Help! I think I fried my amp!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by striven82, Jan 17, 2008.

1. striven82

striven82 Member

I just plugged in my new blues custom 30 for the first time about a half hour ago. Right away, the reverb didn't work. After about 5 minutes playing in 15 watt mode, she made a really high pitch squeal and then a loud electrical low hum, lotsa bass in the hum. What the hell? Is it just bad tubes from shipping? Should I take the cover off and have a look around?

2. teleamp

teleamp Senior Member

Its probably a tube problem, the builder will probably help you out.

MikeY

3. mrmega

mrmega Member

I will agree with the tube problem.

I got a new amp about a month ago that did almost the same thing you described.

Come to find out one (or both) of the power tubes was bad so it fried both of them, same squeel noise etc.

When the tubes blew it also fried a diode. I took it back the the store, the tech replaced the diode & power tubes and all has been well.

Hope that is all it is... let us know how it turns out for you.

4. striven82

striven82 Member

Ok, I took out all of the 12ax7's and tested each of them in my valve junior...they all worked fine. I wonder if the reverb is 12ax7 powered or 6l6? The only tubes I couldn't test are the power tubes (which both glow nicely and look the same) and the rectifier. Damn. I'll probably send it back tomorrow.

5. The Captain

The Captain Supporting Member

It won't be a pre-amp tube, it will be a power tube failure.

6. striven82

striven82 Member

Both of the power tubes are still glowing. When I turn the amp on..it still works and gets loud. The reverb doesn't work at all though. The dirty channel is really thin sounding too. Anyone know which tube powers the reverb?

7. mrmega

mrmega Member

I'm not familiar with that amp so I don't know which tube is the reverb...

If it were me, I would get it to my tech ASAP and not play it anymore. There is definitely something going on, and playing it further could cause more problems and make it harder to fix.

8. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Second the tech. It could be a bad cap in the power supply letting 60/120 hZ hum thru. More likely a tube problem.