HELP!!! I Need A New Amp....Which One?!?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by led zep fan, Jan 16, 2006.

1. led zep fan

led zep fan Member

Hi all, I'm new here but this place seems to be the place to ask this question:

Which amp out there should I get? I'm looking for a 2 x12 combo that's loud enough to play bars of all sizes, and has a vintage Marshall type overdrive sound. I'm not interested in those DSL TSL things, if it's one channel I'd be happy and just turn down for cleans. I've checked out a Soldano reverb-o-sonic 50 watter, although it's not very Marshall-like, but I do love Warren Haynes early Mule tone as well. Any suggestions folks? Used or new, I don't care. THANKS.

2. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

Bogner Shivas can get that great Marshally OD. I don't think they come as a 2x12 combo, but they do make a 1x12 that sounds like a 4x12. Other than that, Budda comes to mind.

3. JeffD

JeffD Very slow but persistent Supporting Member

California Central Coast between LA and the Bay
    How about one of the 2x12 Bluesbreaker clones?

4. humbucking

humbucking Supporting Member

how about a late 70's Marshall JMP combo!!!! come on now! you can still get em for about a grand. i just played an awesome one the other day at my local dealer & had to remind myself i am looking for an old Magnatone!(besides i have the head anyway!2204)

5. led zep fan

led zep fan Member

Thanks for the responses guys, I've thought about a late 70's JMP in the past, and it is a good choice, but what about something new as an option as well?

6. Den

Den Member

You might want to give Randall Aiken a call ... I'll bet he has some tremendous solutions to meet your needs.

7. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

+1 on an Aiken. Extraordinary stuff, fair price considering the level of quality.

8. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Gold Supporting Member

Isnt Guytron coming out with a combo?

9. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

BluesBreaker. BluesBreaker. BluesBreaker. BluesBreaker. BluesBreaker. BluesBreaker. BluesBreaker. BluesBreaker. BluesBreaker. BluesBreaker. BluesBreaker. BluesBreaker. BluesBreaker. BluesBreaker. BluesBreaker. BluesBreaker. BluesBreaker. BluesBreaker. BluesBreaker. BluesBreaker. BluesBreaker. BluesBreaker. BluesBreaker. BluesBreaker. BluesBreaker. BluesBreaker. BluesBreaker.

+OD pedal.

10. led zep fan

led zep fan Member

Clay Aiken!?!?!?!?:eek:

Just joking..... Too bad the Invader is no longer being produced, it sounds right up my alley. Maybe I'll try to find a used one...

11. Plan9FOS

Plan9FOS Member

Buy a Budda SD 45 or SD 80 2x12 Combo, and live the dream. Too loud for the small joints I play though ...

Aiken 30 watt Invader sounded great too ... I owned an Intruder with the Master volume, and regretted not getting the Invader with the hot plate built in. Mr. Aiken should make a 2 channel version of the Invader someday for us non-purists ...

I personally am going back to a Shiva, with the volume mod for the boost switch. Some say it is compressed, but any amp with the preamp floored will sound that way. If you dig Lenny Kravitz or the old Free tone, or late Zep for that matter, then a Shiva will do it at small/medium club volumes. Get the boost mod though if you go with a Shiva ... makes it essentially a 3 channel amp (clean, rhythm, lead). I have seen 2x12 Shiva combos ... but those are butt heavy ...

12. Den

Den Member

BTW ... if you're set on a 2x12 set-up, you may want to consider a head and cab configuration ... sure is easier to handle (especially if your considering something like a Shiva). It's also nice to have the flexibility to use different cabs if your needs change ... and believe me, there can be a big difference from one cab to another.

13. Sharkey

Sharkey Member

Here ya go http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=124532

Not a combo but here's an Invader at a great price with a matching 2x12 cab. I just picked one up and love it for the tones you speak of of (Got Mule) Great for small to medium sized clubs. Not alot of headroom with this one but I like a little hair on my cleans for classic Rock.:dude

14. hitchcockblonde

hitchcockblonde Supporting Member

JohnnyThunders is selling an AIken Invader and 2-12 cabinet right now (look in the amp emporium). Aiken amps SLAY! And Johnny's a great guy.

15. Plan9FOS

Plan9FOS Member

Exactly why I have never gigged with a combo .... in 30 years! Buy a head and swap cabs at will ... separate cabs sound better than combo cabs ... the chassis takes less punishment too ...

16. jpage

jpage Silver Supporting Member

(other guy asked the same question--apologize for the paste job)

Voodoo Amps V-Plex. Point-to-point, painstaking exact clone of a '68 plexi. More headroom than you could ever want, and with the PPIV master ($50 extra I believe) all the classic OD tones that lurk in your head. VHI, Zep, SRV, AC/DC, Jimi, E. Johnson et al. No Slayer or modern pop rock flavors though so if that's what you are into look elsewhere. But since Trace builds it to your specs, if you are into something a bit heavier (George Lynch?) he would cheerfully tweak it to your liking. The guys a genius.

Amp takes to pedals better than any other amp I've ever owned (and I've owned a whole lot of 'em) slap a tube screamer, an OCD and a wah in front of her and you will be in heaven.

He does a 2x12 combo but damn that has got to be heavy. I'd think a 50 watter + a decent 2x12 cab would be much more back friendly. For a few hundy more, that's the route I'd take.

17. led zep fan

led zep fan Member

18. jpage

jpage Silver Supporting Member

For that kind of cash you really can't go wrong. And his feedback is all good. Why not?

19. homerayvaughan

homerayvaughan Supporting Member

If you want a vintage Marshall vibe, check out a THD Flexi - plenty loud enough, one channel with a great boost, can take a multitude of tubes. It's not a combo, but it's compact enough, and they sell a bag that you can carry it in. That with a 2x12 would be great. I have one, PM me if you want more details.