• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Help ID Vox AC15C1 noise?

TimmyP

Tube rattle. You should find that tapping on the amp causes the noise too. It could be a preamp or power tube IME. Gently flicking each with a fingernail will find it (careful, they are HOT).

servo

Tube rattle. You should find that tapping on the amp causes the noise too. It could be a preamp or power tube IME. Gently flicking each with a fingernail will find it (careful, they are HOT).
Thanks TimmyP, now that I know what it is I can figure out how to fix it.

:aok

NortheastHick

Silver Supporting Member
Vox amps come with the absolute worst tubes ever. I don't even save them for backups, they go right in the trash. My advise; buy 2 el84's and 3 12ax7's and start pulling tubes.

WillLane

I would change the stock tubes out. Keep them just in case for backups but I'd bet it would be time for you to get a 2nd set of new tubes before you'd have to use the stock tubes again. It could also just be the tube retainers rattling a little bit. Try some e-tape to keep them from vibrating.

Last edited:

servo

Thanks. I've got some JJs, Mullards, and Tung-sols in my Amazon wishlist. Just waiting for one to drop in price before I pull the trigger.

TimmyP

Sometimes it's to reduce/prevent noise pickup, sometimes it reduces microphonics and/or instability (as with the Vietnamese Hand Wired AC15s we have - I added shields to V2 and maybe V3 - I forget - as they were a bit unstable when cranked).

Trending Topics

Top Bottom