Help. how to play the intro to Funk 49 the "right way"

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by steved0x, Jul 23, 2008.

1. steved0x

steved0x Member

I have been playing this song for years, always fumbling through the intro, never getting it quite right. So I decided to do a search for some tab or other that shows how to do this intro. Most of the tab I have found is terrible (even some that you pay for), or it may just be that I am not reading the rhythm right :)

I did find this video intro:

http://www.discoverguitaronline.com/videos/view/259

It sounds good but I am having a hard time seeing what the left and right hand are doing.

Does anyone have any hot tips or can help me out with this?

Thanks!!!

Steve

2. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

I did a quick search and the tab came up and it looked accurate, and pretty much just like that video which is good as well. Watch the slow part of it, he does it real slow. Only thing I do a bit differently is play the chickn' pick'n part a little more stacatto as that's how I remember it.

Just go by the slow section and break it down. Pause it after each and practice, review each hand. On the reverse bend you need to use hybrid picking for the chick'n pick'n part.

3. steved0x

steved0x Member

When I view it, especially if I try to do any pausing, the video and the sound do not seem to be synchronized and it makes it tough to see what hand is doing what. I'll try to go to another computer and try it to see if that helps.

Do you mind sharing the link to the accurate tabs that you had found?

Thanks.

Steve

4. Dickie Fredericks

Dickie Fredericks Member

The video looks like how I play it. I cant hear it though cause I gots no speakers on this puter.

5. steved0x

steved0x Member

Can you hook me up with some quick tab :) Just the last part right before you start into the main riff.

I have got it up to the 3rd string 7th fret is bent up one whole step and then released witht he chicken picking, but then there is some sort of funky pulloffs going before the A7 part is played. I am just trying to get those pulloffs :)

Thanks!

Steve

6. stevel

stevel Member

It's just 7-5-0 on the third and fourth strings in succession from what I can tell.

HTH,
    Another Steve

7. virtualblues

virtualblues Supporting Member

That video looks and sounds incredibly accurate to me. Chicken pickin' that G string is the stealth technique that really nails it. James Gang Rides Again!

8. angus99

angus99 Member

Steve, thank you, brother, for posting that link! I don't know, but I suspect, it's one that used to be known as "copy chops" (the SG and a lot of the licks look & sound familiar). I always thought they did a fantastic job with note-for-note riffs, solos and licks--some of the best demos on the web.

I just wish there was a way to rip the videos and store them on my disk (I think they're flash videos). When copy chops went down, I had just found the site and could not figure how to rip the videos. I really hated losing access. I've tried Vixy with this one, but it won't do the job. (By the way, I am joining the site, will send them a year's worth of dues and continue visiting their site regularly so I don't feel I'm costing them anything-- but I really like having the videos where I know they can't be lost if the site shuts down again.)

Thanks again,

angus

9. SpudMurphy

SpudMurphy Member

Cardiff, Wales, The United Kingdom of GB and NI
    I have to agree with the initial post on this - all the tab I have seen out there for this song is poor.
    Doesn't bear any resemblance to the video link posted.

I am having trouble at the very same spot and I don't think it's 7-5-0 -it doesn't sound correct to me?

Anybody else have a suggested way of playing it?

10. steved0x

steved0x Member

I'ver been messing with it some more and I can get the 7 5 0 (G string) 7 5 0 (D string) to work if I do the following.

Make sure I start it at the right time, if it starts to late it doesn't sound right.
    I also try and let the b string ring out a little bit when I am on the G string pulloffs, and then let the g string ring out a little bit when I am doing the D string pulloffs

To help me start the pulloffs at the right time I also do a little bend on the G string 7->9 (I think on the 4th 16th note of the 3rd beat), then release this and start the pulloffs on the 4 beat.

So I am not sure if this is right, but it is way closer than before and I am happy with it.

Steve

11. SpudMurphy

SpudMurphy Member

Yup you were right - I don't know whether the video clip was changed but in the slow version (which I'm sure was not there before) it is as you say 7 5 0 7 5 0

Spud

12. Plague Dog

Plague Dog Member

I get the intro with no problem, where I have a problem with the song is the break down coming back into the main riff.

13. DavidS

DavidS Supporting Member

A recent Guitar Player issue did a "How to Sound/Play Like Joe Walsh" article which had the tab for Funk #49 lick in it. I'll try to find that copy.

14. SpudMurphy

SpudMurphy Member

Great stuff - I've noweven cracked the lead he does too!

Man I saw him do this Live with the James Gang in 1970 when they supported The Who!!

15. steved0x

steved0x Member

Awesome, their tab should be accurate, I'll keep an eye on this thread to see if you get a chance to find it.

Thanks

Steve

16. DavidS

DavidS Supporting Member

Here you go. Took me a while to find it. May 2007GP.

[​IMG]

17. Dr Git

Dr Git Member

The pull off part is the tricky part...Great Riff though

18. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

That scanned transcription looks alright, but what the guy in that video does is more accurate, because he adds those open strings in the right spots and gives it that cool "Joe" sound. You gotta have those. Like on the bent C note in the first measure the open strings ring out and then at the end of the intro too. Watch the video, that's the easiest way to pick it up, especially since he goes through it slow, and nails it.