Help identify a Marshall cab and speakers

dwolfggc

I have a Marshall 2x12 that came with the JCM 600 head i bought used. Can anybody tell from the pics what kind of cab it is? A 1966 maybe?
Also some help identifying the speakers in would be much apprieciated. They are just labeled "Eminence" and have the number 121236 on a little label on the magnet.

1317146750795.jpg

1317146663811.jpg

I'm wondering if this cab/the speakers are any good or if i should look into upgrading.
thanks!

donnievaz

I have a Marshall 2x12 that came with the JCM 600 head i bought used. Can anybody tell from the pics what kind of cab it is? A 1966 maybe?
Also some help identifying the speakers in would be much apprieciated. They are just labeled "Eminence" and have the number 121236 on a little label on the magnet.

1317146750795.jpg

1317146663811.jpg

I'm wondering if this cab/the speakers are any good or if i should look into upgrading.
thanks!

Looks like a 1966A to me. Don't know about the speakers but if I had to guess I'd say Eminence Legends. My 1966A had stock G12T-75's in it.

dwolfggc

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they were swapped at some point. I'm also pretty sure it isn't the cab that came with the amp. First because all the info I can find on the JCM 600 says it was paired with a 4x10 cab and second because the feet on the amp were moved to accommodate the recesses on this cab. You can see the old (wider) screw holes on the bottom of the amp.

donnievaz

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they were swapped at some point. I'm also pretty sure it isn't the cab that came with the amp. First because all the info I can find on the JCM 600 says it was paired with a 4x10 cab and second because the feet on the amp were moved to accommodate the recesses on this cab. You can see the old (wider) screw holes on the bottom of the amp.

The 1965a with 4x10's is identical to the 1966a with 2x12's except for the baffle obviously. I'm pretty sure they were sold with the Artist series hybrid amps.

solitaire

The 1965a with 4x10's is identical to the 1966a with 2x12's except for the baffle obviously. I'm pretty sure they were sold with the Artist series hybrid amps.
Yes, this is an early 1966A. I can tell because it has those 1960 type handles. Later these cabs got smaller, less prone to crack tuck-in handles. Replacing speakers also don't require removal of the later type. The 1965 and 1966 also came in a straight/ B format.

Came with miniatyrised JCM800 solidstate heads and some JCM900s as part of the ministack series. Later with the 25th Silver Jubilee series they were released as 2556 and more recently as the 2061CX with the handwired 20W Plexi RI. That would lead me to believe, though not sure, that this format in 410 config (precursor to the 1965A it would seem) first appeared with the original 2061.

http://www.drtube.com/marshall.htm

dwolfggc

Thanks! I was hoping it was a 1966a as I'd heard that they were good 2x12 cabs (at least for Marshall), better even than the 1936. It sounds good, the handles rattle a little though.

Anybody got any thoughts on the speakers?

Sirloin

Silver Supporting Member

Replace 'em. I have a 2x12 Slant "Marshall" vintage or "plexi" style cab I just got from Mojotone. It looks like similar dimensions. I put 2x16ohm Celestion G12H30s in mine and it sounds great!

solitaire

Thanks! I was hoping it was a 1966a as I'd heard that they were good 2x12 cabs (at least for Marshall), better even than the 1936. It sounds good, the handles rattle a little though.

Do the handles have cracks of any sort? Could replace stock with metal ones, which I did on mine.

Sorry, no info on the speakers. Eminence is supposed to be the largest OEM manufacturer so it can be anything, really. No codes and what do the speakers look like from afront? Seem to feature rather light magnets and often that is a teller the speakers are of a fairly simple and low cost design. Though obviously there are exceptions to that rule.
Replace 'em. I have a 2x12 Slant "Marshall" vintage or "plexi" style cab I just got from Mojotone. It looks like similar dimensions. I put 2x16ohm Celestion G12H30s in mine and it sounds great!
I believe that is what comes with the 2061CX as well.

Sirloin

Silver Supporting Member
Do the handles have cracks of any sort? Could replace stock with metal ones, which I did on mine.

Sorry, no info on the speakers. Eminence is supposed to be the largest OEM manufacturer so it can be anything, really. No codes and what do the speakers look like from afront? Seem to feature rather light magnets and often that is a teller the speakers are of a fairly simple and low cost design. Though obviously there are exceptions to that rule.
I believe that is what comes with the 2061CX as well.

