Help! I think I broke my phaser...

King Loudness

Hey guys,

I just got this Whirlwind Orange Box in from a fellow TGP'er and decided to try tweaking the internal trimpot to get a more subtle phase sound ala EVH. However now the unit doesn't seem to swirl, but rather just kind of acts as a treble booster. The pot on the front does nothing anymore. I didn't do anything but adjust the trim pot on the inside, so I can't figure out what's up. Any advice?

Thanks,

W.

dshobe

Rocky Mountain Way By The Atlantic
Gold Supporting Member
I did this with an old Maestro phaser, just keep tweaking the internal trim pot until you get it. I'm going to assume that it isn't marked. It took a while to do it on the Maestro, but there were 3 trimmers and they were old and fragile. Don't worry, you'll get it, just be patient. Walk away for a bit if you need to.

King Loudness

Cool, yeah I put it back the way Fulldrive suggested and it's okay... I'll try to mess with the trim-pots in a couple weeks when I've had it a while.

W.

Rich_S

Just yesterday I was reading something on the web about that pot, but in an MXR Phase 90. Apparently, a lot of people think it's an intensity adjustment, change it, and cause their phaser to stop working. It's NOT an intensity control; it's a trimmer to compensate for component tolerances in the oscillator circuit. If you change it, it messes up the oscillator and it stops oscillating, so the phaser doesn't sweep. Put it back where it was, then tweak it to get it sweeping again.

You can't adjust the depth or intensity on a Phase 90 with swapping components.

loosegroove

The best thing to do to tweak the pot is with the intensity dimed and the speed up, have it engaged while a friend is playing (or while using a looping pedal). Gradually turn the pot either direction from the original setting to see what effect it has and to dial in the sweet spot.

Top Bottom