HELP - Gibson wiring problem

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by buddyboy, Mar 2, 2012.

1. buddyboy

buddyboy Gold Supporting Member

Anyone know what would cause the volume controls on my 355 to control both pickups, at the same time? The bridge and neck volume controls control both their respective pickup AND the other pickup as well. Same with the tone controls.

2. Bhodie

Bhodie Member

was is always this way? did you change something? did it work the other way before and just start? kind of hard to help with no background or history...

3. supa-fuzz

supa-fuzz Member

Is it stock and are you sure you don't have an ES-340? Those have a master volume and blender control

4. buddyboy

buddyboy Gold Supporting Member

Sorry - I should have been clearer. I recently removed the harness and replaced the 300k volume and 100k tone pots with 500k audio pots. I did each pot in sequence, making sure I resoldered the new pot in exactly as it had been prior. The guitar had already been altered to use a mono jack as opposed to stereo, however it was so configured when it had the old pots in it and I didn't have this problem.

I am thinking it may not be the wiring as I literally duplicated the soldering of the pots, but maybe a grounding problem of some sort?

I have been searching the web for answers and can't really find much. I did, however, find this thread on this very page from awhile ago (check post #5):

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=661021

Could this be normal for an '81 ES-355?

5. supa-fuzz

supa-fuzz Member

^ That sounds like a logical explanation. Does yours still have the varitone in the circuit? If not, I would just swap it all out for a regular 335 harness.

6. sliberty

sliberty Member

If you are talking about when the pickup selector is on one pickup or the other (not both), it could be that the switch is failing, or that the wiring on the switch is engaging both picks even when it should not (wires from one side touching the other side).

7. supa-fuzz

supa-fuzz Member

That was my other thought too, the switch failing or wiring crossed up there, but he said he went one for one replacing the pots.