• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

HELP!!! Friend getting married...need classical guitar suggestions

jackaroo

My good friend has decided to have a guitarist play at his wedding. He's looking for any recommendations for the service and reception. Classical, pop, jazz good solo stuff...what says you?

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks,

Jack

Guitar Josh

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Supporting Member
I played an arrangement of Pachelbel's Canon that I "sort of" wrote, and it went well!

jackaroo

I'd like to be clear...I'm not playing this stuff. He's hired a guy who needs something to play.

I love the Beatles, but I think he's looking for mostly classical...if you please.

JD

reddgeetarzan

Gold Supporting Member
Anything more specific?
Get some suggestions directly from them- you can change the songs around accordingly to fit.....

I did something like this- solo in a courtyard. The bride suggested quite a few tunes that were more current- First Day of My Life by Bright Eyes right after they were married, some Jack Johnson stuff- I played it all unaccompanied without vocals. Got one of those battery powered amps and went to town.

I did play Pachelbel's Canon for the procession. Some other classical fillers too- Greensleeves is always a winner, Bach's Bouree is good too.
If I can think of the others, I'll list 'em here.

M

Member 995

I'd like to be clear...I'm not playing this stuff. He's hired a guy who needs something to play.
Sounds like the hired guy needs to put some time into figuring out what the bride/groom want.

jackaroo

I agree...

The Groom needs to pick what he wants, but he doesn't know what there is. He knows nada about classical guitar.

Somniferous

Last time I went to a wedding with a classical guitar player he wasn't really playing anything specific. He was improvising mostly, and kept the sound in the classical/medieval range. I believe he also did some celtic stuff and a few bach pieces.

Mark EL

Silver Supporting Member
Bach.

Jesu Joy of Man's Desire. There's lots of other stuff too at different levels.

Kottke has a version...but a decent classical guitarist should be able to improvise over this (if he can indeed improvise) for a while.

Greensleeves, Wild Mountain Thyme, Scarborough Fair etc.

The whole Am, G, Em etc. progression thing.

:)

twitter

Here are some good classical ones that I have heard done on guitar:

Caro Mio Ben - Bartoli
Ave Maria - Schubert
Air (Water Music) - Handel
Spring (Four Seasons) - Vivaldi

Also, someone already mentioned The Beatles. I've heard a classical version of "Here Comes The Sun" at a wedding. It was really nice.

Trending Topics