Help going Ampless

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by stevel, Apr 14, 2019 at 4:23 PM.

1. snow and steel

snow and steel Supporting Member

My blues cube has a emulated line out that works fantastic, and I can shut the master volume off and be silent, but changing amps isn't likely what you're looking for (also more expensive). I believe Quilter has an amp that can go silent right after a pedal board with using any speakers too, might be a touch cheaper but probably still not ideal.

Ritchie Kotzen uses his rk5 tech 21 this way and gets great results - that might be the ideal "get your toes wet" to see if you like this approach before springing for a helix or something.

2. TopJimmy5150

TopJimmy5150 Member

I have had good luck with the Fender Mustang Floor unit. I bought it used for $125 off of someone here on TGP years ago. I set it up to mimic a Twin Reverb with a "Green" overdrive pedal in front of it...and there's my tone! I don't take amps to gigs any more. I'm surprised these never caught on....they sound great and are actually pedal friendly too.

3. stevel

stevel Member

No, I like my cleans dead clean, so this is great info. Thanks!

4. jjjp

jjjp Supporting Member

I think you said $299 for the Amplifirebox is a stretch- I don't know if you can beat the sims on that at that pricepoint. Amplifirebox has the same exact sims as all of Atomic's other models and those sims are very good- comparable to most anything on the market.

biffoz likes this.
  5. stephenf

stephenf Member

I just bought a Boss GT-1 last month for $200. It's a sweet unit. I used a Line 6 HD500 for a few years in a church band but I didn't want to shell out the big bucks for my own after leaving that gig. I also considered a Fender Floor, having owned a Mustang III, but couldn't find one reasonably priced. No more amps for me.

6. sink

sink Member

I will do no such thing.

VaughnC likes this.
  7. bob-i

bob-i Member

I think my point was missed.

Equipment doesn’t matter as much as dialing in the right tones. I was able to use a 3 gen old HD500 and dial in tones good enough that the rest of the band didn’t know I was ampless. You can too.

8. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

Have a decent iPhone?

iRig HD2 - $79.

You'll have to tap the phone to switch presets, but you could also do clean-to-drive via your guitar's volume, or just dial-up a clean tone on the phone, and use a couple of pedals.

9. Steve Hotra

Steve Hotra Silver Supporting Member

G34RSLU7 likes this.
  10. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

:agreeHere, here...I wish the OP good luck, but I doubt I would enjoy playing ampless. The fun (for me) is in the interaction of the guitar & amp:crazy!

sink likes this.
  11. misterturtlehead

misterturtlehead Member

guitar>Ibanez LM7 L.A. Metal>sound guy's mixing board

12. bigtone23

bigtone23 Member

The Tech 21 Flyrigs are really cool for this. The new Flyrig 5 V2 will get you the clean, dirty and boost for both, all with XLR out and reverb and tappable delay and tuner. You may need to add another pedal (or not) for the 2nd dirt sound.

13. StevieShiner

StevieShiner Member

Check out the Line 6 Firehawk. I had to do a fly gig but was out of work at the time, could not afford the Helix. Got a Firehawk used for cheap. Frickin' thing sounded GREAT. I would still be using it except that I require more control for what I do. I quickly upgraded to the Helix but I will say that the Firehawk was right there with the tones I was able to conjure.

14. Giga

Giga Member

The obvious answer is the Mooer preamp live....

Giga

15. biffoz

biffoz Member

Honestly, even with the old Boss GT-5 I'd get people coming up asking what amp I was using and saying the tones were awesome and I'd wait a bit, letting them gush, then tell, or show them my stuff and almost instantly, I'd hear comments about "warming things up" with this or that . . . I'd laugh and say, "Can't take it back: you were totally into the sounds, before hearing what gear I'm using." and they would shuffle a bit and say, yeah it sounds great. Funny how deep some myths run. I know what amps feel like and the Kingsley Squire on my board feels and more importantly, sounds just like a Fender; add a cab/IR box and I don't feel ampless in any way.

Second, possibly more important result was that the house got a dialed sound, without the wildcards of micing amps and stage bleed/volume. Half the time, I just went with house monitors at places with good systems, but the rest of the time, brought a pair full-range Acme bass cabs and a Crown Power amp and it was stereo heaven that most houses could never begin to provide without major headaches. Even with just a pair of Celestions in monitor cabs, it was still awesome.

Final nail in the coffin was without a backline, I became much more present in the mix, for way more consistent results, gig-to-gig.

Downside to this is when guitar-hero types want to get right up to the stage to be close to the action and see things, there was no sound coming at them and between songs, I'd tell them that the best sound was coming from the PA, further back in the room.

G34RSLU7 likes this.
  16. Spec

Spec Member

Most any of the modeler type solutions will work these days.
    You just need to adapt to it, make it work for you.