turn on or off. Saves you from tap dancing all over your board to turn them on/off one by one.

Notice also in my example I used pedals from four different companies - the MIDI standard is deliberately designed to allow products from different manufacturers to communicate with each other in a standard way, so you the consumer are free to mix and match rather than being locked into all Boss or all Ventris or whatever.