Help - I cant get on with the Flexi

worlez

Member
Messages
64
After raving about the Flexi, I'm starting to get frustrated with it. I'm finding it just too fiddly, I'm spending more time trying to dial it in day by day rather than actually enjoying playing, to the point where I've turned it round so I cant see the knobs!

It has this upper mid buzz going on which I just dont like, and its just not working for me. I really need some help picking an amp now. I like very simple amps that I dont have to piss about fiddling with. The tone has to be like a great Marshall, but thicker, fatter, more musical, and not at all harsh - I've tried originals, self modded 800's, an Aiken, this Flexi, and none of em gave me the sound I'm after. I've heard some EXCELLENT live clips of a band called Hurricane Party courtesy of BigHair, and they get fantastic tone from Cornell Plexi's. Anyone got any experience with em? Or how about the Marshall 18watters/Metro amp 18w build? Soldano?

I did have a Cornford Hurricane which came the closest, but ended up selling that because I didn't get the low end and depth I wanted due to the 84's. I never got to try it with a 4x12 though...

I'm stuck now...

Cheers

Al
 

Jon Silberman

10Q Jerry & Dickey
Gold Supporting Member
Messages
41,469
Originally posted by worlez
I'm starting to get frustrated with it. I'm finding it just too fiddly, I'm spending more time trying to dial it in day by day rather than actually enjoying playing ... It has this upper mid buzz going on which I just dont like, and its just not working for me.

I really need some help picking an amp now. I like very simple amps that I dont have to piss about fiddling with. The tone has to be like a great Marshall, but thicker, fatter, more musical, and not at all harsh ...

Al
FWIW, Al, your comments on the Flexi or similar to how I felt about the Univalve I owned and sold a while back.

I'm sorry I can't advise you on a Marshally replacement, I don't have any expertise in that area.
 

worlez

Member
Messages
64
Yeah, it's not really what I expected at all. It's very very dry sounding, I think thats my main complaint.

Al
 

JWR

Member
Messages
444
That is disappointing. I had been considering the Flexi or a Soldano. My Marshall 2204 buzzes a bit, but I can still plug and play with minimal noodling. I still have not found a MV amp to beat this particular '78 JMP 2204.
 

Myron Stratis

Member
Messages
981
Maby try a different set of power-amp tubes: 6L6's will do the "warm and smooth" trick. Or you could try a lower gain 12at7 in V2.

Flexi is a great amp IMHO and it REALLY shines in a band context: Massive tone and no soundman can burry you in the mix! I suggest you to find some nice settings, remember them and start from there. I like that sonic adventure that Flexi gives me(if I want to): I can coax different stuff from my amp every day! Also the way it interacts with pedals, pickups, guitars, cables, tubes, picks (!!!!) is plain and simple AMAZING! I really have no problem, I have my favorite settings and the tone is always there: If I feel like tweaking I do it. And you should try a Maxon SD9 in front of it!!! :dude Liquid smooth overdrive with a high-mid enchance that has to be heard to believe!
 

Fretmaster

Member
Messages
2,179
There are several builders that offer what I consider "plexi style but better" alternatives. Take a look at the Mojave amps. Killer modded "plexi but better" style tones and they have a 12 watter, 45 watter and the 100 watt mother of all plexi's, the Peacemaker, if you can use that kind of power. I've also ready great things about the Cornell's but have no personal experience with them. The Germino's have a great following as well. But when I read your description: "The tone has to be like a great Marshall, but thicker, fatter, more musical, and not at all harsh" the first amp that came to mind was my Divided by 13 FTR37. Your description of what you want is EXACTLY how I would describe my FTR37. The same could be said for my D13 SJT 10/20 as well just at lower volumes. Just for reference I play the FTR through a Bruno 4X12 loaded with Celestion Blues and the SJT through the same 4X12 or it's matching 2x12 cab also loaded with Blue's. Both cabs are semi-open back and both amps still have tons of thump and nice tight basss response. Any way, some others you may want to check out are the Roccaforte's (killer tones out of ever amp he makes), Harry Straub Cantus (best 50 watt plexi style amp I've EVER heard), Komet 60 or Constellation (not exactly plexi's but killer amps with a loads of dynamics, thick lead tones, nice tight bottom end and never harsh). BTW... I also own a Cornford Hurricane and have plugged it into my 4x12's on various occasions and it sounds much bigger than the 1x12. Just my .02.

;)
 

markp

Gold Supporting Member
Messages
830
Originally posted by worlez
After raving about the Flexi, I'm starting to get frustrated with it. I'm finding it just too fiddly, I'm spending more time trying to dial it in day by day rather than actually enjoying playing, to the point where I've turned it round so I cant see the knobs!

