help - grounding problem maybe? soldering George L's into my board

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by awaywardson, Sep 10, 2008.

1. awaywardson

awaywardson Member

i've been using George L's in my pedalboard for a couple of years, with no problems. i recently upgraded from a flat piece of plywood to a Trailer Trash board. ( i know, i was SO stoked when i unwrapped it...) anyway, i ordered some locking connectors and proceded to hardwire everything into my board. i tested each solder job and everyone of them was noiseless and wonderfull (made the right noise, you know what i mean.) So, i get the board all ready, and i get this AWFUL racket when i power everything up and turn my amp on. I immediately checked my signal chain and power supplies, everything was right, so I started trying to isolate the problem. I can't find a single problem individually. But i get this awful loud humming/roar when i turn it on. So i'm confused now. Do you think i need to somehow ground the locking connectors to each other? shouldn't they be grounded to the board? ugh. all that work...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. mike@nortoncable.com

mike@nortoncable.com Member

did you get any guitar sound out of it at all? or just Hum & Noise.

3. awaywardson

awaywardson Member

guitar sound is audible, but the hum and noise almost completely drown it out. makes me shiver even thinking about it.

4. awaywardson

awaywardson Member

maybe i'm not getting that great of a connection somewhere with the George L's (which have never failed me 'til now.) the Lava Cables solderless kit looks tempting, but can i solder them to the locking connectors on the side(s) of my board?

5. meterman

meterman Member

sounds like you have a bad ground in one of your GL right angle plugs. When that would happen to me I'd get this obnoxiously loud buzz/hum that overpowered any signal and I couldn't shut the amp down fast enough. Check to make sure all the caps are tight first...

I think if you get the Mini ELC lava cable you could do what you want with it, I made both soldered and solderless cables with mini ELC. Sounds great and is cheap ($1.65/foot I think)...

6. awaywardson

awaywardson Member

thanks meterman... still thinkin' about the switch to Mini ELC. i could probably sell the RA GL plugs on here... i'll look into it, but first i'll double-check all my plugs.

7. Telefied

Telefied Member

Did you ever fix this? I had the same problem with Mini Lava solderless. Spoke to rooster at trailer trash and he clued me into a secret. You need to solder a short wire from the "ring" of those jacks to one of the screws you used to install the jack into the board. Effectively grounding the sleeve of your pedal chain to the actual board. Reason is that those jacks are made for balanced signals and lift the ground of the pedal chain. Now it only needs to be done once. The input jack is a good one to do this to becuase if you have multiple out put it saves you from soldering the extra wire to each.

Word of caution... there is still some buzz even when you do this. Totally un noticable unless you use a buffer :( and who does not use a buffer on a board that size. I am kinda bummed I can't get the "noise" level running into the installed jacks to be the same as using pedal jacks only.

If you have solved it a different way please tag me back!