Help! Grace Under Pressure chorus using Helix

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by shred440, Jun 25, 2019.

1. hippietim

hippietim Member

My favorite Lifeson solo will always be La Villa Strangiato.

2. hippietim

hippietim Member

Ghost of a Chance is an awesome song though!

Mooselake and JiveTurkey like this.
  3. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Trumpets and Tants Silver Supporting Member

Oh god yes! Dynamics for dayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyys

hippietim likes this.
  4. Mooselake

Mooselake Member

I do in the whammy stuff in the solo, to me it's a bit more timbre and attitude than lick-borrowing or anything. Plus at the time there were some urban legend-style rumors that there had been a small incident between the VH/crew and Rush/crew as they crossed paths in their respective tours that was reputed to have contributed to the songs genesis. So maybe because of those rumors I sort of project some EVH into that one.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
  5. Mooselake

Mooselake Member

Unfortunately at the time the Police had an amount of disdain for Rush that they didn't really try to hide.

6. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Trumpets and Tants Silver Supporting Member

That is very unfortunate :(

hippietim and Mooselake like this.
  7. ToneBenderz

ToneBenderz Member

The Roland CE-1 is a great pedal for early RUSH, IMHO.

8. Mooselake

Mooselake Member

JiveTurkey likes this.
  9. ctreitzell

ctreitzell Member

IIRC, I saw P/G tour two nights running at the Cow Palace back in the day. Seats, tho were a long ways away. By far my fave Rush record.

10. primemover12

primemover12 Member

I hear Eddie's influence on a few tracks on that album, probably most especially on the closer "Between the Wheels"--whammy bar squeals, tasty legato runs, and a little bit of that "falling down the stairs and landing on your feet" thing that Ed was so good at on 1984.

I love Hold Your Fire and Power Windows too, but Grace Under Pressure is probably my pick for the most consistently great Rush album. Not a single weak track.

Mooselake likes this.
  11. Mooselake

Mooselake Member

Interesting how we hear different things in different songs. To me Lifeson has always been good at the trick of "falling down the stairs and landing on your feet" (love that way of putting it) as he so often gets to the edge of control in his solos. Free Will and and Spirit of Radio come to mind from the older catalog. But when it comes to comparing him to EVH kid gloves always leaps to mind.

P/G is in the bottom 1/3rd for me. Hard to beat Moving Pictures for first-to-last quality, really everything 2112 through Moving Pictures for me (showing my age, I am, haha). At least to my ear. And I don't think any of their albums were bad, just varying degrees of goodness, which is subjective, of course.

Dan Desy likes this.
  12. primemover12

primemover12 Member

Yeah, you might be slightly older than me, though I'm no spring chicken. But I was never a blues-rock or Zeppelin fan, so for me, Rush got better with each step they took away from being a bad Led Zep clone. Moving Pictures is the first one I considered decent, but I didn't really think they came into their own until Grace Under Pressure--finally all the lame blues rock stuff was gone and they were doing their own thing. I love everything from Grace Under Pressure through Counterparts. I thought Test for Echo was pretty mediocre, and everything after that was a regression to the hook-less riffing of the 70s.

Mooselake likes this.
  13. hippietim

hippietim Member

[​IMG]

14. shred440

shred440 Supporting Member

It's funny, my favorite Rush period is from 2112 to Signals. While I hear the Zeppelin influence on the first few albums (Mostly the first and I'm not a fan), I'd say that influence diminished around Farewell to Kings and most definitely by Hemispheres.

I'm kinda loving my exploration of Rush, post Signals. It's like finding gold!

15. therealjoeblow

therealjoeblow Member

Love Rush and Lifeson, but back on topic...

I've personally ditched all of the "Chorus" options and use the "Stereo Dual Pitch" instead on my Helix. Fractal has a similar effect (Pitch Block). Pan and Set L/R detune to anywhere between 7-13 cents (+/- for L/R).

This gives me a much more satisfying wide chorus effect without the warble that I don't like in most Chorus pedals.

Leon Todd has a great tutorial. Start watching around 1:55...

You can do basically the same thing on the Helix, sounds awesome.

Cheers
    TRJB

Mooselake likes this.
  16. Mooselake

Mooselake Member

I guess the one thing we agree on is that post Test for Echo (which I really liked) was not the bands strongest period album-wise, although I would not compare it to the 1970s. I'd quibble that they were a really good "Led Zep clone" insofar as the first record goes, but once Peart joined they moved pretty rapidly away from those roots. 2112 (their 4th) came out only 2 years after Rush, IIRC. There's no period of theirs I disdain, actually if you listen to some of their later live albums, material from that mid-80s to early 90s period fits in pretty well with their older and newer stuff. For me though the albums just didn't have that same something that drew me in the way their immediate predecessors did. I'm sure some of that is because the period overlapped my later college and early career days, and the start of the family man years, and music was a less immediate priority. So maybe I didn't give them the time to grow on me.

17. hobbes1

hobbes1 Member

"Like" button pushed for entire thread!

18. Rocco Crocco

Rocco Crocco Member

19. presence

presence Member

It's interesting to compare the tones in the Villa video above to this vintage tone. Different flavors, I like both.

wallaceSnr, Mooselake and JiveTurkey like this.
  20. maxnew40

maxnew40 Member

I saw every tour from A Farewell To Kings through Roll The Bones. I sort of lost interest in their later material.

Mooselake likes this.