1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Help I need a bass amp recommendation.

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by echo44, May 23, 2011.

1. echo44

echo44 Member

Hi,
    I am a guitar player so i know nothing about bass amps.
    I am looking for a decent bass amp for my studio don't have a lot to spend
    trying for under $500. My bandmates jam in my studio so I need enough volume to overcome the drummer (don't we all) any ideas?

2. Agitator

Agitator Member

I've always liked the Fender Bassman combos. I have a 100watt version that's great for practices and some gigs. I played guitar in a band with a guy who had one of these, too. They seem to have more "presence" than a lot of smaller bass combo amps.

3. Llama

Llama Member

If you are looking for a combo, get a Hartke kickback. There are several versions available.

4. trwigg

trwigg Member

I have an SWR Workingman's 15 that I have had since 1998 with zero problems.

5. patrickbrose

patrickbrose Member

I have a Gallien Krueger 800RB that I love. It is a ton of amp. I currently have it for sale in the Sales Forum. The only reason I am selling it is that I don't use it anymore. But I will say it has been the best bass amp I have ever owned.
    -P

6. harpinon

harpinon Silver Supporting Member

People will generally defend the amp they own.
    I went through a lot of them, thinking each one was great until I put it up against a drummer or tried a new one. I won't even suggest one. I will tell you to go to the biggest store you can find and try them all. One after another quickly. Make sure to push it hard. I found out most bass amps sound good set low, but push it hard and many begin to sound farty.

Oh, and make sure to bring YOUR bass guitar.

Good luck.

7. teletran1175

teletran1175 Member

Hartke is hard to beat for the money.

8. Llama

Llama Member

Very True! Honestly, I was reluctant to buy one because of the price, I thought there was no way to shove that much tone and quality into one amp for that little amount of money. I was wrong! They are great amps, and you get such a great price on it! Its like an instant rebate! :)

9. sixstringslut

sixstringslut Member

Hartke? Are you guys serious?...this is the gear page you know. lol

It's OK if it is cheap. But then the Blue Line Ashdowns are killer on the cheap, and no I don't have one to defend. Old basser had one, 180 watts of thumping goodness.

10. Llama

Llama Member

There is nothing wrong with those Hartkes. The OP has a spending limit of $500. For under that amount I would definitely buy a Hartke. I had a Hartke kickback, and it was awesome. I traded it towards my new Eden rig. There is honestly no comparison, but for under 500 one would be hard pressed to find the cab I have, and that leaves no room for the amp. So, it is all in the context of the original post.

11. mgarrison99

mgarrison99 Silver Supporting Member

I have the Fender Bassman 2x10 for garage jams, but if I were using something in a studio, I'd go with a Hartke, SWR, or GK, depending on the style of music you play. There are also some really cool bass preamps/direct boxes that can get you to the sound you want and either run through a PA or straight to the board. I've heard good things about the newish SansAMP SVT modeling box, and Hartke and Eden also have cool boxes out that could do the trick. A Line6 Bass Pod might be another option...
    [​IMG]$89
    [​IMG]$120 used
    [​IMG]$120 new
    [​IMG]
    $150

12. Warnis

Warnis Member

With a $500 budget, look for Craigslist used amp deals. I have an Acoustic that sounds amazing, it is in your price range. Won't hold much cred around TGP, but try it out for yourself. Your local GC will have them in stock.

13. nedmundo

nedmundo Member

If it's a recording studio, good advice about preamps and DI boxes. You should also consider the new G-K MB series. The MB112 might be sufficient for jams, and would probably sound good with a mic for recording.

Also consider the Roland Cube 100, or, even better, the new Cube 120XL. The amp models can be very useful for recording, and the balanced out can be set as a line out to send the amp models to a PA, mixer, or recorder. I'm not saying they're super hi-fi reproductions of all those amps, but they provide a range of useful sounds unlike just about any other combo. For my band's current recording project, I've ended up using models I never expected to use. It's incredibly versatile, and the new 120XL, with built in tuner and looping feature, is even better.

And yes, it's loud enough to go with a drummer. My band's drummer hits absurdly hard, and it works with him and two guitarists.

14. V-Type

V-Type Member

Stay away from Behringer anything unless dirt cheap.
    They fail in any semi loud venues and their noisegate /compression circuitry just cuts the signal rather than processes it imo at upper volumes.
    My bassist learned this the hard way and a group I had caught last Wed had a full Behriger stack yet when you could hear him it wasnt good at all.
    Hartke's are decent but the Ampegs used imo are the way too go as well as used Markbass. Acoustics sound nice at mild levels but dont pound quite as well as the previous mentioned.
    And for $600 and under you can get some great bass gear used on CL or at GC.
    My local GC sold my bass player a older and beat looking Ampeg cab with a 15" and a 10" with tweeter for $179 used and it literally smokes anything you can buy in that price range or even twice imo.

15. Endr_rpm

Endr_rpm Member

+1 for MB series. Loud, light, and sound good. All in your price range, you just have to decide what speaker config you want.

16. sfarnell

sfarnell Gold Supporting Member

If it doesn't have to be a tube amp there are some inexpensive combos out there. Even Ampeg has an inexpensive SS amp.

I needed a bass player for a simple project that I was working on and couldn't find one. So, I bought a bass and a Mesa Walkabout . I was amazed at the tone and the punch coming out of that little thing and it's a tube amp. I bought the bass head without the cab for $525 on eBay. After the project was over I sold the Mesa and didn't lose any money.

As long as you're not playing too loud you can safely use a 2X12 closed back guitar cab if you have one.

17. Endr_rpm

Endr_rpm Member

Negative- he stated specifically that he needs to get enough volume to hang with a drummer. That'll shred most guitar 2x12s.

And hate to quibble, but the Walkabout has a Tube in the preamp, but a SS power section.

18. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

You'll laugh but Peavey bass amps are cheap and get the job done.

19. sfarnell

sfarnell Gold Supporting Member

Not my experience. I have an Earcandy Buzzbomb 2X12 loaded with EVM12L speakers. They handled the Walkabout's 300 Watts without a hitch and it was no problem hanging with a drummer. If it was more than 300 Watts I'd use a bass cab.

20. Endr_rpm

Endr_rpm Member

Well, yeah, with 200W speakers that changes the equation somewhat :)