Help Getting That Dumble Sound?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by SatanOffspring, Mar 5, 2017.

1. onetracker

onetracker Member

oh yeah. listen to 'fatman in the bathtub' from 'waiting for Columbus'. Lowell George live and that is quintessential dumble tone. burned that place down.

be sure to CRANK it

Bluesful and Figaro like this.
  2. AustinIsPresent

AustinIsPresent Member

I had good luck with a DRRI and a Mojohand DMBL. Alternatively, a smaller and quieter option would be a PRRI and the Mojohand DMBL.

Today, I'm using a Two Rock Studio Pro 22 head/cab and the Mojohand DMBL. It sounds perfect. The sound in my head for a long, long time.

3. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

Robbin Ford, Lowell George, David Lindley when he played slide for Jackson Browne

4. zenas

zenas Member

The point I was trying to make, that apparently went right over everyone's head, was simply.
    Is there one "Dumble" sound ?
    There isn't one Fender, Vox, Marshall or whatever sound. So I'm pretty sure there isn't one "Dumble" sound. That's all. :)

rwijaya, Major Dude and Bluesful like this.
  5. RolandKorg

RolandKorg Member

Watch and enjoy:

JohnK24 likes this.
  6. Nota

Nota Member

Welcome to the chase! I've been chasing that kinda sound for years now, owned/traded/sold a LOT of gear around going for my version of it. Granted, everyone probably has a slightly different sound in their heads.

The reason you're going to get so many recommendations on here is that there are so many ways to get that sound. It's not really mystical at all. Just a mid-heavy tone with the highs rolled off. One of the biggest secrets to the Ethos is that it has a high cut knob! Not too much bass either, no thumps!

The video above is hilarious because they can get the D sound with an EQ and a cheap OD. I like that it's not mystical. Most of those smooth OD sounds I've heard and gone "that's IT" haven't been Dumble amps at all.

So please don't think you need expensive amps, it's not a magic formula. I use the Ethos either direct to PA, or into an Emi RWB. Both sound great. Once I got told I sounded like Larry Carlton by someone who had no clue what a Dumble amp was!

7. Jaxcharvel

Jaxcharvel Member

I've never played a Dumble, but from any videos and recordings i've heard it just strikes me as a thick, chewy, harmonically rich tone. May be way off base here, but to me that screams Mesa Mark. On my MV (especially the Mark I setting) i can dial in a beautifully robust, complex tone that is just a joy to play. Just my 2 cents.

logdrum likes this.
  8. TFR

TFR Supporting Member

Yeah, I liked my Mark I reissue for that kind of tone.

9. Sandman85

Sandman85 Member

I third the recommendation of the Fuchs Four Aces. Don't let the 4-5 watts fool you, that sucker is loud. It will get you into the Dumble territory, but also some Marshall and "tweed-ish" tones as well. Incredibly versatile, and can be had in the used market for $800-1,000 for the head or combo. I have the 21" combo, and it rocks.

10. SuperReverb2

SuperReverb2 Member

Kemper Profiler Power Head loaded with Michael Britt's Dumble profiles of Keith Urban's old Dumble. Closest I've heard yet if not bang on. Seriously. Get yourself a good pair of headphones and or a decent speaker cabinet (I use a Glaswerks 2 x 12 loaded with Celestion G12-65's and a Redplate 1 x 12 loaded with an EV) and you're good to go.

:)

11. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

Good post @SuperReverb2 Actually, the 5 Dumble amp sounds that I use are with my Kemper and are from Michael Britt. They're incredible... actually those and a few /13 amp profiles are all that I really need or use... lots of tones there...

12. lemonpaul59

lemonpaul59 Member

I've recorded a few songs using an Ethos Overdrive into a Two Notes Torpedo Live, then into a GMajor II effects unit. I can play that at 3 AM and nobody cares!

It's still nice to have a 5 watt-ish connoisseur small amp, like a Fuchs 4 Aces with a fine set of tubes and a super sweet speaker.

13. lemonpaul59

lemonpaul59 Member

My Lucky 7 Mk II is housed in the mini-combo, with a Neo Creamback speaker. It sounds gigantic. Makes for a surprisingly good jazz amp as well as the Dumble thing.

I like it so much I bought a 4 Aces head to keep it company.

14. lemonpaul59

lemonpaul59 Member

Yes indeed, I've put a Zendrive in front of a transistor Polytone and it sounded excellent.

tone4days likes this.
  15. lemonpaul59

lemonpaul59 Member

I assume you must be Canadian, otherwise you'd have cited the plethora of American made D-Style amps.

I've never seen this Trinity amp. Looks like a nice compact package he's made.

I've loved the clips of the Kingsley Bastion, also made in Canada.

16. rwijaya

rwijaya Member

most people don't realize that HAD designed ODS circuit is to be a really versatile amp. It can go from "sparkle" bright sounds (it has a bright switch guys), low gain, all the way to tone bender type of Fuzz when you cranked up the ratio on the OD channel (with the mid switch turned on). or it can stay clean just like a twin reverb. Its really depend on the player, the way they setup the amp. The way larry carlton setup his dumble is way different that the way robben ford and so on.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
    zenas likes this.
  17. makerdp

makerdp Member

Heh nope. I'm in central California. Just a very happy Trinity customer. I really wish they'd make this amp available as a kit!

18. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

Still GASing for one of those.