Help Identify this speaker Please

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Gtr_Eng, Oct 11, 2008.

1. Gtr_Eng

Gtr_Eng Member

Can anybody identify this speaker for me? I've looked all over the web and the closest I can get is some type of G12 Celestion. This speaker is currently in a late 70's 135wt SFTR. It probably is original to the amp but not 100% sure. The red color is different than the red on an emminence red coat series speaker.

Here's a link. Hope it works.
    http://picasaweb.google.com/babelfishinmyear/StudioPics08?authkey=56CAMjDo7YA#

thanks for any help

2. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Are there any numbers on the frame? It doesn't look like a Fender speaker so probably not original to the amp. How does it sound?

3. Gtr_Eng

Gtr_Eng Member

When I got the amp it had an EVM12L and this speaker in it. I took the EVM12L out and put it in my boogie. I put a JBL 120K into the Twin alongside the red speaker. The twin sounds wonderful with these two speakers in it. Very warm. I Haven't found any markings on it yet but it's pretty dirty. I'll try to clean it up sunday and see if I can find any markings. I do know though that celestion used this color(or similar) of red for the old powercell speaker. But this doesn't look anything like a powercell other than matching the color. Check out this link. Theres a Rola Celestion powercell about halfway down the page. Also look at the Rola Celestion Yellow Framed 50wt speaker. The one I have looks a lot like the yellow framed one but is the color of the powercell 100wt speaker.

http://www.amps-n-bits.com/guitar-speakers/celestion-guitar-speakers/celestion-guitar-speakers.htm

Thanks for the help!

4. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

Looks like a McKenzie. Marshall used them in the Club & Country combo. I think they are about 80 watts. A bit stiff in my opinion. They came in 15 and 10 inch versions as well. I've got a few floating around somewhere. I'll see if I can dig them up for pictures.

5. Gtr_Eng

Gtr_Eng Member

Thanks for the info. Would love any info you have on McKenzie speakers

Googling McKenzie doesn't reveal much as of yet.

Did they come stock in late 70's fenders or is this most likely a replacement speaker?
    Any idea what it might be worth? I have no plans to sell it but just curious what I might have.

thanks again
    Todd

6. Roccaforte Amps

Roccaforte Amps Member

7. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

I have never known them to come stock in any Fender.

8. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

Took two pictures tonight. They ain't great, but they do show the label pretty well. The color of the frame looks a bit off from reality though. I also have a pair of McKenzie 15's in a Brown Marshall 2x15 cabinet that might photograph better.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Gtr_Eng

Gtr_Eng Member

Yea that's the speaker alright. Thanks for confirming that for me. :BEER

This particular amp has an interesting history. It belonged to the lead guitarist of a band that I used to love to go see called "Mr. Resistor and the Incapacitators". They were an original band that played their own versions of cover songs as well as their originals. Their style was heavily punk influenced with more of a traditional classic rock feel and almost bluesy leads. The band was headed by two brothers, each with a SFTR turned up very loud. Their shows were very high energy with these balsy but not very distorted guitar sounds. This amp was a huge part of their sound to say the least. They put out some recordings back in the 80's when they were active but the energy of their shows just didn't translate to a home stereo. They were a Great club band though.

I got the amp from a friend who had bought it directly from the band. It wasn't working so I told him I'd give him $200 for it provided it was salvageable. I took it to my amp tech who got it running with minimal investment. Altogether I have less than $350 in the amp. I'll keep it and restore it for sentimental values as much as anything. BTW, it still has a great tone. Surprising for a 135wt fender. In fact my amp tech thought it was one of the better sounding amps he's ever heard. I think he was a little surprised at how good it sounded given the fact that he builds clones of early era fenders under the name Hamilton-Kolbe.

thanks to all for the info.
    Todd