It has this upper mid buzz going on which I just dont like, and its just not working for me. I really need some help picking an amp now. I like very simple amps that I dont have to piss about fiddling with. The tone has to be like a great Marshall, but thicker, fatter, more musical, and not at all harsh - I've tried originals, self modded 800's, an Aiken, this Flexi, and none of em gave me the sound I'm after. I've heard some EXCELLENT live clips of a band called Hurricane Party courtesy of BigHair, and they get fantastic tone from Cornell Plexi's. Anyone got any experience with em? Or how about the Marshall 18watters/Metro amp 18w build? Soldano?

I did have a Cornford Hurricane which came the closest, but ended up selling that because I didn't get the low end and depth I wanted due to the 84's. I never got to try it with a 4x12 though...

I'm stuck now...

Cheers

Al
The Flexi isnt for everyone.
I had a little love hate going on with the Flexi at first and has has only gotten better.I came from high gain MV amps with no dynamics and Playing the Flexi I had to re examan my pick hand and would sound majical one day and come in with the same settings next day and not have it(and start turning knobs and changing tubes)
I have 73 Marshall that I love and Soldano Avenger that I love and is really easy to shread on.
The Mids in the Flexi are differant and by it self isnt what I would think was as sweet as a good Marshall upermid thing that my ear loves,but put it in the mix in the studio or live with the band and it is awsome and it wins for me!Huge fat lead tone and great rythm tone.

I Plugin the Flexi everyday and my contoll and hand tone gets better all the time
 

aleclee

TGP Tech Wrangler
Staff member
Messages
12,847
Originally posted by markp
The Mids in the Flexi are differant and by it self isnt what I would think was as sweet as a good Marshall upermid thing that my ear loves,but put it in the mix in the studio or live with the band and it is awsome and it wins for me!
Funny. That's the way I feel about most Marshalls. They don't do too much for me by themselves but they sure do sound good when used in a band context.

That said, I'd echo Myron's suggestion and try different power tubes, starting with 6L6s. If that's too much of a difference, you might try 6CA7s. I really like the way they tend to split the difference between EL34s and 6L6s. The EH ones are a great alternative to the much more pricey GT model.
 

rooster

Member
Messages
2,119
I have an amp you might be interested in. Send me an e-mail, and I'll send you some info.

rooster.
 

Mr.Hanky

Member
Messages
3,999
Originally posted by riffmeister
Dr Z Rt 66

three knobs

great tones
FOOKIN-A!!

It is the anti-tweaker amp!!


Man, I was burned at the stake on harmony-central years ago for calling the univalve a "tweakers amp".

In my experience amps like that can easily lead you down the path to the darkside, as worlez has pointed out.
My Boogie Mark IV was the same way, tweak, tweak, tweak, new tubes, pull this, push that.....all of that tweaking always got me right in the heart of upper mediocre toneland.

Get a Germino or a Dr.Z ans start loving life, you will play more and tweak less.
 

mude

Gold Supporting Member
Messages
3,639
Maybe a Dr Z. Route 66 or Delta 88. Easy and they love pedals.

Evan.
 

riffmeister

Member
Messages
16,595
Originally posted by Mr.Hanky
......Man, I was burned at the stake on harmony-central years ago for calling the univalve a "tweakers amp"......
berrrrrrrrrn him! BERRRRRRRRRN HIM!!!!



I agree with your comments about the Mk IV. When I replaced mine with a TopHat Emplexador, I went:"AAAAAAHHHHHHH!"
 

big mike

Cathode biased
Platinum Supporting Member
Messages
12,967
I'd say spend a bit more time with tubes first, also preamp tubes.

But if you do decide something else, I'll echo the Dr Z recommendations.
 

Mr.Hanky

Member
Messages
3,999
Originally posted by big mike
I'd say spend a bit more time with tubes first, also preamp tubes.

But if you do decide something else, I'll echo the Dr Z recommendations.
I agree with a clause, you do have to know when it is time to pull the plug. Otherwise you will waste a lot of time and money and never get what you want.

It ain't no thang, the amp might just not be for you. The Route 66 is certainly not the amp for everyone, some guys hate it, most love it.
 

65bfdr

Member
Messages
86
From personal experience, I'd vote against spending time with tubes. It'll give you different sound textures but in the end it will just drain your wallet even more. Changing tubes is kind of like tweeking the knobs, only a lot more expensive.
If it's not love at first touch, it usually more or less stays that way, so I'd say sell and spend your money on the right amp.
By the way, did you ever get to try a Sovtek MIG 50? Those are super affordable Marshall eaters. Not really a Plexi sound but more towards a jtm 45/bassman type of sound. It has a great natural break up. It won't set you back more than $3-400.
 

BFC

Member
Messages
1,059
Originally posted by 65bfdr
From personal experience, I'd vote against spending time with tubes. It'll give you different sound textures but in the end it will just drain your wallet even more. Changing tubes is kind of like tweeking the knobs, only a lot more expensive.
If it's not love at first touch, it usually more or less stays that way, so I'd say sell and spend your money on the right amp.
This is where I ended up also. I wanted the Flexi to work because of the power level and the portability but it just didn't work out even after all the tubes and tweaking. Just not my amp I guess.
 




Trending Topics

Top