Yep...what I have is very close to a 2061x. I ordered mine with a sound post. The magnets on the G12H's do add some weight, but it's worth it.

schwa

This might be a silly question, but on my 1966 cab there's a pretty prominent plate above the input jack that says it's an 8 ohm 1966 cab. I wonder why someone would remove it.

I have the 1966, 2061x, and the Mojo cab. While I like the mojo best, they're more similar than different. G1275's would likely be a relatively inexpensive upgrade, and G12-65's are what I like best with a MV Marshall.

Since I have 4 of these style cabs, I would say they're pretty good.

solitaire

This might be a silly question, but on my 1966 cab there's a pretty prominent plate above the input jack that says it's an 8 ohm 1966 cab. I wonder why someone would remove it.

I have the 1966, 2061x, and the Mojo cab. While I like the mojo best, they're more similar than different. G1275's would likely be a relatively inexpensive upgrade, and G12-65's are what I like best with a MV Marshall.

Since I have 4 of these style cabs, I would say they're pretty good.
Could be the previous owner infact found it too prominent. ;) Or in purpose of evading identification of some reason.

4 of them?! And I though I had a serious addiction having 3 of them. Makes me feel so much better! :)

I'm using Fane Medusa 150s in one, 150-Cs in another and Weber Californias in the last one, which I have turned into a 1/3 open back.

schwa

Could be the previous owner infact found it too prominent. ;) Or in purpose of evading identification of some reason.

4 of them?! And I though I had a serious addiction having 3 of them. Makes me feel so much better! :)

I'm using Fane Medusa 150s in one, 150-Cs in another and Weber Californias in the last one, which I have turned into a 1/3 open back.

Yeah I have 4 of them - 1965a, 1966b, 2061cx, and the Mojotone. I also have a 1974cx style cab (1x12).

The thing is that they go great with my Marshalls. I have the Class 5 head, 2061x (20w) and a 2204s (small box JCM800 that fits on top of these cabs perfectly).

The 2061cx and 1974cx have Greenbacks, the Mojo has G12-65's and the 196x cabs are stock with 10" G10-35's and G12-75's.

Each amp has a "favorite" cab, but I like mixing and matching as well.

solitaire

I'm envious. You don't see many of those around and I let one slip through my fingers a while back. Would you say the B model is larger internally and therefore sound different?

Sorry for possibly hijacking the thread. :)

dwolfggc

I'm pretty sure the speakers are Eminence.

Aaahh, now that label on the back makes sense!:rotflmao

The handles rattle because the actual handle spins inside the casing, I looked into getting some of the cool metal ones but it was more money than I want to spend on something like that. I'll probably just put some tape on it or something.

I was just reading about the g12-65s in another thread. I was thinking of getting some WGS ET65s as they are affordable enough to be a realistic option for me (the celestials aren't unless I can find a good deal on some used ones).

As for the thread, hijack away! You don't hear a lot about these more obscure Marshall cab styles. I'd love to hear anything anybody has to offer.

solitaire

Aaahh, now that label on the back makes sense!:rotflmao

The handles rattle because the actual handle spins inside the casing, I looked into getting some of the cool metal ones but it was more money than I want to spend on something like that. I'll probably just put some tape on it or something.

I was just reading about the g12-65s in another thread. I was thinking of getting some WGS ET65s as they are affordable enough to be a realistic option for me (the celestials aren't unless I can find a good deal on some used ones).

As for the thread, hijack away! You don't hear a lot about these more obscure Marshall cab styles. I'd love to hear anything anybody has to offer.
Yes, I think that was the case with my early 1966 as well, but then the corners had cracks, probably from age and possibly from over tightnening the screws (the 1960 should have riveted handles). I'm sure though you can glue the tube bit of the handle so that it doesn't rattle for you.

The 65s are great speakers and from what I've heard the WGSs are even nicer to my ears; not as 'barbed' in the mids as the original and fluffy in a more evenly distributed way. Used to have original 65s in the 1960 that now belongs to my guitar tutor.

Yes, and I actually attempted a thread on these very cabs a while back, as I am noticably a big fan of them. Probably the best 212 Marshall did, save for the fibreboard back-boards that can structurally crack with age and start drumming in an uncontrolled way.

Top Bottom