help identify a fuzz - McLaughlin/miles Davis

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by SR-OZ, Jul 20, 2009.

1. SR-OZ

SR-OZ Member

anyone can help identify a specific fuzz sound?
    it's taken from Miles Davis "Right off" from Jack Johnson records (one of my favourite). Mc LAughlin plays a guitar solo at the end of the set. very nasty, looks like some kind of superfuzz on clean amp.

there's no tube direct link (song runs 25 mins.), anyway the song is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrmQwreKssw

from web sources i could find he used a Fender Mustang (like in Bitches Brew)...any other info on early McLaughlin electric rig?

cheers

2. fuzzface71

fuzzface71 Member

Cool track! What's the title of the tune again and from which album?

3. SR-OZ

SR-OZ Member

songs is "Right Off" from "Tribute to Jack johnson", miles davis

the solo runs at the end of the song, after 18 min. approximately

4. Thelastninja

Thelastninja Member

I hint octaves up and down in the sound.

I'm absolutely not sure about what pedal it is, but I remember Mahavishnu Orchestra used a lot of Maestro units so it might just be a Maestro Fuzz-Tone. Listen to this clip (they keep tweaking the device throughout the clip):
    http://www.tonefrenzy.com/effects/maestro_fuzztone.html

Also take a listen to the song Go Ahead, John from the Miles Davis album "Big Fun". That song is from the same session as the Jack Johnson album.

Or maybe it is a Mosrite Fuzzrite? http://www.tonefrenzy.com/effects/mosrite_fuzz_rite.html

It sounds more like the Mosrite in my ears.

7thString likes this.
  5. lonelylooper

lonelylooper Plate of shrimp Silver Supporting Member

I think Creepy Fingers does both those pedals.
    So many fuzzes so little time (money?)
    The solo on "Go ahead John" was my second pick for best fuzz solos ever.
    Listened to it yesterday.
    If you ever get a chance (unless you already have) you must hear Henry Kaiser's take on that same solo on the Yo Miles album-Upriver

6. Thelastninja

Thelastninja Member

Interesting indeed! Yeah, the Fuzznugget being the Maestro and the Fuzzfight being the Mosrite. Thanks!

7. E Baxter Put

E Baxter Put Member

I think that's Sonny Sharrock playing there. He is uncredited on that album.

I've heard that McLaughlin is playing a mustang into a cranked Ampeg reverberocket on this recording. I think it was borrowed gear.

8. lonelylooper

lonelylooper Plate of shrimp Silver Supporting Member

Really?!! I believe it, Sonny was a GOD.:dude
    I'm actually listening to LAST EXIT right now, the Koln.

9. seiko

seiko Member

It was a Fender Musicmaster rather than Mustang apparently. I think the fuzz sound is a Jordan Bosstone.

10. monkmiles

monkmiles Supporting Member

Funny you mention this tune because I've been listening to the Jack Johnson a ton recently, specifically Right Off. Also been throwing on some of the Dark Magus sessions too. I love this stuff.

Anyway, unfortunately I don't have any info to add on McLaughlin's setup. I'd like to know more about it though. I dig the fuzzed out tone he's got going. I do hear some octave fuzz going on here and there. I try to cop McLaughlin's and Pete Cosey's fuzz tones with a MJM London Fuzz and an Catalinbread Ottava Magus for octave fuzz.

11. Thelastninja

Thelastninja Member

Sonny Sharrock "only" contributes with some Echoplex feedback work 14 minutes into Yesternow from the Jack Johnson album. This part of Yesternow is really a tune called Willie Nelson. Everything else is John McLaughlin playing.

12. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Member

I thought McLaughlin used his acoustic guitar with the pickup for Jack Johnson? Musicmasters are awesome, btw.

13. strat a various

strat a various Guest

McLaughlin used a camouflage Mustang or Musicmaster on a record with Larry Young. Was it "Extrapolation"? His fuzz sound on that was horrendous ... good thing he can play. When I saw him a few years later with M.O., he sounded like he was running into 50 watt Marshalls and turning them up for distortion.

14. fuzzface71

fuzzface71 Member

I wanna get this cd so bad!

15. Marble

Marble Member

McLaughlin might have been using some sort of Les Paul Custom at this point. Definetly a humbucker tone. I'm pretty sure its just a fuzz face. Very heavy, nasty fuzz tone for sure.

Shortly after, when he formed the Mahavishnu Orchestra they all began using Maestro effects (as mentioned)...more like '72 though. I know the Maestro fuzz is much older than that. I think the extensive Maestro use though came a little bit later...Jan using the ring mod & phase shifter, Jerry using the phase shifter and wah and John using the phase shifter and wah (might have been an older Vox wah however).

16. huskerjohn

huskerjohn Member

John was a big influence on me back in the 70's. Love that tone and I love the song. The combination of Miles and John is a killer combo. Thanks for posting.

17. Dexter.Sinister

Dexter.Sinister Still breathing Gold Supporting Member

My organ/guitar/drums trio is inspired by early electric Miles and Tony Wms Lifetime. I use a Skinpimp mkIII for fuzz with this band (very versatile). Also use a Monsterpiece AD2000 for the Pete Cosey influenced sounds.

DS

18. monkmiles

monkmiles Supporting Member

Found an article where John shares what guitars he used: http://www.eqmag.com/article/poetic-thievery/mar-05/4056. So it indeed appears to be a Mustang he used with his electric miles era.

19. SR-OZ

SR-OZ Member

thank everybody for contribution.

I'm sure in 'Right off' and 'Go ahead john' Miles wanted McLaughlin to sound little bit like Hendrix (in his own way, of course), so that's why its sound more extreme and heavily fuzzed.
    I like it, even though my fav McLaughlin's tone is found in Mahavishnu first record (that should be Lespaul + marshall)

20. fuzzface71

fuzzface71 Member

Thanks I just bought this cd finally today! Thanks for the suggestion. :)