Help! Guitar suddenly stopped working...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by icr, Feb 10, 2015.

1. icr

icr Member

I was making music the other day and suddenly my guitar became quieter and then just quit. I fiddled with the switches on the amp box and can't get it to make any noise or notes.

I did notice this big wire that comes out of the amp box looks odd. I thought it may have been connected to this other wire on the floor, but I can't remember.

I'm thinking of just taking everything to the repair shop. I'm due to go there to have my guitar strings tightened anyway.

Is it safe to mess with those wires. My repair shop said I might have a toob amp and have to be careful about shocks.

[​IMG]

2. Ilduce

Ilduce And now for something completely different! Supporting Member

That's bad! If it were me I'd take it to a good tech!

3. BluesForDan

BluesForDan Member

that's a damn shame. now you have to throw everything away and start all over again if you want to make music. But ask yourself, do you really? Well? Do you, punk?

:messedup:hide

4. freaksho

freaksho Member

i agree, just throw it all away and start fresh. i suggest this quality rig:

[​IMG]

the wire from the amp box doesn't need to connect to anything. you simply let it dangle in the air, or run it all the way down to the carpet (just like you're already used to doing). everyone knows berber carpet provides the most dynamic and 'musical' tone, so you're all set there. and the strings on the guitar are self-tightening, so no need for any service ever.

5. chance0

chance0 Member

Buy a $200 power audiophile cable next time with extra beefy prongs. Make sure you pick the cryogenically frozen, silver-plated cable with mithril shielding. It will help make sure you won't see your sound waves anymore because tone will be so transparent and airy.

6. GasMask

GasMask Member

7. Ron

Ron Supporting Member

Did your henna tattoo wear off? Your hair lose its spikiness? Oh gawd, you actually shaved? That 'splains it Lucy, you're not cool enuff for guitar.

[​IMG]

8. remocity

remocity Supporting Member

This is going to be expensive....

9. bgh

bgh Supporting Member

You broke a cardinal rule. When you use a setup like that, the colors have to match. Otherwise, the cables will reject each other. Electrons are very introverted. That' s why they hide inside wires. They are very shy and will not put up with having to switch to a different colored wire.

It's best to invest in a matched set.

10. Trout

Trout Member

You plug your "Guitar" with an UN-grounded 2 prong cord?

Beware

11. icr

icr Member

Good news! My amp tech says I don't have a toob amp so no risk of shock. Amp is Rockburn 10. Turns out that black wire is a power cable to allow the amp to make its power. He says it will be more powerful (like if the knob goes to "11") if I use DRAGON SE IEC MAINS CABLE. Exactly, the new wire will make "massive improvement in complete power and authority" as a fact from the web.
    The plug does not fit the hole in my wall, but he says I can just cut the plug off the DRAGON CABLE and tape it to my existing plug.
    [​IMG]

12. mt1782

mt1782 Silver Supporting Member

Wow I hope he used conductive tape, you might need the extra shielding to get the pure tone.

13. ChampReverb

ChampReverb Silver Supporting Member

For some guitar players that can really improve the way they sound!

Recommended by parents, neighbors, girlfriends and cats in 42 out of 50 states.

-bEn r.

14. Jonny G

Jonny G Member

I can see that this thread is going to run.....

15. Deuterium

Deuterium Member

You might want to consider buying two extra sets of the Dragon SE IEC Mains cable. One you can keep as a backup, because power supply cables are known to be prone to failure...and you don't want that happening at an important time, like just when you begin the solo to "Stairway to Heaven". The other Dragon cable you can use to replace the power cable on your HDTV. While the Dragon cable is renowned for massively improving audio quality, it is also a great A/V power cable. Assuming you have a 1080p HDTV, the dragon cable will improve the resolution on your television dramatically, turning it into a 4K Ultra HDTV.

I have even replaced the regular cable on my coffee maker with a Dragon SE IEC Mains. Now, my ordinary Maxwell House coffee tastes like it is Jamaican Blue Mountain.

-- Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel
    Marketing Manager, Merlin Cables

16. MHG

MHG Member