Help identify this fender pickup

rwijaya

That looks like a fat 50's custom shop pickup bridge position.

is the pole pieces beveled? it seems like its beveled.

rwijaya

Thanks y'all. Staggered yes, beveled no.
some fat 50's has a subtle beveled poles, where if you looks at it sparingly, you will think that its a straight cut pole, some has a massive beveled. from your picture, it looks like there is slight bevel.

its just my best guess. my other best guest would be a custom shop 54 pickup.

walterw

Gold Supporting Member
sorry, just saw the rest of the pics;

that actually does look like a texas special bridge pickup with the custom shop sticker, the red dot and vintage staggered poles that are basically sharp-edged.

i think the fat '50s have a bit more bevel.

is this one of a complete set? if so does the middle pickup hum-cancel with the neck and the bridge? that'll also help narrow it down.

Tootone

sorry, just saw the rest of the pics;

that actually does look like a texas special bridge pickup with the custom shop sticker, the red dot and vintage staggered poles that are basically sharp-edged.

i think the fat '50s have a bit more bevel.

is this one of a complete set? if so does the middle pickup hum-cancel with the neck and the bridge? that'll also help narrow it down.
This is what I thought when I saw the red blob on the underside of the B pole-piece. When you said it sounds great that just confirmed it.

The Tone Ranger

Supporting Member
How do I tell if it's middle is hum cancelled? The resistance I measured in bridge was 6.3k. There is a very slight bevel. The guitar has the CS bridge and middle with a vintage rail neck.

rwijaya

How do I tell if it's middle is hum cancelled? The resistance I measured in bridge was 6.3k. There is a very slight bevel. The guitar has the CS bridge and middle with a vintage rail neck.
the middle is either Reverse wound or not, if it is RWRP, the in between sound will be hum canceling.

walterw

Gold Supporting Member
Wrong color magnet wire for a Texas Special.
the TSs have the darker insulation? i don't remember.
How do I tell if it's middle is hum cancelled? The resistance I measured in bridge was 6.3k.
that seems low for a texas special bridge, they spec it at 6.7k.

also, looking at it and the middle pickup again, i see a little more bevel than i think the TSs have.

another quick way to tell if the middle is RW/RP is to hold a little magnet over it, then over the bridge pickup; if one pushes while the other pulls then the middle is opposite polarity from the bridge.

The Tone Ranger

Supporting Member
The neck and bridge both push the magnet away. They neck being a vintage rails is split so one side pulls and one side pushes.

walterw

Gold Supporting Member
The neck and bridge both push the magnet away. They neck being a vintage rails is split so one side pulls and one side pushes.
?

the neck is a duncan rails, it's neither here nor there. what does the middle do compared to the bridge?