Help ID Strat pickup & harness parts

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Tone Meister, Nov 28, 2018.

1. Tone Meister

Tone Meister Member

These were in my parts bin and I believe them to be vintage Strat pickups/pots/switch. Look at these pictures and tell me what you can about the pickup and pot(s).

The pickup has a red dot on bottom, flat poles, and measures a little over 7K. Switch is Oak Grigsby (51993 0251) and all three pots have the same code. NOTE the orientation of the yellow wire on the pickup.

What do I have here?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Tone Meister

Tone Meister Member

There are two more pickups that match, but wire colors differ. All have a red dot on bottom.

3. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

those are '90s/00's fender american standard/american series pickups, decent but nothing special. flat poles, molded plastic bobbins and the bridge pickup has those screws in the bottom to increase inductance and thus output, sort of like the bottom steel plate on a tele pickup.

that pot came out of something else, certainly not a modern fender.

Tone Meister likes this.
  4. Tone Meister

Tone Meister Member

Found this info for the pots. The early, truly vintage examples are selling for big bucks:

Potentiometer Info
    This potentiometer was made by
    Stackpole Electronics, Inc.
    in the 41st week of 1974

This means that (given this is an original part) this is the earliest possible date your guitar (speaker) was made.

5. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Supporting Member

If you see a set of pickups where the middle pu has different color wire than the bridge and neck and no replacement has ocurred, you can figure its post the period reverse wound/rev polarity middle pickups became common. Figure circa later 80s or after.