Help ID an unusual Cort electric

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by UncleLongJohn, Aug 9, 2018.

1. UncleLongJohn

UncleLongJohn Member

Hi All -

I'm new here - hoping to tap into your collective wisdom to ID this guitar.

I found this at a yard sale ~20 years ago (for $25!!) and have searched the internet off and on over the years for a similar example, but have not been able to find any clues as to it's identity.

Strat-ish shape, but with a 5-piece laminated neck-through-body. (Fits perfectly in a Strat case.) Two 'Powersound' humbuckers. Volume, volume, master tone pots. Two mini toggles - one a 3-way PU selector, the other seems to mix the HBs in series or parallel (not a coil tap). Brass or bronze bridge plate and nut. Good quality tuners. Clear, gloss finish over coarse-grained, brown-stained hardwood.

It needed a bit of work at first, but it plays like a dream and has been rock solid ever since.

The only issue I have with it is the 'Powersound' PUs - they're brutal, rather harsh, and lack subtlety. They'd probably be just the thing for a metal head, but that's not me. So I'm looking to replace them with something with a more mellow, vintage tone. BUT, this seems to be a rather rare axe, so I hesitate to muck with it if it has any sort of historical or collector value. Granted, this is an old Cort, not a vintage Gibson, but still...

Anybody have any idea what model guitar I have?

Many thanks,
    - John

P.S. The forum is not letting me post photos, but I can take another crack at it if needed.

2. John C

John C Supporting Member

Try putting the photos on Imagur or some other hosting site. I don't use the forum's gallery so I can't help you with posting from it.

I vaguely remember those Corts from back when I was first starting out in 1979-80 but not a lot of details. I still have a few Guitar Player magazines left from that time period so if you can get the photos posted I'll take a quick look and see if there are any ads for them in one of the issues I still have left.

3. UncleLongJohn

UncleLongJohn Member

Yeah, my previous photo hosting site stopped linking and I never got around to signing up for a different one - until just now.

Here's the guitar in question:
    [​IMG]

Any ideas?

Many thanks,
    - John

4. Go Cat Go!!

Go Cat Go!! Member

Wow! That body shape and wood figuring reminds me of an old Aria Pro II Cardinal Series guitar or a Vantage guitar. The top figuring looks like ash. Sorry, that's the best I can do.

Ncp10 likes this.
  5. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

I like it but I don't know what it's called.

6. UncleLongJohn

UncleLongJohn Member

Ash would be my guess too. It's a good looking guitar, but if they had only bookmatched the grain figure from the bass side it would have really been something special.

7. John C

John C Supporting Member

Nice guitar; I did run through my remaining 1980-82 era Guitar Player magazines but couldn't find any Cort ads with that guitar in it.

I hear you about the hosting services; I was on photobucket forever until they started charging for everything, I'm on imagur now but never did try to move everything to it; I just upload from my PC when I need to post something.

8. UncleLongJohn

UncleLongJohn Member

Thanks for checking John C.

I did some more digging on the web this evening and found photos of 3 that seem to be the same model or different grades of the same:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

No useful info, no dates, no model names, but interesting to see one that's a near match and 2 variants.

Best I can tell (from logo variants and hardware details seen on other models), it's from the late '70s to mid '80s. Seems like it wasn't a big seller - some other Corts from that era pop up all over when using a variety of search terms, but not mine. Must have been a limited run, or maybe that model was not distributed in the US?

Go Cat - Yeah, the Aria Cardinals and Vantages do have a similar vibe, and were probably aimed at the same potential customers. They look like cool guitars, but I don't think I've ever seen one in person. I've been thoroughly impressed with the D18 style Aria acoustic I bought used in the early'80s. My first 'good' guitar. Nice guitar with an easy-playing low action that has stayed stable without adjustment for all these years. It has decent tone, but doesn't have the rich, meaty voice of the real Martin I bought many years later. I passed the Aria on to my son when he showed an interest at 14 or 15, and he still loves it at 20. He's become a better player than I'll ever be, so I should probably give him the Martin and go back to the Aria... :rolleyes: Or not. ;-)

Thanks for playing guys,
    - John

9. sleepingtiger

sleepingtiger Supporting Member

I worked at Cort USA 2004-2009 but don't have a clue. My guess is that guitar was made 20 years before my tenure there. As far as the Aria similarity goes, do keep in mind that Cort makes more guitars with other brands on the headstock EVERY year, without exception. They might well have made the Aria in question. Sorry I couldn't help.

Tony

10. ant_riv

ant_riv Supporting Member

I can’t help, but had a Cort neck through similar to this, except mine had three single coil pups and the traditional pick guard setup, if I remember correctly.
    I remember letting it go because the neck was wider and flatter than a traditional strat.
    Very well made guitar, though.

Congratulations OP!
    That was a fantastic price!

11. UncleLongJohn

UncleLongJohn Member

Sleepingtiger - your guestimate of early to mid-80s seems plausible based on similarities to known models.

ant - Neck-through Corts with the Strat pickup configuration seem to have been more popular than mine - lots of photos on the web. The neck on mine is a bit on the narrow side, but I prefer a bit wider to accommodate my clumsy fingers. ;-) It is a solid guitar with very decent hardware - never so much as a scratchy pot.

I remember asking the seller if $25 was really the price. It was dusty, rusty strings, broken pickup ring, intonation off, but it didn't take more than an hour or so to set it right. A screaming deal for sure.

- John