Help! Grace Under Pressure chorus using Helix

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by shred440, Jun 25, 2019.

1. shred440

shred440 Supporting Member

I just saw an amazing Rush tribute band (Our bassist's other band), and I got inspired to get wet; Grace Under Pressure, 80's Rush, wet! I've played with the 70's Chorus and the Courtesan Flanger and I'm just not feeling it. Perhaps I'm just setting them up like a noob! :D I admit, I've played many years, but I'm usually playing barely wet. Any help would be appreciated! Remember, 80's Rush wet, not 70's (Which is equally, if not more, awesome! I'm just on an 80's kick)

2. Dan Desy

Dan Desy Member

Try the dimension. Play with the switches.

3. primemover12

primemover12 Member

At that time, Lifeson was kind of transitioning from the early Led Zepp impersonation act to his own kind of 80s hybrid of Van Halen, the Edge, and Andy Summers. The transition was complete by Power Windows, when he dumped the Marshalls for a Gallien Krueger solid state combo.

Amp wise, he used Marshall combos. In terms of effects, he's using the Roland Dimension D, the Roland SDE-3000, and the Korg SDD-3000. Nearly everything was double-tracked in stereo. Grace Under Pressure is one of the first albums they did a fair amount of overdubs for lead lines too. Lots of compression on the leads and a fair amount of reverb too.

Don't underestimate the guitars too--superstrats with pretty high output Lawrence humbuckers helped drive the amps.

TubeStack and mbenigni like this.
  4. ctreitzell

ctreitzell Member

^^ This and much more.

Lerxst is a TC1210 guy, I don't know if he had it on P/G, yet there aren't really other boxes that can sound exactly like a TC 1210 or 2290.

Also, right hand technique: Alex was also quoted often back in the day for saying right hand "mostly down" direction.

5. hippietim

hippietim Member

Hush, mbenigni and JiveTurkey like this.
  6. Willowdale

Willowdale Member

7. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Trumpets and Tants Silver Supporting Member

80s Rush is some of my favorite Rush. Great stuff.

hippietim, CBHTele and ColdFrixion like this.
  8. Dave Merrill

Dave Merrill Supporting Member

Agree. Don't think it's a popular opinion but I love Hold Your Fire. Still a favorite.

I'm not a huge Lifeson fan though, and play like him zero.

ctreitzell and JiveTurkey like this.
  9. JiveTurkey

Agreed but with the caveat that I am an absolute Lifeson fanboy.

dmock66 and hippietim like this.
  10. Tootone

Tootone Member

I can still hear the unmistakeable sound of his EHX Electric Mistress in a fair amount if that album.

I guess that's what the Helix Courtesan is.

Start experimenting with the Courtesan going into Boss CE1 (Jazz Chorus) or CE2 clones. This was a fairly popular trick at the time... flanger into chorus... to get a really watery spacey and pleasant sound. The Police Walking On The Moon is a classic example.

There's no cheat sheet for this, you will just have to experiment and find Flanger and Chorus settings that work together... and keep notes.

Adding delay after the Chorus will also change the "swirl" quite drastically.

Try opposites High Depth vs Low Depth, Med Rate vs Slow Rate etc... it won't take long to start hearing the sounds you are after... getting them spot on is the frustrating part.

twinrider1, Hush, MIJLOVER and 3 others like this.
  11. Rewolf

Rewolf Member

Love this era Rush.

I like the concept of the Fear "trilogy" - how much planning does it take to put out Part 3 on Moving Pictures, Part 2 on Signals, Part 1 on Grace Under Pressure (and 4 on Vapor Trails) with album release dates from 81 through 84 (and 02)?

12. JiveTurkey

13. Dan Desy

Dan Desy Member

I think the answer is none at all :)

@JiveTurkey im a huge all-eras-Lifeson geek, as well. Interestingly, HYF is my least favorite post-Rutsey album.

That being said, all other 80s Rush is amazing!

Mooselake and JiveTurkey like this.
  14. JiveTurkey

Ahh man 80s Rush hits all the nostalgia notes for me. Poppy chorused guitars (and era-defining production values :drink) melded with killer electronic sounds and Neil Peart driving grooves, relentlessly but tastefully; and just jaw dropping musicianship across the board. So. So. Good.

I heard the first Rush album (and by extension; Rutsey) after hearing later 70s Rush (and by extension; Peart). I don't listen to their debut really ever because of that fact [​IMG]

AZguitar, mbenigni and Dan Desy like this.
  15. Mooselake

Mooselake Member

Yeah P/G represents pretty much the height of the Hentor Sportscaster (modded Strat) thread/era, and iirc it was pretty much the end before he switched over to Signature (?) guitars and active pickups.

Starting with this record, and until Roll the Bones came out, I didn't really bond well with most of the material they recorded. Perhaps traitorous to say, but especially looking back after several decades, those last three records with Terry Brown: Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures, and Signals (the latter has held up over time way better than I thought it would) were never quite equaled as albums. One of my mild disappointments in life was that they didn't do one last project with Brown as they were closing the book on things circa R40. Maybe it wouldn't have worked well, but would have been cool if they tried, and fit the theme of ending at the beginning that they adopted for the tour.

Great info in the article linked above.

Lifeson (the whole band really) was indeed a sponge that soaked up a lot of influences through time. I don't hear as much Edge as a lot of people (who's opinion I defer to), but the Police influence was pretty unmistakable. Kid Gloves (from P/G) is the only Rush song I could think of off the top of my head that seemed an explicit nod in Eddie's direction, though maybe the rise of the whammy in his playing that started during the early 80s is an indirect nod (although he cited Jeff Beck as an influence at the time).

Haven't thought about Grace Under Pressure in a long time. Thanks for bringing it up, and sorry I'm no help with crafting a rig.

16. JiveTurkey

The Police influence is absolutely why I loved this era. Imagine if they would have toured together? Stewart Copeland AND Neil Peart in a single concert. FORGET ABOUT IT :drink:drink:drink

I saw Rush 3 times over the years. Presto, Roll the Bones and Counterparts. They were amazing every time. And on the subject of this era; remind yourself how awesome Lifeson is yet again and go listen to the solo on Ghost of a Chance. What a piece of guitar perfection it is :bow

eoengineer, dmock66 and mbenigni like this.
  17. Dan Desy

Dan Desy Member

3 times, uh? Adorable ;)

hippietim likes this.
  18. JiveTurkey

Fanboy; not fanatic :anon:D

19. Dan Desy

Dan Desy Member

I really, really don’t hear any Eddie I fournie on Kid Gloves... weird.
    But great song nonetheless!

And what about Between the Wheels? Awesome album closer, also a treat live.
    That was the first drop D tuned song I was ever aware of.

Mooselake likes this.
  20. Dan Desy

Dan Desy Member

You say that with such a negative tone... ;)
    And also, it’s you we’re talking about!

JiveTurkey likes this.